Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2013, 11:00 PM   #1

Garage
Lift + Shocks

A quick question for the group. If I want to use 1" blocks to raise my van a bit more do I need to change shocks?
Thanks
Darryl

4.10 gears, Dana 44 TTB open carrier
VA7DTP
depark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #2

Re: Re: Lift + Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
A quick question for the group. If I want to use 1" blocks to raise my van a bit more do I need to change shocks?
Thanks
Darryl
What... you won't it to like like mine!

The Redneck Mexican
2002 E350 7.3 PSD 4x4 8inch lift pop top conversion....
Van Specialties build out
buckkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

Re: Lift + Shocks

I'm not familiar with your 4x4 conversion. But if the shock setup is the same as stock 2wd, it should be fine as-is. I raised my van about 2" with bigger coils up front and more leafs in the rear spring packs. I still have ample shock extension / wheel droop.
Old 06-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #4

Question: are you thinking about a body lift or a suspension lift? I.e., where are the "blocks" going to be placed?

My guess is that BajaSportsmobile or Ujoint are some of the best ones to answer your question, but what I would do in your situation is to jack up the front frame of the vehicle, so the wheels are hanging at the end of their travel, undo the bottom bolt of your front Bilsteins and see how much they extend past the bolt hole in the frame. If the bottom eyelet on the Bilstein extends at least 1.5" to 2" past the bolt hole on the frame (i.e., if the "shock at full extension" is longer than the "suspension length of travel") then wouldn't you be o.k.?

Another thing you can do is call Bilstein in So. Cal. and ask for technical support. They will tell you the full extension of your shock if you tell them the model no.:

AFTERMARKET & MOTORSPORTS HEADQUARTERS - WEST
ThyssenKrupp Bilstein of America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA. 92064
1-858-386-5900

I know what is not o.k. I just drilled out a broken bottom shock bolt on the A-arm of my wife's Dodge Dakota 4x4 because the alignment shop which put the shocks on used a shock which had a full extension of less than the full travel of the suspension. Once the broken bolt was drilled out, I installed Bilsteins all around.

Since your Bilsteins are pressurized I would use a jack, pry lever and a CAM strap (see NRSweb.com) to compress and hold the shock for reinstallation.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:21 PM   #5

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Thanks
Darryl
Are you wanting to raise the front, back or both?

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 01:59 PM   #6

I think there's a law of the universe that says no matter how much you plan, something will bind when you raise the body.

If it's a body lift, then doing as suggested and moving it up gradually and looking at everything at max extension is probably gonna be a good idea all around.

And when raising a suspension I've had issues where the shocks would extend far enough, but the angle changed slightly and I had to do some grinding. So keep an eye out for that too.

Rob
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 PM   #7

Garage

I want to lift the whole van 1". I have that much space available in my garage before I can't park in there. My ham radio antennas are that close to the overhead door when it's open. I already have a 2" body lift. I can't increase it there because of my drop floor for my wheelchair. I was thinking spacers on the coils and 1" blocks on the rear leafs.
Cheers
Darryl
VA7DTP
Old 06-12-2013, 11:00 PM   #8

Garage
Re: Re: Lift + Shocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckkiller
What... you won't it to like like mine!
I can't compete with you Buckkiller.
VA7DTP
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #9

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
I want to lift the whole van 1". I have that much space available in my garage before I can't park in there. My ham radio antennas are that close to the overhead door when it's open. I already have a 2" body lift. I can't increase it there because of my drop floor for my wheelchair. I was thinking spacers on the coils and 1" blocks on the rear leafs.
Cheers
Darryl
The first thing you need to do is figure out what you already have. Is there a lift block already in the rear - you don't want to stack two for safety reasons. You could call Clydesdale and ask them what they have under there now and what they would recommend. It is really hard to say what you can do without inspecting the van.

On the front, because it is Twin-Traction Beam, if you put a spacer under the coil spring it will change the Camber setting at ride height and will need realignment, assuming there is enough adjustment available.

There is no simple answer to your questions - check with Clydesdale or find a competent shop to check everything out, take measurements and cycle everything.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote