Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #11

Re: Lift Kit / Long Arm Kit for Quigley? Any experience?

Details on the cutting please....what and where?? Was the upgrade just the long arms, or long arms and lift?

Ajamboree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:34 PM   #12

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajamboree1
Adventur- you are currently running 35's on your stock quigley? How bad is the rubbing and have you done any fender trimming? I'm considering 35's on my stock quigley.....what power plant and gear ratios do you have? Does it feel adequate with 35's? Thx...
I ran 35's on my stock quigley for one roadtrip this last winter. the tires rubbed on the very innner corner of the front bumper. it was wet the entire time i had them on, so no damage at all. however, i was going slow everywhere they hit cause they wernt my tires and i didnt wanna chew them up. it you hit a dip at lock, they definitely rubbed harder. just doing the "cut" that so many people do on the stocker front bumper would likely stop any rubbing I had.

I stopped and talked to Derek on my way back from picking up my van last november and he showed me those arms on his personal van. they looked very stout, just not in my budget atm.

my alignment guy said that those would likely help my "wander" by being able to add caster. I look forward to everybodies opinions on these arms as well. would love to make the van a bit more stable at high speeds, and im sure the 9 passengers i had on that roadtrip would strongly agree, lol.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:44 PM   #13

I'm running 325/65/18 nittos on some old wheels we had laying around.
All I had to do was trim the rear area of the front fenders. Easy to do.
No rubbing at all on the driver side, but it does touch slightly at full lock on the passenger side. I attribute this to some sagging front springs (front sits about 1.25" lower than rear). If the front end is lower, the track bar will push the axle a tad over to the passenger side. I've got some 6000lb springs on order, which should give me that 1.25" of height back (van currently has 4600lb springs).

I *could* trim some more off of the fenders and fix the slight rub, as there is room to do so. However, I want to run the bushwhacker flares which will completely cover up what I've trimmed so far. Any more trimming and it might start to look a little "off".

My solution is to just move the axle forward about 1.5". I like the look with the axle forward, and it will give more clearance for tires.

As for those adjustable arms, the price seems right in line with what you're getting. Just pricing out 8 of those johnny joints, tube adapters, and jamb nuts puts you around $750 or more!
Great stuff no doubt. Just not 100% sure that a joint like that is needed. They'll give great articulation, but my van isn't a rock crawler.
Mine came from Quigley with the good "round tube" control arms, and they work great for my needs. That's why I was just planning on lengthening them to push the axle forward.

Here's a pic:

*Edit
Just read the post above mine, and that reminded me that I DID have to trim the corners on the front bumper. Not a big deal for me, as I plan on building my own bumper soon.
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
A friend had this much needed update done. Involved cutting, but was well worth it. He thought it fixed most of the hideous wander.

Z
I thought we were talking about the factory Quigley upgrade. Don't know nothing........................................... .................................................. .................................about the aftermarket stuff.

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #15

Shrennie and Adventr....what engines and gear ratios do you have with those big tires? Adequate power? Maybe I'll do some fender trimming and an aftermarket front bumper, like UJOR's

I have a 5.4 v8 gasser, with 3.55 gears.....maybe wont pull 35's?
Ajamboree1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajamboree1
Shrennie and Adventr....what engines and gear ratios do you have with those big tires? Adequate power? Maybe I'll do some fender trimming and an aftermarket front bumper, like UJOR's

I have a 5.4 v8 gasser, with 3.55 gears.....maybe wont pull 35's?

Mine has the 7.3 diesel and 4.10 gears. It has way more power than you need. Even with a trailer in tow.

For this rig, the bigger tires actually helped out quite a bit on the highway. I can run faster at the same RPM.
Adventr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #17

Garage

^^^ same setup as above. 7.3 and 4:10's, but i added a tuner and a 4" turboback.

everything ive towed has been effortless for this rig. 25' camp trailer loaded to the hilt and a 18-20' heavyass homemade tilt trailer with a civic on it. could barely tell there was anything hooked up to it. keep in mind, i went from a 88 v6 toyota to this, so in my eyes, this rig is like superman, lol.

im actually running 33's now (officially, 285/75/16's...the price for 5 was too good to pass up), but eventually plan on going with the upgraded brake setup when the funds allow and will have to go to a 17" wheel. would like to go a little bigger with the tires at the same time and would love to get or make some adjustable arms. im just at a spot now where id like to make it easier to drive at highway speeds.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
Old 08-07-2013, 10:12 PM   #18
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I talked with Derek at CCV and he is looking into offering an upgraded brake kit for us running Quigley's with 16" wheels. Converted to 8X6.5 cross drilled slotted cryo rotors, looking forward to that.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:23 AM   #19

Garage

^^^ nice, not interested in cross drilled rotors, but cryo treated & slotted rotors would be nice. ill have to remember that when it comes time for brakework.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Yes, might be just slotted and cryo, not drilled. My mistake....
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote