Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-13-2020, 10:23 AM   #331

Has anyone had an issue with the coil springs hitting the frame? I don’t have the front shocks installed yet but with the axle centered the springs are striking the frame when going over bumps just driving through a pasture. I am running the Moog Cc860s. There’s about 3/8” between the spring and the frame. It’s really more like the lower part of the spring bucket where it’s welded to the side of the frame.
Attached Thumbnails
1275E595-2C46-4709-AD86-7A47C4A5E68D.jpeg  

MudRulzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:38 AM   #332

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRulzz View Post
Has anyone had an issue with the coil springs hitting the frame? I don’t have the front shocks installed yet but with the axle centered the springs are striking the frame when going over bumps just driving through a pasture. I am running the Moog Cc860s. There’s about 3/8” between the spring and the frame. It’s really more like the lower part of the spring bucket where it’s welded to the side of the frame.
Take the load off of the spring, loosen the lower bolt and move the bottom of the spring as far outward and forward as you can. Then tighten the bolt down good.
mgmetalworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 10:44 AM   #333

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRulzz View Post
Yes. I have little rubbing on mine. They also sometimes rub on my front shocks. When I had to replace my front axle housing last summer my local shop was going to move the coils out a bit. But the way some shop in NC. initially installed the springs made it very difficult to do. If remember right they welded the spring mounts into the perch. So I scrapped the idea.
keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 12:29 PM   #334
Site Team

OK, we seem to be at a point where a sidebar conversation has taken a slight pause. Good. This thread is a technical reference discussion and lets keep it at that. No one needs to get in a last-word, or a final comment, or I'll start slashing posts that are not directly relevant to the nature of this thread.

Everyone is under a lot of added stress these days, let's just remember why we're all here, and why this is still one of the best, and most respectful, forums that I'm aware of.

Herb
Old 08-14-2020, 09:56 AM   #335

When searching for used wheels for the 2013 axles is there a preferred factory wheel to look for? Certain year, size, etc?

Seeing some 2011 and 2012 f250 factory take offs 8x170 17" wheels and tires for good prices on FB marketplace. Plan on running 285/75r17 tires (34"?). Anything I should look out for as far as rotor clearance or backspacing?

I saw where JSweezy has what appears to be the same wheels I was looking at but wanted to make sure.

Thanks!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #336

Well my hopes of my van not visiting the mechanic for at least one summer were dashed this week. I noticed a rear pinon seal leak and the mechanic also suggested replacing the out put shaft seal. No biggies. But they also brought to my attention something I have noticed as well is my transfer case is rubbing through a shield that was placed on my gas tank. The TC is rubbing through it and next will be the tank. Would the conversion artists in NC. have cut the tank to make room for the TC and placed the shield there? I can't remember if the tank needs modified for this conversion? Anyone got any ideas how to protect the tank from getting a hole eventually rubbed in once it's gone through the shield?
Old 08-14-2020, 09:58 PM   #337

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
Well my hopes of my van not visiting the mechanic for at least one summer were dashed this week. I noticed a rear pinon seal leak and the mechanic also suggested replacing the out put shaft seal. No biggies. But they also brought to my attention something I have noticed as well is my transfer case is rubbing through a shield that was placed on my gas tank. The TC is rubbing through it and next will be the tank. Would the conversion artists in NC. have cut the tank to make room for the TC and placed the shield there? I can't remember if the tank needs modified for this conversion? Anyone got any ideas how to protect the tank from getting a hole eventually rubbed in once it's gone through the shield?
You have a U-Joint conversion, yeah?

This thread is for MG's conversion but to answer your question, yes, the tank has to be cut and shortened to fit your transfer case. Odd that it rubs. I think the best thing would be to call or email Chris at U-Joint Monday.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:05 PM   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
You have a U-Joint conversion, yeah?

This thread is for MG's conversion but to answer your question, yes, the tank has to be cut and shortened to fit your transfer case. Odd that it rubs. I think the best thing would be to call or email Chris at U-Joint Monday.
Nope don't have a UJ. Have a MG that was done by the UJ. They did a few. A call won't be happening to them. Advice here would be much preferred.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #339

Quote:
Nope don't have a UJ. Have a MG that was done by the UJ. They did a few. A call won't be happening to them. Advice here would be much preferred.
Ah, ok. Apologies. Your profile info made it seem you had a UJ kit.

Still not sure why it would be rubbing. Maybe take a picture of the area and post it up?
Old 08-14-2020, 11:19 PM   #340

Quote:

Well pistures would help a lot in this case. I can not immagine that the cut of the tank was on the wrong spot in your case. So i would say this could be the case
1: The tank is loosen on its mountings
2: there is something wrong with your engine/TC mounts
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote