Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #1

Maxtrax

Having been stuck before on the shore of a lake where there is nothing to connect a winch line to I am considering buying a set of MAXTRAX.

[IMG][/IMG]

I was looking for input on how these work with a rig as heavy as a SMB.

If you use them where/how do you carry them?

Thanks
John

Old 09-26-2016, 03:40 PM   #2

First of all I have the Tred Pros not Maxtrax. Had a chance to put them to the test last week. Buried our 2WD van up to the axels in fine dirt and dust in eastern Oregon. The biggest problem was digging the stuff out so we could slide the Treds into position. I have four of them so we put them end to end, two on each side, behind the rear wheels. Once they were in position I was able to get the rig up on them. The end to end setup gave me enough length to work up some speed to get out of the long rut I was in. They worked great.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 03:50 PM   #3

I've got Maxtrax, only used them once. They got a little beat up, and based on that my guess is they're not going to be a 'forever' item, but will probably need to be replaced every few years depending on use.. but my van is over 10,000lbs.

Mine are on the roof using their little spin holder things.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 08:30 PM   #4

Larrie,

Thanks for the reply I was planning on getting 4 for just the type of situation you were in.

Rallypana,

Our van is like your and is very heavy and I am glad to hear they held up to the weight. Even if they only lasted a few uses, if they get me out of tight spot they may be worth it.

Thanks
John
Old 09-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John and Dana View Post
Even if they only lasted a few uses, if they get me out of tight spot they may be worth it.
Exactly... I don't intend to use them on a regular basis, but they're nice to have!
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Garage
Here is a EB storage solution but I've never buried one after a drive over. I just wonder how the track "reforms" itself. Will it fit back on the stand? Don't know. Actually if it gets me out, I'll sleep with it!
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0883PH.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:04 PM   #7

Garage
My first solo trip out, I buried the van on a muddy FS road. The TREDS I feel did help me get out the situation. I learned on that trip that I needed mount them outside. They can be really heavy if covered in mud. I would say they are worth buying.

TexGX
Attached Thumbnails
Blackbumper.jpg  
2006 Casita (Makes it a three bedroom 1 and 1/2 bath)
TexGX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #8

Mine were buried in the dust after I extracted myself. I marked the spot I was stuck with a shovel so that I could find the Treds again. Going to find some bright colored leads for them as well.

Mine are stored on the roof. While that is a good place am going to move them to the back door for easier access and convience.

Saw no deformation in any of the four Treds. When I was don emperor they stacked like they were new.
larrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 06:49 AM   #9

Good to read the endorsements on good products! I'm just on a prelim wish list for my recovery gear...
Rallypanam Your rig has such a nice clean design.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:23 AM   #10

I know it's so cheap that no one will likely try it, but I always heard a few roofing shingles were a cheap and more easily stored MAXTRAX solution. Has anyone ever tried this? I mean, of course you're going to destroy them with one use, but 4 or 6 shingles take up no space under a gaucho/couch to speak of, and they have a great grippy surface, and I would think a pack of them would be fairly cheap compared. Thoughts?

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote