Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-17-2021, 05:45 PM   #1

Leaf mounts

Dear forum,
Do the images attached reflwct stock, or off another Ford, or Quigley specific parts?
Are they called leaf mounts or something else?

E350 Extended quigley
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20210717_1901276.jpg   IMG_20210717_1901090.jpg  

Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:07 PM   #2

The part that is broken is called a spring shackle. The other part mounted on the frame is a spring shackle bracket.
ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #3

Leaf spring shackle?
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...100/10097876-p
can u take them off with a car jack?
Old 07-17-2021, 07:43 PM   #4

Not sure what youre asking, "can you take them off with a car jack?"

If youre asking can you change them yourself, you can change the shackle yourself but the bracket is usually riveted onto the frame. That means you will need either a hand grinder to grind off the rivet heads or an air chisel to cut them off. Once the old bracket is off you would use Grade 8 bolts to install the new brackets instead of rivets.

Also note that if you plan on changing the bushing that goes in the end of the leaf spring you will need a press or a special tool to press the bushing in and press the old one out.
Old 07-18-2021, 04:45 AM   #5

Thanks!
are these stock e350 parts?
Komrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2021, 10:56 AM   #6

They appear to be, all i can do is guess because im not there to see them myself. However the bracket in your picture is still riveted to the frame, that is a good indicator that at least the brackets are original ford parts.
Old 07-19-2021, 04:57 AM   #7

local stores had just the shackle
722-004
the bracket wasn't available, and I checked more than a dozen.
722-074

My neighbor who replaced these on the Bronco at some point in his life said he didn't recall needing a special tool (which I read somewhere was needed)

Will give it a shot by lifting the van in the area of hitch receiver.

Plenty of "standard" tools will be needed, including penetrating rust spray.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:05 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komrade View Post
local stores had just the shackle
722-004
the bracket wasn't available, and I checked more than a dozen.
722-074

My neighbor who replaced these on the Bronco at some point in his life said he didn't recall needing a special tool (which I read somewhere was needed)

Will give it a shot by lifting the van in the area of hitch receiver.

Plenty of "standard" tools will be needed, including penetrating rust spray.
Please be sure to properly brace the vehicle with jack stands. You'll be underneath a vehicle while doing some heavy wrenching.

Herb
Old 07-22-2021, 02:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Also note that if you plan on changing the bushing that goes in the end of the leaf spring you will need a press or a special tool to press the bushing in and press the old one out.
I recently had to replace my leaf spring bushings, and it can be done with a combination of threaded rod and appropriate sockets and thick-walled tubing. That said, I have this type of stuff laying around.

The silver piece in the "removal" photo below was a piece of thick-walled aluminum tubing that I turned down using a lathe chuck on a mill to be just smaller in diameter than the spring eyelet--this was the only "special" tool needed. The dull colored tubing is some Sch 40 tubing I use with my shop press, and was large enough to seat against the spring but act as a receiver as the old bushing was pressed out. The socket and stepped washer (from a u-joint press) are just what I had handy to act as endpieces, with washers and nuts on either end of the threaded rod.

The worn out bushings, new with my aftermarket springs and worn out in a matter of months (!), were 'Type 1' (metal outer, rubber, metal inner). I didn't want the rougher ride and maintenance headaches of poly bushings, so I replaced them with 'Type 3' (rubber outer, metal inner) Moog bushings cross-reference w/ the Ford OEM bushings. We'll see if they hold up! We've done one 3600+ mile road trip with rough roads, and so far they are holding up well.

Removal:

Installation:
Old 07-22-2021, 07:01 AM   #10

Garage
Which aftermarket springs did you go with?