Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2009, 08:11 PM   #11

Re: Is a Dana 44 front axle to small for a e350

Thats a good idea about calling them,The frame mounts are included in the deal, I may be able to talk them into giving me the front half of the frame. Both lower swing arms are bent because of the van being moved by a fork lift, I was planing one making new ones ,the originals i saw on a 2006 quinley with a dana 60 seam very week,why didnt they use atleast 1/8 tube stock? If i get the cross member I wount have to section out my old one. Unfortunetly to upgrade to a dana 60 would would involve a lot of welding to the dana 60,not up to that. Does anyone know a good contact at Quinley??? Dave thanks

unimogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:16 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by unimogdave
Does anyone know a good contact at Quinley??? Dave thanks
From what I've read you might try Todd Quigley.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:44 PM   #13

Thanks Daved i will call Todd monday. I'm going to go ahaed and get the conversion,the yard seems to be working with me ,it turns out the transfer case on the 99 will not fit my 4r100 so they have a good working one with the correct speedo hole, not sure what case it is. Talk about a crash course on drive lines. Anyone have any advice on gears for 5.9 gasser running 32" tires ??

Thanks again to all Dave INFORMATION IS POWER
Old 08-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #14

Yeah, check the gear ratio in both axles before using 4wd. If they are different, you'll have to change one of them anyway, so at that point you should decide if a taller gear is necessary to compensate for larger tires.

Luckily you can build it and drive it with the (ostensibly) larger tires to see what kind of power you actually have- with either if the gears are different and you can remove the rear shaft w/o losing fluid.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:51 PM   #15

Well the front 44 has 3.79 and my existing rear is 3.54, I will at least go to 3.79 and maybe a locker in the rear. Since the wrecking yard is going to give me a transfer case from stock does anyone have any sugestion on what is best. It needs to be manual of course nt203???! Dave
Old 08-12-2009, 11:09 PM   #16

Well i gave the yard 500 the other day and they started to cut the van up. I talked them into giving me the front frame section of the van so i can get the cross member, cant wait for this weekend to start in on it! Thanks for the advice i will post update and more questions Thanks to all.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:33 AM   #17

Can't say it enough: PHOTOS, PHOTOS, PHOTOS!
Old 08-29-2009, 06:58 PM   #18

Well i got the parts last week, the yard did a great job removing everything, They gave me the front 4 feet of the frame so i can copy all the sectioning that Quigley does. Interesting quigley uses all the Ford factory bolt holes (rear radius mounts) to locate the front supension so their is no guessing were it goes. I question weather all the aditional plates that are welded to the frame is really necasary but I'm going to copy it anyways for safety. The other interesting thing is the use of a special adapter between the trany and tansfer case, this eliminates the need to tear down the trany to change the output shaft, unfortunetly I have a 4r100 (original van had a 4r70)so the adapted will not work for me. I will have to get the ford tail housing and shaft and may have to mess with the drive shafts. My lower radius arm ar both bent from the van being lifted with a chain. Does anyone have a extra set from when Quigley had the recall. I will try to post some photos soon.. Thanks Dave
Old 08-30-2009, 11:43 AM   #19

As I am in Alaska I see many 4x4 Vans and most are Quigley's. I have a 2001 E250 Quigley with a Dana 44 front. The D44 is a good front in the Vans and not to bad even with a Diesel. Think about all the 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks made between 65 and current with the added leverage of the engine farther forward then our Vans and then adding a winch or 900lbs of plow (or both). If you are planning heavy off-rod I would go with the D60 just for the added piece of mind. I might have some old style (u shapped) arms but not until sometime in Jan/Feb.
Old 09-02-2009, 06:12 PM   #20

thanks for the help. I'm a little dispapointed their is no way to adjust for caster on the Quigley. If I have to spend 300 or so for new lower radious arms i may just make new ones , I found new bushing with threaded arms already made or about 40.00 each, a simple welding job. Dave