Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2019, 06:29 AM   #221

Rear axle swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalovon View Post
I am putting a DRW Dana 80 in my van so I have to relocate the spring perches and shock mounts on the new axle. My initial plan was to simply put the perches and mounts in the same position that they were in on the original van axle. My fabricator friend warned me about how the angle can/will change with the rear lift, from what I have read the rear is going to have to go up approx. 4"? to match the new front axle. I also heard of people shimming the leaf spring perches to change the rear axle geometry. Has anyone had ANY issues with either the stock axle or a swap axle once the lift has been put in? Thanks in advance for any help
So with all the axle swaps going on has anyone ever had an issue with the rear axle geometry?, changing to accommodate the rear lift? Approx. 4" ?

2010 E350 XLT, 12valve Cummins, 5R110W
MG Metal conversion kit

Megalovon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:56 AM   #222

2X4 No More!

First mock up with front axle using the MG Metal kit.

2010 E350 XLT, 12 valve Cummins, 5R110W, DRW
Attached Thumbnails
moc up 1.jpg   moc up 2.jpg   moc up 3.jpg  
Old 11-25-2019, 05:15 PM   #223

Did anybody find the huge "GM" letters on the pass frame rail kind of ironic?
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 12:16 PM   #224

Does anyone know when using the MG brackets how much further forward the centerline of the 4x4 axle is relation to the centerline of the twin I-beam front end?
Old 12-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilnuts2 View Post
Does anyone know when using the MG brackets how much further forward the centerline of the 4x4 axle is relation to the centerline of the twin I-beam front end?
Since the van coil buckets don’t move wouldn’t The measurements be nearly the same?
2ndhandvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 01:04 PM   #226

Because the "buckets" are not a precise fit to the spring it is a common practice to move the axle forward slightly to gain tire clearance. My guess is it probably only an 1" to 1-1/2" was hoping someone can confirm that number.
Old 12-22-2019, 01:31 PM   #227

Quote:
Because the "buckets" are not a precise fit to the spring it is a common practice to move the axle forward slightly to gain tire clearance. My guess is it probably only an 1" to 1-1/2" was hoping someone can confirm that number.
I have a stock van and a converted van I’ll get some measurements tomorrow
2ndhandvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:25 PM   #228

Quote:
This kit moves axle forward 1.25”. That’s for tire clearance and to put the differential in a little better spot under the cross member (vs where it would be at original axle centerline). The lower spring perch is then adjusted to line up with the frame spring buckets.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:35 PM   #229

Thank you Michael
Old 02-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #230

Front brake lines

I have started to purchase all the front end components for my project. Trying to save some leg work!
I was wondering if anyone knows off hand how long the front brake lines need to be when installing the MG Metal works kit. I will not be lifting the van anymore than what the kit was designed to lift it. Any info or part numbers would be appreciated.