Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2018, 06:38 AM   #1

Is bumper weight a concern

Like the title says I’m in the market for a front bumper.

I have a 2004 Quigley converted e350 van. I drive it approx 5-7k a year. The van is a 15 passenger van that will hold the wife two kids and gear for long weekend of camping. So no conversions stuff here. Just an empty van that gets loaded with gear.

I’m between the trail ready pre runner bumper (with the small brush bar) and the new ujoint bumper (with no bar). The trail ready bumper is approx #210 with out a winch and the unjoint I’m guessing is less than #100. I like the idea of a brush bar to keep a stray deer out of my grill. The price will be about the same and I plan on adding a warm vr12000 winch as well.

Does the added #100 from the steel bumper infront of the axle really matter that much?

Any thoughts or comments would be great.

White_whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:39 AM   #2

Just upgrade the springs as needed to restore lost ride height and travel.
Old 01-18-2018, 07:24 AM   #3

Yes! Thanks for the advice. I know there is a lot of discussion out there about excessive wear, poor handling etc from the extra weight. Just wondering how much that applies to my situation.
White_whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:51 AM   #4

More weight can accelerate wear on ball joints and bearings, but so can bigger tires.

Handling should not be affected, but an alignment after all the weight is added is a very good idea.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_whale View Post
I like the idea of a brush bar to keep a stray deer out of my grill. The price will be about the same and I plan on adding a warm vr12000 winch as well. .

I have a heavy steel bumper and winch up front, but I haven't seen any excessive wear yet. As for a bar keeping the deer out of the grill, at anything over about 10mph I don't think it's going to help much, but it sure can't hurt.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
As for a bar keeping the deer out of the grill, at anything over about 10mph I don't think it's going to help much, but it sure can't hurt.
I've tested my Buckstop at freeway speeds. Its works as claimed. The only signs of impact have been the license plate being die-pressed by the deer so now its the same shape as the bracket, and I had large animal wrap around the tire after being hit and broke out the foglight from behind.

I've also tried pushing large boulders with it, and it makes a very effective rock-breaker
Old 01-18-2018, 06:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
I've tested my Buckstop at freeway speeds. Its works as claimed.
Wow, that's good to know. My only experience stems from seeing plenty of wrecks at a buddys body shop in Fairbanks. I suppose it's a little different there though, because most hits are moose, possibly the dumbest animal on the planet. (They routinely get in head butting contests with freight trains cuz they don't like walking in the deep snow)
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #8

I had a cheaper brush guard on my pick up when I slammed a monster buck at 60mph. I was able to drive the hour and a half home, instead of calling a wrecker. The front end did get pretty jacked up, but still drivable, and the core support was protected. I'm getting thebig beefy one we use on the ambulance for my van.

If you have any concern about deer, or other animals get one with a guard.
NEIA Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:54 AM   #9

On an E350 van that already weighs north of 8500lbs, from my experience I wouldn't worry about adding another ~2-1/2%, or 200lbs of sprung weight a couple feet in front of axle.

I've added my spare tire up front and heavier bumper. I have a front hitch receiver and sometime roll with a rack up front, sometimes carry my 75lb generator up there. I've even strapped a 100lb VW engine and carried it over 500 miles on my front rack, and never noticed a difference in handling.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:11 AM   #10

Why not go with an Aluminess bumper? Doesn't weight much more than the stock one and has a place to mount a winch. I've been very happy with mine. Great protection for the front of the van...I was having trouble with the fender flares being torn up when shoving the van through thick brush and the Aluminess stopped that.