Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2012, 01:33 AM   #1

NEED GOOD 4X4 REPAIR PLACE BETWEEN PORTLAND AND BELLINGHAM

My SMB is @ 55,000 miles. I needed to, and just did replace 2 tie rod ends, 2 drag links and the ball joints on the driver side.

I drove it 500 miles and it was not right. Took it to local alignment place. They had to adjust the ball joint properly and that the tie rod ends had to be aligned correctly.

Now I am in Vancouver. I look underneath and the axle seals are hanging lose by both front tires at the out board of the differential rods. Also, some times it goes to the left and some times the breakes make it pull to the left.

I am heading to Bellingham to get on the ferry to Alaska on the 8th of June and want to get it fixed.

Angel

2006 Chalet LTW 15ft. Folding Travel Trailer 14 in. tires
Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:42 AM   #2

Re: NEED GOOD 4X4 REPAIR PLACE BETWEEN PORTLAND AND BELLINGH

Angel

I'll assume you are in Vancouver Washington and not Vancouver BC. I'd suggest you drive down to Northwest Quadvan Tuesday and talk to John about your problem. If he can't get your van on a lift I'm sure he can steer you to a good place to have your problem fixed.

http://www.quadvan.com/

From Vancouver take I-5 southbound. Get on the 405 (right two lanes after the Swan Island exit)and head for HWY 30 west to the coast. Head west on 30 into the industrial area (stay on HWY30 don't take the first offramp that may be labled as the industrial area) and make a right on 26th ave. I think there is a light on 26th. Don't get suckered into going left off of HWY 30 looking for 26th like I did the first time I was down there. 26th will take you up and over a railroad track then dump you out on Front Ave. Turn right on Front and NW Quadvan is on the right side of the road about a mile down from the turn. There are usually a couple of Quadvans parked out front.

Gnarvan 1992 E350 Clubwagon
Advanced 4WD Systems Conversion

Sotar Legend 12.5' X 22" Cataraft
2003 BMW R1150GS-Adventure
2013 BMW R1200GS-Adventure
Gnarvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Fingers crossed for you Angel. Nothing like a timeline to increase the tension.

Herb
Old 05-28-2012, 09:01 AM   #4

If Quadvan can't help you, perhaps try Newberg Ford. I know they sell lots of Quigley and Qvan 4x4 vans...
frostyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 09:23 AM   #5

I have a Salem Kroger 4x4. I thought Quadvan only worked on Quigleys.

I would rather go anywhere than to a Ford Dealer. I do not trust them do to personal experience.

Yes, I am in OR

Angel
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 AM   #6

Garage
NEED GOOD 4X4 REPAIR PLACE BETWEEN PORTLAND AND BELLINGHAM

Angel, John at Quadvan will work on just about anything. I've seen every sort of conversion there on a lift with John fixing things. You will be in good hands.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #7

Thanks for the idea of John @ Quadvan. Hopefully he would take a look at my Sportsmobile 4x4 the next time something breaks.

Another idea is Olympic 4x4 in Snohomish, WA. They seem pretty crafty and I've heard only good things so far. The only work I've done with them is fabricating a front hitch, fabricating a new tie rod, and doing my alignment.

-- Geoff
Old 05-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #8

John at Northwest Quadvan !!! (Portland, OR)

(503) 224-3629

Info@Quadvan.com

Great guy, and he does great work. He can also check the rest of the "Bad work" your other shop did.
Rear Axle - 1 Ton Spec Dana 60/Full Floating
Eaton E-Lockers Front And Rear/4:10 Gears
ARB Differential Covers - Nodular Iron With Dipstick And Drain Plug
Leaf Spring Suspension Front And Rear
46 Gal Transfer-Flow Fuel Tank
ExtremeAire Magnum Air Compressor
Reunel Rear Bumper
On And On ...
BIGVANS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 10:16 PM   #9

Thank you every one for your help. Also, thanks to Seattle who e mailed me that 4Wheel in Lynnwood had just worken on his van and Josh had been very helpful and he recommended them.

I was at Quadvan at 8 AM and talked to John. He crawled under my van for a good look around. The lose seals were nothing to worry about, in fact he always cuts them off when they hang. They do nothing except maybe keep dirt in. There are sealed seals near the diff pumpkin.

John was wonderful. He spent an hour explaining my 4x4 and showing me how salem kroger did things and how he does things. The work I had done on my van is ok now.

My interment wandering is caused by too much weight in the back which unloads weight in the front. My van sags in the back. He suggested adding Firestone "stage bags" air bags. (not "billows")placed dead center on the axel. Do not let them put them towards the back of the springs. Part # F series # 2264. List price for the kit is $360 but should cost around $300. John thought if I waited till I got back from Alaska to get the air bags would not be a problem

Reasons for me to get air bags as opposed to new leaf springs: 1. I already have on board air which will save a lot of cost. 2. I will not have the same total weight when I tow my trailer so the air bag are adjustable. #3. stiffer springs will give me less articulation when I go 4 wheeling.

John's future business is doing top quality instulations on a high production bases of 4X4 systems utilizing his extensive knowledge.

Thanks for every one's help. I can now travel on to Alaska worry free
Old 05-30-2012, 01:32 AM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel
John was wonderful. He spent an hour explaining my 4x4 and showing me how salem kroger did things and how he does things
Only one hour? He must have been busy with other things! Seriously though, John is a genius and I am glad he was able to take care of you. He also suggested air bags for my rig, but I eventually had Deavers installed instead. They fixed my sag and really improved the handling on the road. I do not tow, so adjustability was not a factor in my decision. Have fun in Alaska!

Steve in L.A.