Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-04-2022, 09:46 AM   #651

I can't remember the stock twin I beam end link setup.
I did have to measure and guesstimate what longer link length would work.
Wild-kiwi's ambulance build (here, on expo, and on facebook curiously) did a similar setup.

I edited my previous post to say this :
Quote:
Also if you look at razor's edge photo in post 644, you can see the 90 degree difference in the end link mounts between those two bars. My Truck 2017 and Van 2009 sway bars also had that difference (along with the bend issue). My van bar presents a horizontal hole to bolt to the end links. They then go through the attachment point on the axle vertically.

desertsherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 02:43 PM   #652

Just thought I'd throw this out there in case anyone ever wants to know, but I successfully installed MG's kit on my 1991 e350. There were no modifications needed on the brackets, but I did have to do some minor modifications to the van. The vast majority of the information out there for the 92+ vans applied just the same to my 91.

The build isn't done so it's not actually four wheel drive yet and the wheels are still mismatched among other things. But it is drivable now, and that's a pretty good feeling.

Click image for larger version

Name:	vanside.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	45994

Click image for larger version

Name:	vanfront.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	45995
razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 03:24 PM   #653

LOVE IT! Nice job making it all work! I'd love to know more about what had to be done to the van so I can advise others who inquire about 3rd gens.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2022, 04:11 PM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmetalworks View Post
LOVE IT! Nice job making it all work! I'd love to know more about what had to be done to the van so I can advise others who inquire about 3rd gens.
Thanks! So it was pretty minor stuff really. The frame rails have a bit of a turn down that starts at the rear of the radius arm brackets. I had to trim that protrusion so the brackets would sit up against the frame all the way. I'd say it came down about 3/4" and I probably had to take out about 6" in length.

The exhaust interfered with the passenger side radius arm bracket so I had to cut a section out of one of the pipes.

On the passenger side there are two charcoal canisters mounted to the outside of the frame right where the radius arm bracket goes. I had to relocate them so they wouldn't interfere with the bracket. Same story on the drivers side but with a vacuum canister, had to relocate that.

Track bar backing brace only two of the holes existed on the engine crossmember, I had to drill the third one.

The sway bar on my van has horizontal holes, so I got some moog end links for a 2012 f250 and lengthened them. This might not be an issue if you used the sway bar you call out in your parts list. I chose to keep the factory one, at least for now. There's probably a part for a lifted application that would work as well.

I installed the steering stabilizer using the e350 stabilizer bracket called out in the parts list. I had to drill holes for it as they didn't exist on my van. After it was installed it was uncomfortably close to the trans cooler lines. I took it off for now and will probably have to do some additional modifications there.

For the rear I used the sky's offroad 4.5" shackle flip and a procomp 13128 add a leaf. The shackle flip does not bolt up to a 91. Had to drill 3 new holes per side, no big deal.

I'd say if you're savvy enough to take on an install like this in the first place then installing it on a 3rd gen shouldn't be too much of a problem.
razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:45 AM   #655

hi all... I hit 5,000 miles on my build and loving it. My suspension has "settled in" (for a lack of better description) but I still have that hop effect in the back. I am curious what you all have done to reduce the hopping feeling in the back. The hopping feeling I'm speaking of is when there is a slight dip in road and the van doesn't really absorb it well but rather the back starts to go up and down a few times. It's very noticeable.

if any of you have installed a rear sway bar that would work with a sterling rear end please share your thoughts and advice on which one to get.

Thanks
Fred
VMCFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #656

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMCFred View Post
hi all... I hit 5,000 miles on my build and loving it. My suspension has "settled in" (for a lack of better description) but I still have that hop effect in the back. I am curious what you all have done to reduce the hopping feeling in the back. The hopping feeling I'm speaking of is when there is a slight dip in road and the van doesn't really absorb it well but rather the back starts to go up and down a few times. It's very noticeable.

if any of you have installed a rear sway bar that would work with a sterling rear end please share your thoughts and advice on which one to get.

Thanks
Fred
That sounds like the shocks are not dampening correctly. worn out / wrong length / not enough rebound dampening for the van etc. That’s where I’d start to look rather than swaybar.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 05:40 PM   #657

Help with rear springs

I've had the MG coil kit on my 1998 E350/Airstream B190 for over 5k miles. Initially I went with the worn out OEM rear springs and a shackle flip/lift. I would like to replace my rear springs with the OEM shackle and hanger and use a lift spring. My front end is around 27" from center of hub to the fender lip. I don't really have any measurements or references from the stock van. Can anyone help with a rear spring lift estimate? Should I spend big bucks on Alcan Springs, or just use some off the shelf lift springs? I don't mind a 2" or smaller spring block.

Would be nice if there were some additional threads on specifics of the MG install/mods. I searched this thread, but didn't get useful results.
TXTOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2023, 06:05 PM   #658

I would weigh my loaded van at a truck scale and get a true rear axle weight. Call up Alcan or other spring company tell them you have a extended E350 with x,xxx on the rear axle and you want x amount of lift over a stock 2x4 van. You might have to find a newish stocker somewhere and measure the height. That way you can tell the spring company exactly how much lift you want. That will get you the closest right off the bat. You can build a frankenpack spring out of other leaf parts but it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Because your is van unique, it needs a spring that is fairly unique to it.

I'm curious, why don't you like the shackle flip?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 01:20 AM   #659

Dakar has a rear spring that would work..
I have them on my excursion.. yeild about 2.5 -3" of lift
silverhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2023, 06:46 AM   #660

That is good advice on the springs. I am working with Alcan already. They only do 0-4" lift. I don't have any reference to know how much lift I need. 21" from hub center to fender lip is posted a few times as OEM ride height. Front lift amounts from the kit vary between 5-7"s. My van measures around 27.5" now after 5k miles. That is with the V10 and muffin top. So it sounds like I could use 6-7" of rear lift. If I need to use a spring block for fine tuning on the ride height, I would prefer 1-2" max. Is there another custom spring shop that does more than 4" lift?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
I would weigh my loaded van at a truck scale and get a true rear axle weight. Call up Alcan or other spring company tell them you have a extended E350 with x,xxx on the rear axle and you want x amount of lift over a stock 2x4 van. You might have to find a newish stocker somewhere and measure the height. That way you can tell the spring company exactly how much lift you want. That will get you the closest right off the bat. You can build a frankenpack spring out of other leaf parts but it's a bit of a crap shoot.
Because your is van unique, it needs a spring that is fairly unique to it.

I'm curious, why don't you like the shackle flip?
TXTOM is offline   Reply With Quote