Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Kinda urgent question re Limited Slip

Hey all.
Putting in our order today for Transit SMB.
Question:

-If I get the LS differential from the Ford factory, will that have a significant impact on adding 4x4 later, which is our plan (in about 2-3 years)?

I don't want to order LSD on my van and then later learn that it will now cost significantly more to add 4x4!!!

Thanks in advance!

-David

SoonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 09:06 AM   #2

LS rear end will be used in the 4x4 conversion. Unless you want to get a locking rear end, then get the LS for sure. Biggest thing is that if you go 4x4 and larger tires, you may need to change gears. Best to get the gears you want for 4x4 right away and get the LS.
Old 08-05-2017, 09:55 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flux View Post
LS rear end will be used in the 4x4 conversion. Unless you want to get a locking rear end, then get the LS for sure. Biggest thing is that if you go 4x4 and larger tires, you may need to change gears. Best to get the gears you want for 4x4 right away and get the LS.
One (very-likely-obvious?) thought/perspective to add to this:

Q: SoonerDave, will your planned future 4x4 conversion include a significant suspension lift (and more importantly, will it involve going to significantly-larger tire OD?)

If that's the case....and, as you've said, you're going to be driving this for 2-3 years in the original 2WD configuration before eventually getting your 4x4 setup, you want to be sure that you choose a initial rear gearing ratio that works well for the smaller-OD original 2WD factory tires you'll be driving on during that time.

In many (most?) cases the rear end gears are significantly lower (larger numerical ratio) on the 4WD conversions. (Both to compensate for the taller 4x4 tires and to add additional grunt for off-road climbing.) (As Flux was alluding to.)

Choosing the potentially-lower-rear-end gearing "that you want for 4x4" now, and then running it with the smaller-OD original 2WD tires....could mean you are over-revving your van's drivetrain on the highway for the next 2-3 years.

Perhaps this is already part of your current thought process, just figured I'd bring it up.
MountainBikeRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerDave View Post

-If I get the LS differential from the Ford factory, will that have a significant impact on adding 4x4 later, which is our plan (in about 2-3 years)?
No impact on 4x4 conversions.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 10:48 AM   #5

MtNBikeRoamer: Great question, and no - we don't anticipate going whole hawg on the 4x4 to include a big lift and big tires to make it a full-on off road vehicle. Truth is, we may drive for 2-3 years and decide we don't really need the 4x4 at all, especially with the LS. We have an '86 2wd westy now and in 10 years we've only veerrrry rarely not been able to go where we wanted to go. But we live in CO so . . . .

Thank you all for the very helpful replies.
SoonerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:01 AM   #6

Garage
imho if it's in the budget, it's a no brainer. get the lsd.

maybe I'm missing something but not sure what gearing has to do with anything. gearing can be changed on a non limited slip diff just as easy as at can on a limited slip diff right?
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
maybe I'm missing something but not sure what gearing has to do with anything. gearing can be changed on a non limited slip diff just as easy as at can on a limited slip diff right?
For sure! But (as I understood it) the conversation was (in addition to LSD) also addressing the idea of choosing, in advance, the rear axle ratio carefully when the van is first built/delivered new as a 2WD....and possibly picking a gear ratio at that time that is exactly what you'd want to have when you eventually made the 4WD conversion a couple years down the line ---

-- so as to not have to open up the rear axle/diff and change the axle ratio later when doing the 4WD conversion. (Save a few bucks on the conversion when you get around to it, by having the rear axle already set up 100% the way you want it.)

Good idea from a cost-control budget strategy --- but potentially an undesirable compromise to the 2WD configuration's final-drive RPM results....revving too high....when driving on the highway with the modestly-sized original 2WD factory-issue tires.

Old 08-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #8
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Kinda urgent question re Limited Slip

Remember folks, we're talking Transit here, not an econoline. The Ford factory authorized Quigley 4X4 system on the Transit only adds 2" to the overall height of the vehicle, and the upgraded tire size is 245. It depends on what engine and roof height combo you go with as to what axle ratios are even available, SMB would know, or give Quigley a call. As suggested, consider ordering it with your desired ratios you'd want after 4X4 is added later on so you won't have to open up the diffs and change gear sets. I think you'd be looking at 3.73, but definitely order it with limited slip in the rear, you won't need to change that.

'03 Ford E350 7.3L Diesel
SMB RB50 w/CCV top
Quigley 4X4 w/Deavers & Agile RIP kit
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

LSD for the win.
And had three other E350s...
Bbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 01:52 PM   #10

Garage
Hey REF ---- thanks for the reality check!

I have to admit I was thinking more in terms of what's possible with 4WD/lifted Econoline tire sizes when I raised the question of appropriate gear ratio selections. A lot of E-series guys (and gals) are running 4.10 (and higher!) to accommodate their 33's-and-larger meats. Had no idea that the 4WD Transits topped out at a maximum-recommended 245 sizing. (I'm thinking that's somewhere around a 31" tire?)

Next question I'm logically jumping to, based on that new info....

....I'm curious, could that 245-sized tire fit/work OK while still running the factory 2WD ride height? If you're gonna get the 4WD gear ratio and LSD right off the bat, curious if you could also run the 4WD tire size right off the bat as well.

Again, I'm clearly getting hung up on the idea of the van's RPM's running too high, (which it sounds like is basically a non-issue since the 4WD tire size will only be a 245 maximum as you've said, so gear ratio changes won't likely ever get very significant..)

Still.....you've got me curious now what the maximum tire size is that can be stuffed safely under the Transits when they are still running their factory 2WD suspension.

(Apologies if this in any way takes the OP's thread off-course!)