Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 07:18 AM   #11
Site Team

Re: Looking for 4x4 Mud Flaps Photos and Ideas

I don't have any pics unfortunately, but the FJ60 LandCruiser we used to have was built up by a former Camel Trophy competitor, and it had an interesting setup for removable mud flaps. They essentially used a hinge, where one half of the hinge was permanently attached to the mud flap, and the other half of the hinge was attached to the body. A removable hinge-pin then coupled the two together when they were needed, and when the pin was removed, it allowed the mud flap to be removed.

Herb

Old 07-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8300

I added mud flaps but didn't want big muthers on my van, just something to keep the law off my back. I guess they're supposed to be lower or at the center of the axle. These are right on the mark.
What model of rally armor flaps are those?
Old 07-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #13
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian94ht
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8300

I added mud flaps but didn't want big muthers on my van, just something to keep the law off my back. I guess they're supposed to be lower or at the center of the axle. These are right on the mark.
What model of rally armor flaps are those?
MSpec Rally Mud Flaps (Universal)

Attached Thumbnails
ra_mspecrallygroup_600px.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:21 PM   #14

pjpvi
That is a pretty nice set up, thanks for sharing. Keep them coming!
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 AM   #15

Any more current recommendations? Many of the links in previous threads are dead.

Trying to keep my fat bike on hitch rack clean while driving around sloppy winter roads. Running a 6 inch lift on 35's on my E350.

Thinking about starting with individual flaps at the wheels and if that doesn't help, going with a removable hitch mounted flap just during winter time.
FarmerFrederico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerFrederico View Post
Any more current recommendations? Many of the links in previous threads are dead.

Trying to keep my fat bike on hitch rack clean while driving around sloppy winter roads. Running a 6 inch lift on 35's on my E350.

Thinking about starting with individual flaps at the wheels and if that doesn't help, going with a removable hitch mounted flap just during winter time.
You might get better results from a down-flow air-deflector. Lots of school buses have them to keep the back windows clear.

I just put together a full-width brush-style spray guard together (from Industrial brush). Mostly to keep debris from chipping the paint on the car when it's in tow. But first drive shows it knocks the road mist down pretty well too. I mounted the brushes to a piece of Unistrut, then U-bolt to the hitch as needed.
Old 12-28-2015, 11:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb View Post
You might get better results from a down-flow air-deflector. Lots of school buses have them to keep the back windows clear.

I just put together a full-width brush-style spray guard together (from Industrial brush). Mostly to keep debris from chipping the paint on the car when it's in tow. But first drive shows it knocks the road mist down pretty well too. I mounted the brushes to a piece of Unistrut, then U-bolt to the hitch as needed.
Tried to search something like that but no luck. The worst of it is what my tires kick up - they just paste the wheels of the bikes with brown ice.
Old 04-28-2016, 12:33 PM   #18

I'm on gravel quite a bit, these work awesome and look great and have a 1.5" kick back to clear the 35's. They are Gatorbacks by Truck Hardware.

gnty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnty View Post
I'm on gravel quite a bit, these work awesome and look great and have a 1.5" kick back to clear the 35's. They are Gatorbacks by Truck Hardware.
Nice install and setup!

Herb
Old 04-28-2016, 03:10 PM   #20

Aweseome...that's what I'm gonna do then! Thanks! I went with some cheapo $12 things from Autozone but they weren't long enough. What kind of running boards are those? Looks a little different and is full length on driver's side as apposed to my factory ones.

I can't seem to find an online source that lets me confirm the 1.5" setback though. I've got a 6" Ujoint set up too with 35's.