Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2019, 11:46 AM   #1

Locking Rear Differential on 2006 E350 EB

Hi all,

My rear differential is needing to be overhauled, going to cost around $2K depending on what all needs to be replaced. It is a limited slip differential, I believe original factory install. I bought the SMB used in 2014.

I have been thinking about upgrading to a locking rear differential so I want to investigate that since I am going to have to spend some money anyways. We use the van in the mountains of Colorado and the desert of southern Utah a lot. The limited slip has been OK, but there were a couple of times where I think it would have been helpful. No major issues though.

So I'm wondering if it is worth spending the extra money for the locking differential, and if so, what ones should I be looking at. Any recommendations?

Thanks,
Ed

eruddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

ARB is a good one. Requires you to add onboard air compressor though.
Grampswrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 12:11 PM   #3

Is you current axle a full float or semi float. If it's a semi-float, you'd be miles ahead using that rebuild $ for a replacement.

I have the factory limited slip, and it works for me, but if I happen to build a new open-diff axle, I'd drop in the Detroit Tru-Track. Since it's a torsen based differential, the torque bias ratio is higher, and will work like a locker unless you have a wheel off the ground. And even then, some power braking should engage it. Only downside is it requires 35-spline axle shafts. Which are available as a drop-in, but of course that adds more cost to the upgrade.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
Is you current axle a full float or semi float. If it's a semi-float, you'd be miles ahead using that rebuild $ for a replacement.

I have the factory limited slip, and it works for me, but if I happen to build a new open-diff axle, I'd drop in the Detroit Tru-Track. Since it's a torsen based differential, the torque bias ratio is higher, and will work like a locker unless you have a wheel off the ground. And even then, some power braking should engage it. Only downside is it requires 35-spline axle shafts. Which are available as a drop-in, but of course that adds more cost to the upgrade.
It's a full float. And, I do have an onboard compressor already, so that would be fine.
Old 08-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #5

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eruddick View Post
It's a full float. And, I do have an onboard compressor already, so that would be fine.
A Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 with an ARB locker will cost you around 4k and your core. But it will be a bolt in without spacers. Steve Marrone is a good contact.

Steve Marrone
National Sales Manager
P (714) 596-4461 X201
F (714) 596-4449

If you do the work yourself you will save a ton of money. With your full floater that's what I would do.

Setting the ring and pinion backlash is the tricky part.

I have ARB lockers.
Sboring35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboring35 View Post
A Dynatrac Pro Rock 60 with an ARB locker will cost you around 4k and your core. But it will be a bolt in without spacers. Steve Marrone is a good contact.

Steve Marrone
National Sales Manager
P (714) 596-4461 X201
F (714) 596-4449

If you do the work yourself you will save a ton of money. With your full floater that's what I would do.

Setting the ring and pinion backlash is the tricky part.

I have ARB lockers.
Thanks for the info and the contact! I will look into this.
Old 08-21-2019, 04:20 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampswrx View Post
ARB is a good one. Requires you to add onboard air compressor though.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I believe Powertank also offers a version for locking hubs using a compressed air canister...BUT (as Grampswrx suggests) with the onboard compressor you achieve the benefit of having air anytime you need it, along with additional accessories you're able run off it.

***EDIT - Sorry - missed your response that you already have a compressor