Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2010, 05:21 PM   #11

Re: Moving to somewhere snowy - should I get 4 x 4?

Without 4x4 we would be stuck in our driveway in the mountains. Even with 4x4 I have been stuck in our driveway in the mountains. We get a heck of a lot of snow around here above 3500 feet. Oregon not as much. Without 4 wheel drive you might as well not even bother coming to the mountains during the winter. Chains and traction tires are usually mandatory during storms by WADOT going over any of the passes. This is just one night of snow pic below.......

To answer the original question, yes you can get by with 2 wheel drive no problem if not going to mountains often. Even just passing through you can use chains and traction tires as required. I am in the mountains every weekend so it is not an option for me. Without 4x4 I would be stuck.

This is my Chevy 4x4 under all that snow.

here is another of where I got stuck in my mom's driveway with 4x4. The bumpers don't make a good plow!

Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 04:29 PM   #12

I've had to use both the 4 wheel drive and my lockers to get through the snow in my driveway. I think, because of the weight of the SMB, 4 wheel drive is a necessity in snow country

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 04:16 PM   #13

On the other hand....FWD will allow you to get twice as stuck. Notice the large winches on the front of the vans?
SierraHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:58 AM   #14

or keep you from having to wait for the spring thaw to get your van out!

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference." - Robert Frost
winvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 04:54 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida
I'm a newb, but I've got my eye on this sportsmobile that looks just about perfect. I'd like to get it soon. However, it's not a 4 x 4, which saves bucks. However, I'm moving to OR, where they have this stuff called snow - we don't get much of that in Austin, TX. Should I go for it and get the 4 x 4? I'm thinking I could do a lot without it. Will snow tires do the trick? People of the forum, please advise.
The ability of a vehicle to move or stop is dependant on the same thing:

TRACTION.

Without it you can have power on all four wheels and sit and spin all four tires just as easilly as you can have all four wheels locked pressing hard on your brake pedal and continue moving forward. If you just want to drive, in control, on snow / ice covered roads, even push through snow banks (within reason) improve your traction with propper tires, studded tires or chains. You don't need a 4x4. My experience after driving my 2WD, 1989 F150 for 23 winters is that decent tires, a little bit of weight in the box (to improve traction) and using chains a few times has gotten me anywhere I've ever wanted to go, even in fairly deep snow, safely.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by puravida
I'm a newb, but I've got my eye on this sportsmobile that looks just about perfect. I'd like to get it soon. However, it's not a 4 x 4, which saves bucks. However, I'm moving to OR, where they have this stuff called snow - we don't get much of that in Austin, TX. Should I go for it and get the 4 x 4? I'm thinking I could do a lot without it. Will snow tires do the trick? People of the forum, please advise.

You can get by without 4x4, if staying away from snowy mountain passes. Studded tires are best in ice at slow speeds. All Terrain tires and chains should get you most places. It is convenient to have a 4x4, but can also get you really stuck. Safe winter driving is more of mindset than anything else.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:21 PM   #17

Locally (Seattle) we had a big snow storm and everyone who didn't have 4 wheel drive had to park their cars at the bottom of hills and all over the freeway. I counted 250 cars abandoned alongside the road due to it being to slippery. Almost everyone of them was 2 wheel drive vehicles. I was in my SMB in 4 wheel drive and didn't have a problem what so ever. Stopping was a little tricky but planning for it in advance and no problems. I put the van in 2 wheel drive and I couldn't even get going and the back end was all over the place.

For me in snow 4 wheel drive is a must.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #18

Depends where in oregon you are moving to, and how much you intend to be driving in the snow. If you live in the valley and you are not a skier, 2wd will be fine for as rare as the snow is there. If you live in the mountains and/or ski a lot, I consider 4WD almost mandatory.

I live in Bend, OR and ski a lot. Just today we are in the middle of our first good snow. I was driving my AWD work van today and was so so glad it was AWD. Not that I couldn't have gotten around in a 2wd, it's just so much nicer with AWD or 4WD. I also have a front drive car (does quite good with good winter tires), a 4x4 truck (WORTHLESS in 2WD, great in 4WD) and a rear drive VW Vanagon (is ok but must have very good tires). My AWD was rocking with just regular all season tires.

If you're sticking to highways, that are plowed and sanded, 99% of the time you'll be ok with 2WD. If you are going to drive on un-maintained highways, or travel a lot in the snow (meaning you'll likely encounter times-even on main highways-that the plows haven't been through yet), you're really going to wish you had 4x4.

In off-road conditions, a 2WD with limited slip or locker can do very nearly as well as a 4x4. In snow, it's totally different. 2WD isn't even close to 4WD. Not even close. Period. You don't always HAVE to have it, but you're always glad you do.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroySmith80
a 4x4 truck (WORTHLESS in 2WD, great in 4WD) and a rear drive VW Vanagon (is ok but must have very good tires).
The Jeep Comanche (MJ) is the pickup version of the downsized Cherokee (XJ). From the B pillar up they are nearly identical. Both the Comanches I've driven in the snow handled great in 2wd, despite having a lighter back end than the Cherokees I've driven which were all death on snow in 2wd. This is across 5 total vehicles and probably 7 sets and qualities of tire... never understood it.

The Sportsmobile and my F250 have always been great, whereas my old G20 was only passable on snow. It just varies.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #20

The guys that say a 4x4 gets you in more trouble are lacking common sense.
Go bust your snow drifts.
In the snow, pick-up trucks, rear wheel drive cars and vans are usually the first to the side of the road (abandoning cars is big in the PNW lol).
Posi all around, good all season/winter/siped tires in your 4x and you can go most places easily.
No need to white knuckle - just sip your coffee!
I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers which have factory siping in them. Decent in 2x w/posi (my van is light in the rear).
Excellent in 4x4, no need to select the locker in front - lockers will put you sideways.

Also which no one has mentioned is, in 4x4 you have 4 wheel compression braking. Let off and all four wheels slow you.

Sure you can do it in 2x.
4x is worlds easier.