Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2007, 02:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buji
I need to ride in another 4x SMB to make sure, but when I did before it reminded me a lot of my lifted '01 jeep wrangler.
The swaybar in my wrangler is broken- trust me it's a lot more like *that*

Old 09-01-2007, 08:04 AM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Quote:
I need to ride in another 4x SMB to make sure, but when I did before it reminded me a lot of my lifted '01 jeep wrangler.
The swaybar in my wrangler is broken- trust me it's a lot more like *that*
Swaybar, what's a swaybar? My Bronco has 4.5" of suspension lift, and 1" of body lift. It's Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Herb
Old 09-10-2007, 12:30 AM   #23

ok, I'm back. I'm going to do a more in-depth review post of the 4x4 system and how well it worked on my inaugural trip, but here's the 5 cent version:

Awesome. The airbag suspension REALLY made a difference on the washboards I traveled on. Spent over 100 miles on rough washboard one day working out the best levels for my van, and eventually got it about as smooth as it gets on rough pavement.

Of course, I also spent a lot of time feeling like a b-17 pilot approaching Dresden taking flak... but that's an SMBer's lot in life.

I also broke a few parts and fixed a few things, just to prove I wasn't taking it to lightly

The aluminess swing-out spare carrier was not up to the task of holding on to the 37x13.5 tires. After the clasp seized on that side sending the arm swinging out behind me while in traffic, I pulled it apart and put it back together with liberal application of wd-40. Then it seized again in the closed position, and ended up ripping the entire bracket off of the bumper while on the 4x4 trail. pics to come tomorrow morning.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:40 AM   #24

Tire Carriar woes

You are not alone Buji. The spare tire carrier seized up on my rig on the Race Track Road in Death Valley NP last March, and I have much smaller tires than your rig. It locked itself closed on the rear bumper and couldn't be opened without a bunch of work with a screw driver.

Finally repaired it when I got home by dissembling the latch and using a lot of WD-40.
Dagger Royalex Legend 16 foot canoe (white-water)
Maravia New Wave 13.5 foot raft (fishing and white-water)
Ed in Montana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 11:03 PM   #25
Sam

Buji:

Tell me more about "The airbag suspension" you installed.

Sam

Quote:
ok, I'm back. I'm going to do a more in-depth review post of the 4x4 system and how well it worked on my inaugural trip, but here's the 5 cent version:

Awesome. The airbag suspension REALLY made a difference on the washboards I traveled on. Spent over 100 miles on rough washboard one day working out the best levels for my van, and eventually got it about as smooth as it gets on rough pavement.

Of course, I also spent a lot of time feeling like a b-17 pilot approaching Dresden taking flak... but that's an SMBer's lot in life.

I also broke a few parts and fixed a few things, just to prove I wasn't taking it to lightly

The aluminess swing-out spare carrier was not up to the task of holding on to the 37x13.5 tires. After the clasp seized on that side sending the arm swinging out behind me while in traffic, I pulled it apart and put it back together with liberal application of wd-40. Then it seized again in the closed position, and ended up ripping the entire bracket off of the bumper while on the 4x4 trail. pics to come tomorrow morning.
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 11:22 AM   #26

It's the firestore ride right system. The front bags go inside the coil springs as seen in the previous pictures.

The rears mount atop the middle of the leaf springs and mounts to the frams.

There are two gages under the front dash, one for front and one for back. Each gage has two needles, one for left, one for right. On the side of each gage are two switches, for the corresponding bag. you lift up to increase the pressure in the bag, and lower it to purge air pressure.

They have minimum fill amounts, as you must maintain SOME air pressure in the bags, but with the weight of the vehicle you can air them down pretty significantly. Coupled with the adjustable rancho shocks I had installed, I can control the spring and damper of the suspension.

The air springs, when pressurized, can keep the vehicle very flat under braking and cornering maneuvers. In order to smooth out the washboard ride, I had to air down the tires 10 lbs, lower the damper rate of the shocks all the way, and reduce the airbags to about 20% of where I had them on the road. This resulted in a very 'floaty' suspension, but it was MUCH better with regards the amount of vibration and harshness that was transmitted to the body.

My hopes at using the air springs to level the vehicle at all are pretty much shot. with the weight of the vehicle, the difference in the pressurized bags don't move the van much at all, but it certainly changes the ride quality. I can get them to move about an inch or so.

When I go out for lunch I'll grab some pics.
https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/alb...43791a54be.jpg
Buji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:35 PM   #27

Garage
Would the Firestone air bags be a good option for helping out my 01 Quigley's slightly sagging rear? Its not bad but if it would give 'er a little boost (1-2") it would be great.

(The Ranchos that originally came on my van were recently replaced w/ Bilsteins about 10k ago)
I've been looking to adress the slightly droopy rear w/ either Helwig helper springs or perhaps the air setup. Any thoughts of the 2? If I could retain a decent ride that would help smooth things out it would be a bonus as I live 1 1/2 miles up a sometims rather washboarded dirt road. Airing up and down daily is not an option. I'd rather set and forget most of the time unless I have a long way to travel offroad
Thanks
D
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM   #28

alta825
have you considered lift blocks?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #29

Garage
Alta, head over to your local suspension/brake shop and have them add one additional large leaf to the rear stack. That oughta do it.
Old 09-12-2007, 04:33 PM   #30

Garage
If I go that route is there something special I should ask for or avoid? What kind of ballpark price would we be taking

Thanks for the tip, hadn't considered that yet

D