Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 01:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenrie View Post
That stock van is at an insane angle I could never get to that point and feel comfortable.
Bear in mind that that van is static, on an even surface, with no driver, and a stock center of gravity. Hitting a little bump, or dropping a wheel into a small depression while moving at that angle could produce very different results. That's to say, there is probably no set angle you can apply every time, it depends a lot on the individual situation. The best approximation Ive heard of on how to determine when you may be getting into trouble is to have a spotter watching the amount of side wall bulge in your tires. When the bulge begins to disappear, that tire is pretty well unloaded and it might be time to try something different.

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:34 PM   #52

My butt-o-meter usually stops me way before I'm in trouble.

2012 Chevrolet Express 3500 6.0
shadetreevanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 AM   #53
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadetreevanman View Post
My butt-o-meter usually stops me way before I'm in trouble.
Those need to come as part of any lift or 4x4 addition! I'll be tow and recovery outfits have blocked that inclusion somehow though.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:59 PM   #54

Garage
I’ve found my pucker factor sneak up on me a few times in the van now. I’ve parked my rallyx car on its doors and it felt like it took an hour from when I realized I was in trouble to when the car actually came to a rest. In the van though its been instant o shit. Ground giving way etc. luck has been on our side schools times now. At least we have some luck in that aspect, lol.

I ordered the inclinometer just so I have a visual of when I need to be more aware. They are cheap can’t hurt to have a little frame of reference.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote