Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-10-2022, 09:25 AM   #551

Makes sense, that was my original idea. I also thought I could use the existing hole furthest to the front on the frame and the rear hole on the bracket but it puts the links in an awkward position

Raiderlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #552

Rob is this still available?
skumancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:24 AM   #553

Well after having a baby and having my van sit about 95% finished -- it's time to get this puppy rolling...

I'm going to give Rough Country 89710 a shot for front brake lines...
https://amzn.to/3ku4A9m

I really do not like Rough Country stuff -- nor do I really think these rigs need Stainless lines -- but I like that these should slot directly into the frame side retaining holes at the hardline -- and have the right hard-line at the caliper side for the F-Series calipers.

Their rear stainless line for the Wrangler (Rough Country 89703) should work for our vans, too. All the fittings are 3/8" -- which is the same as the van hardline and the hard line for the newer Sterling 10.5":
https://amzn.to/3y1J6sB

I have Sunsong 2203740 on recommendation from someone here or on FB -- which I believe also works -- but is only 21". The OEM hardline is like 19.5" (IIRC).
https://amzn.to/3MBZYdk

I'll come back and validate this information once I finish my install -- but thought I'd share this now since van-building season is upon us!!
winnievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 01:49 AM   #554

Thought I'd also share this -- if you didn't get the pigtail with your electronic locking differential (as mentioned in this thread as Motorcraft WPT-829)... here's a list of vehicles that use that same connector....

Name:  WPT.PNG
Views: 140
Size:  19.3 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	WPT2.PNG
Views:	4
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	43800

I reckon it's pretty easy to find an 11-12 Exploder or 2010-2013 Focus at the salvage yard... beats paying like $50 bucks for a stupid pigtail.

RockAuto has this pigtail going back to 2004 for the Focus -- so that might help too...
Old 05-01-2022, 01:56 AM   #555

As a side note -- you should really put a diode between the two wires on this circuit -- the electronic locking differential is basically a giant electromagnetic coil -- and when it disengages -- it can create a lot of stray voltage which can be harmful.

A diode suppressed relay will not protect from this spike -- as the diode in a diode suppressed relay is on the coil side of that relay -- and not the load side.

I may have even posted this in this forum already -- but if anyone has any questions let me know -- Eaton (I believe) is the manufacturer of this unit for Ford -- and their wiring harnesses for their standalone units include a diode between the activation wires on the e-locker coil.

Here's a wiring diagram they recommend (notice the diode on the wires to the locker):
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/ea...-schematic.pdf

And here's a FAQ on how they work:
https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/ea...ers-manual.pdf
Old 05-01-2022, 05:57 AM   #556

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnievan View Post
Well after having a baby and having my van sit about 95% finished -- it's time to get this puppy rolling...

I'm going to give Rough Country 89710 a shot for front brake lines...
https://amzn.to/3ku4A9m
Congrats on the baby and good luck on the van.

Heads up, I used the Rough Country 89710 and I wouldn't recommend them. Two issues I ran into.

1 - About 3-4 inches too long in my opinion.

2 - Yes, they do have the correctly sized 3/8 fitting that connects to the hard line. However, the outside size and shape of the fitting itself will not work with the hole on the econoline frame. The factory fitting on the econoline slides into a hole on the frame and it is then clipped to be secured. The fitting in the rough county 89710 is bigger than the hole (and shaped differently) and where the clip slides in on the fitting does not protrude far enough for the clip.

I was way out of my return window, so I ended up carefully reducing the fitting size and reshaping it to fit (and widening the clip cavity as well).

I'm sure there is a better fitting option out there, I just had to make these work.
VMCFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 10:29 AM   #557

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMCFred View Post
Congrats on the baby and good luck on the van.

Heads up, I used the Rough Country 89710 and I wouldn't recommend them. Two issues I ran into.

1 - About 3-4 inches too long in my opinion.

2 - Yes, they do have the correctly sized 3/8 fitting that connects to the hard line. However, the outside size and shape of the fitting itself will not work with the hole on the econoline frame. The factory fitting on the econoline slides into a hole on the frame and it is then clipped to be secured. The fitting in the rough county 89710 is bigger than the hole (and shaped differently) and where the clip slides in on the fitting does not protrude far enough for the clip.

I was way out of my return window, so I ended up carefully reducing the fitting size and reshaping it to fit (and widening the clip cavity as well).

I'm sure there is a better fitting option out there, I just had to make these work.
Great post. Thanks for saving me from myself.

Sounds easier to just bend the hardline and use the OEM f250 lines and drill and tap (or rivnut) the frame as MG shows way back in this thread.
Old 05-01-2022, 10:33 AM   #558

Quote:
Great post. Thanks for saving me from myself.

Sounds easier to just bend the hardline and use the OEM f250 lines and drill and tap (or rivnut) the frame as MG shows way back in this thread.
100%. That's exactly what I would do if i were to do this again. Lot's of other elements in this conversion that you can spend the time on.
VMCFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2022, 01:18 AM   #559

Finishing up my Sterling 10.5 install -- anyone have an off-the-shelf part number for a parking brake intermediate cable that can work on an extended e350 (2000 is the year if it matters).

The previous owner has like 3 intermediate cables on this thing -- and the combination of them is too short.

If not -- any clever ways of shortening the parking brake cables?

Didn't measure before leaving the van for awhile -- doh!! I imagine there is an off-the-shelf Ford part that works perfectly...
Old 05-30-2022, 09:46 AM   #560

Quote:
Finishing up my Sterling 10.5 install -- anyone have an off-the-shelf part number for a parking brake intermediate cable that can work on an extended e350 (2000 is the year if it matters).

The previous owner has like 3 intermediate cables on this thing -- and the combination of them is too short.

If not -- any clever ways of shortening the parking brake cables?

Didn't measure before leaving the van for awhile -- doh!! I imagine there is an off-the-shelf Ford part that works perfectly...
From time to time when I'm thinking about it, I'll search on Rockauto or Dorman for cables that will work. So far...I've not found one that is exactly the right size. I made one for the Cummins van with a ferrule and hydraulic crimper. A customer's van (Quadvan conversion) at the shop now looks to have a "custom" rod welded between the two cable connectors. It looks kinda sus but one could probably do a much better job with the same concept.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote