Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2015, 11:23 AM   #1

Maximum allowable lean angle prior to rolling over

Has anyone ever figured out how far off camber one can get prior to rolling over? No doubt it will depend a lot on the particular van, 2wd, 4wd, lift height, gas, diesel etc. I once had two wheels in a ditch with one wheel off the ground and the van at a crazy angle, but with the rear diff bottomed out it stayed upright. It would be nice to have some idea where the tipping point begins, say in degrees on an inclinometer, (since I have a precision one from a ship). I'm thinking of jacking mine up with a floor jack till it gets light, but that seems a bit risky unless I can rig a limiter strap somehow. Even then, real world limits, driving on a steep trail will probably be far less. I really got to wondering about this in Death Valley where we were on several trails that had no room for error, with a mistake resulting in a trip off a cliff. What are your limits? (mine might just be the wife)

Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #2

Re: Maximum allowable lean angle prior to rolling over

I prefer never to be in a situation where I would need to ask that question.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
Site Team

Call me a chicken, but I agree with E350. If I get even close to the tipping point I have leaned too far. I am not one of those rock crawling adventurers who don't mind dinging up their vehicle. Whatever is at the end of the trail would really have to be worth it for me to try a road where I might tip over.
Old 06-05-2015, 11:39 AM   #4

You'll know it when you find it.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #5
Site Team

Garage

I was told about 34* on a standard 2006 SMB 4X4 conversion but it also depends distribution of the top load, lower load and weight of the interior conversion. I have an audible inclinometer set to 28* and its sounded a couple times. That said I didn't like that angle at all and quickly moved to get out of that situation. If you were to snap a spring or blow a tire things could go bad quickly. Even 20 degrees feels kinda weird.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I was told about 34* on a standard 2006 SMB 4X4 conversion but it also depends distribution of the top load, lower load and weight of the interior conversion. I have an audible inclinometer set to 28* and its sounded a couple times. That said I didn't like that angle at all and quickly moved to get out of that situation. If you were to snap a spring or blow a tire things could go bad quickly. Even 20 degrees feels kinda weird.
Hey Dave, howbout a pic of your inclinometer. It's a great idea but it looks like they are either junk or $1000. I wonder if I could just lay my phone flat on the console with the bubble level enabled when I'm on a steep incline. Hmmm. I like the alarm idea though.

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 01:44 PM   #7
Site Team

Garage

They custom adjust at the factory to your specs:

I put a switch on mine so I can turn it off... once it goes off I'm in a situation and don't need a damn alarm making it more stressful. Mine is tucked up in the headliner area on velcro and is fairly level to the vans stance via a separate Rieker bubble gauge. Rieker also makes those custom too. My bubble gauge red zone is 20-25* and I really pay attention after it pegs out.

http://www.riekerinc.com/Mechanical-Inclinometers.htm
Attached Thumbnails
SlopeAlertNEW.gif  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 02:40 PM   #8

A stock 2WD wagon will do over 1:1

Old 06-05-2015, 03:45 PM   #9

carringb: But are the wheels prevented from sliding in those photos? Having rolled a VW Bug three times I can testify that a even an upright vehicle will tip if the outward sliding wheel abruptly achieves traction.

So in my nightmares (and your photos will no doubt cause me and anybody with a fiberglass roof nightmares) all it would take would be a little four foot sideways slide with the low side tire abruptly hitting a rock and stopping to add the additional "incline" necessary to tip/flip and then that's how you get to roll it three times quickly in succession...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 05:40 PM   #10

Warning, not SMB content!

GoWesty had a video of them doing a tilt test on a Syncro on their site. Might still be there and worth a look. They used a forklift and a limiting strap if I remember correctly. Surprising how far vans can tilt though. If you want to see more fun, look up the tilt testing/roll testing of the London double-decker busses.
witoke is offline   Reply With Quote