Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #1

More Quigly 4X4 problems

2003 E-350 with Quigly 4x4 conversion, 7.3 liter diesel.

In October (after a $500 oil leak) I was having problems with my SMB not going into 4WD, the local 4X4 shop says "Its your hubs",(Warn) and replaces them with the same model (~$220 parts).

We go down to Mexico last month I and am sure the 4x4 worked in the sand.

This holiday (after chasing down an electrical problem, $600 after all is said and done) we decide to go into Saline Valley and its snowing on North Pass, I engage 4x4 and it does not work (again).

I go to the Ford Dealer in Bishop, and they look at the hubs and says "The Warn Hubs are not the correct hub for that front axle" (Ford 60) and replace them with Ford SuperDuty hubs($600!!!).

They said the Warn hubs would not engage correctly because the snap ring holding the hubs in is the wrong size for the snap ring groove, it sometimes will work, but only on flat ground during high tide on a full moon when Jupiter is at apogee.

We get into Saline just fine with the new hubs and get home in 4x4 during a snowstorm.

This was exactly what I was worried about with the aftermarket 4X4 on the van, Im kinda not so happy right now.

Also the SuperDuty hub is ONLY held in by the snap ring, no little screws at all!?

Has anybody else had this problem?

jstanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:49 AM   #2

Re: More SMB 4X4 problems

No help here.

Just a comment. The title should read more quigley 4x4 problems not SMB. My SMB 4x4 conversion has worked flawlessly so far.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 05:42 AM   #3

Re: More SMB 4X4 problems

What does Quigley say? Did you call them?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 AM   #4

Re: More Quigly 4X4 problems

Subject changed to reflect Quigley conversion.

We just got home last night (last 100 miles @ 35 mph in snowstorm) and have not talked to Quigley or my local 4x4 shop, I jut wondered if anybody else has had this problem.

The more I look at the SMB conversion the better it looks, but Im still worried about the aftermarket conversion. 4wd parts DO break, and finding out exactly what part is needed would be compounded in the boonies or Baja.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:21 AM   #5

That is a very strange problem and solution. When you say the 4WD wouldn't engage, I assume that the Quigley conversion is working...right? In other words, the front drive shaft is turning and if you put it in Low range, that works? If so, it is not a Quigley problem but a hub problem.

Until SMB designed their own 4WD system, Quigley came to the annual SMB rallys and some owners complained about having problems shifting into 4WD but I have never heard of problems with the hubs not engaging.

It would still be worthwhile to call Quigley about the hub problem. Ask to talk to Tiger...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:06 AM   #6

Knowledge is power. This is why a correct parts list for your aftermarket stuff is so important.

With a parts list, when some friendly mechanic who's primary interest is separating you from your cash knowing he'll never see you again says, "Well there's your problem! You've got the wrong (insert part x, y, or z here)! What you need is (insert random part x here)! That will be (insert price somewhere between $500 and $1,000 here)." - you say, "No thanks. You wouldn't happen to know any mechanics that know what they are talking about do you? No? How about one that is honest enough to admit that he isn't sure about something?"

With a parts list, you can at the very least know that if something is replaced and turns out not to be the cause of the problem, at least you haven't caused more problems. And, if you kept the old one, you now have a spare.

Here's the idea: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=907

But, what you really need is a list specific to your van as SMB, Quigly, Quadvan, etc. are constantly updating their product.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:17 AM   #7

Quigley put together all the parts. I talked to them this morning, all they could give me is the parts number for the original Warn manual hubs.

The Ford SuperDuty DID solve the problems, I used 4x4 to get into and out of Saline Valley, and for 100 miles on I-40 in the snow.

I checked with the local 4x4 place and they did replace the hubs 1.5 months ago with the part Quigley originally installed. I probably will not go back to them after the conversation this morning, however. (Flagstaff 4X4)

Everything was turning, just the hubs didn't engage (it didn't always get get pushed into the gears when the selector was turned into them because of inner snap ring differences).

When the Warn hubs started having problems the first time I took off the twisty mechanism thinking Id see chewed up parts, but they looked fine inside. The local 4x4 shop didn't diagnose why the hubs didn't work, they said they just replaced the hubs with the same ones that where on there.

The Ford dealer mechanic showed me how the Warn hubs were not getting pushed in far enough to engage the inner gears unless everything was lined up perfect (which the inner snap ring groove tolerances would not allow all the time)

I bought the rig 6 years old with 30k miles on it, I don't think the original owner ever used the 4wd.

It was interesting that my E-350 had already been to the Bishop dealer for other unrelated problems.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:38 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
The Ford dealer showed me how the Warn hubs were not getting pushed in far enough to engage the inner gears unless everything was lined up perfect (which the inner snap ring groove tolerances would not allow all the time)
It is nice when someone will understand the problem (and explain it to you) instead of just throwing parts at it!

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanley
Quigley put together all the parts. I talked to them this morning, all they could give me is the parts number for the original Warn manual hubs.
Assuming you are getting good advice that the Warn hubs aren't compatible with your front axle, sounds like another great reason to avoid the Quigly conversion.

Good luck getting it worked out. I know all too well how the feeling of chasing your tail without getting to a solution that works.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #10

Sorry for taking this OT, but I don't know enough about hubs to be any help.

But..........since it sounds like you've just returned, how are the passes into saline valley?

We are heading out there in two weeks and I'm hoping for a relatively easy drive. Last year at this time we could not make it over south pass.

Thanks.
R