Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2022, 10:29 PM   #621

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverhorse View Post
First off, I'm extremely thankful for this tread! I have a 2012 extended with the 5.4..
I'm wondering how to tackle the crossmember?
I assume I should move it inside the frame rails and drop it down some??
That was my approach. Move inboard by cutting the ends off the stock cross member and put new plates on the ends. My plates bolt through the MG brackets.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...tml#post262364

Old 09-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #622

I recorded most (but not all) of my van's conversion to 4x4 (MG kit). I'm thinking of making a video or live stream, can you vote if you're interested?

Please Vote
skumancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 10:22 AM   #623

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumancer View Post
I recorded most (but not all) of my van's conversion to 4x4 (MG kit). I'm thinking of making a video or live stream, can you vote if you're interested?

Please Vote
WARNING

PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IN THIS LINK. IT CONTAINS MALWARE.

can the admin remove it?
amamdani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 11:43 AM   #624

Quote:
Originally Posted by amamdani View Post
WARNING

PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IN THIS LINK. IT CONTAINS MALWARE.

can the admin remove it?
Why would there be malware on my link? I’ve been a contributor to this thread for a while…
Old 10-10-2022, 03:05 PM   #625

Can someone that has competed the kit provide some costs for me?

I already have the MG kit, 2x 2013 axles, transfer case, and control arms. From the list posted at the beginning it looks like I have about $1100 more for parts to hang the front axle.

What I don’t know is the costs for some of the other parts.

I.E. tail shaft for 5.4 trans, cost to get the shaft installed and rebuilt, costs for the 2x driveshafts, etc, and the other parts needed to fully complete the install.

Made a spreadsheet for costs and have a bunch of estimates on the above but want to get a better idea what it is going to cost me.

Thanks!
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:27 PM   #626

I've done a 7.3 with u-joint parts and I starting my MGM 6.0 build next month, kit is on the way.

Here is my 2 cents

Parts for changing the tail shaft to mate with a transfer case about $300, new parts, for a 5r100 behind a 6.0,

the 5.4 is probably be the same.

3c3z-7060-dd (5r100 4wd output shaft) $170 at Ford
plus
3c3z-7a039-jc (5r100 4x4 extension housing) $$130 at Ford

It's way cheap at u-pull yard & easy an east do it yourself.

If its a 4r100 or e4od behind the 7.3 its basically a Tranny rebuild. Pull the whole transmission and send it to a shop.

I have a local guy in Florida's space coast that builds driveshafts; $150ish each if I bring super duty shafts as donors.

Online can be 1k-1200 for an all new custom set- Try Tom Woods

Parts are all listed in the initial email from Michael when you ordered the kit.
mikejana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:55 PM   #627

I’d say you’re looking at 2.5k at least. Depends on a few things like are your axles in good shape or so they need to be rebuilt?

I had to rebuild my front axle because there was enough rust, it wasn’t with it installing like that. That cost close to 1k in parts and tools.

Drive shafts will cost 800 easily. Transmission retrofit/rebuild cost me 2k, but that’s because it was damaged and needed new internals (the genesis of my build was finding out the transmission needed a rebuild - I might as well convert it now).

Then you’re looking at about 1-2k in small parts - 400 for track bar, 100-200 for bolts, 150 for springs, etc.
Old 10-10-2022, 04:20 PM   #628

The 5.4 trans has to be completely dissasembled before the tail shaft can be installed. 75rW trans maybe? No where as easy as the 5r100.

The list that MG provided is my $1100 that I have planned out. It was the stuff like the driveshafts and trans that I had no idea. Also any miscellaneous things I may be forgetting.

Trying to figure out if I can afford to keep my kit and install it in two parts or sell it and get a 2wd lift.

Thank y’all for the replies!
Old 10-10-2022, 04:36 PM   #629

Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
The 5.4 trans has to be completely dissasembled before the tail shaft can be installed. 75rW trans maybe? No where as easy as the 5r100.

The list that MG provided is my $1100 that I have planned out. It was the stuff like the driveshafts and trans that I had no idea. Also any miscellaneous things I may be forgetting.

Trying to figure out if I can afford to keep my kit and install it in two parts or sell it and get a 2wd lift.

Thank y’all for the replies!
You’ll also have to make a custom crossmember for the transfer case and shorten the gas tank.

Yes you can do it in two parts, that’s what I did. I would start with transmission, transfer case and shortening the gas tank first. Leaves the van drivable with little investment.

When installing the front axle, you have to go all-in.
Old 10-10-2022, 05:35 PM   #630

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumancer View Post
You’ll also have to make a custom crossmember for the transfer case and shorten the gas tank.

Yes you can do it in two parts, that’s what I did. I would start with transmission, transfer case and shortening the gas tank first. Leaves the van drivable with little investment.

When installing the front axle, you have to go all-in.
I hadn’t thought about that way. I was going to get the axles in and wait on the transfer case, shifter, trans, and driveshaft swap. For what I have it should be cheaper. Plus I need new tires so I would rather get the axles installed so I can go ahead and get the tires in the diameter and wheel size I need now vs buying 16” tires for my current wheels and having to buy 17” tires next summer.