Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 04:56 PM   #1

Need new front brakes and shocks

Hi all,

I have a 2006 E350 EB SMB conversion with the 6.0 diesel. Just found out that I need new front brakes and shocks - probably will replace all 4 shocks. I've had the front brakes done once (rotors and pads) about 50K+ miles ago, but don't go to that mechanic any more and don't know what brakes he used. We have a full built out van and we sometimes tow a motorcylce trailer that comes to about 1400lb. with both bikes on. So, I'm looking for recommendations on brake pads (mechanic didn't say it needs new rotors - hopefully not).

Same for recommendations on the shocks. We have the original build from SMB, so not Agile RIP kit or anything with leaf springs and Fox shocks I believe. We do a decent amount of 4WD roads, though nothing too crazy.

Thanks for any advice you can give me,
Ed

eruddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 06:28 PM   #2

Calipers are likely OEM unless you spec'd the Storm Brake package offered by Brakeman. That was a pricey upgrade so most folks would opt for OEM or the Superbrake package which was upgraded brakeman rotorsand pads.

Anyhow, lots of brake threads on here. I've been running Hawk LTS pads which have a lot of bite. NAPA Premium gets good reviews and Ford superduty pads are also good. As for shocks you could try the bolt-on replacements Fox shocks that SMB sells. https://www.sportsmobilestore.com/fox-shox-2-0-performance-series-front/
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #3
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Yup....the Hawk LTS pads are quality, I’ve used them in the past on the van and on other vehicles, currently running the Napa premium pads up front on upgraded rotors from FrozenRotors, I got the slotted cryo treated and had them re drilled for 8x6.5
For shocks I’d go SMB Fox shocks, and upgrade your steering stabilizer at the same time. If the Fox shocks aren’t an option, go Bilstein. It’s been talked about and there are various recommendations, but the Bilstein’s come in “comfort” and “HD”, logic says HD for our heavy rigs, but they are valved for larger RV’s with lots of weight hanging off the rear end, some like them, I think they’d be a bit stiff and often jarring on our vans, I ran their “comfort” version on the rear before getting into the Agile tuned Fox. You can cross reference your current shocks for part numbers.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:10 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I'll probably go with the SMB Fox shocks. It is most likely what is on there since I think they are the original shocks on the van. I bought the van used. The van is at the mechanics at the moment so I can't check to be sure.

I'll check out the brakes. I noticed in the SMB store Dynatrac Ford Front Rotors. Has anyone used these?
eruddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:45 PM   #5
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
No, but Dynatrac is pretty well known and is a reputable co that makes some great stuff, I’m running their free spin hub kit that replaced the front end unit bearings on my 60. If you needed rotors, this would be a solid choice. Someone else can answer this, did SMB’s 4X4’s convert over to 8X6.5 like the Quigley’s? Either way, the rotors from SMB will have the correct bolt pattern for your application.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:38 PM   #6

I'm pretty sure Dynatrac's rotors are sourced from somewhere else like everybody else. I would just order directly from them rather than going through the SMB store as they probably don't have them in stock and would need to source them from Dynatrac.

Or, buy an aftermarket rotor and have them drilled out. This is from the 4x4 sticky: Rotors: '95-'98 F-350 4x4, stud holes must be drilled to 21/32" for our larger studs. Auto Specialty part #DA 601125-D.

I'm not sure what Auto Specialty is as that's a Dynatrac part#. Anyhow, I've done it both ways and there's not much price difference. As for 8x6.5 I think SMB stayed with that when sourcing the dynatrac prorock60 to match the OEM size in the back as most opted for the semi-floater that came on the van from Ford rather than the expensive ProRock80 FF upgrade.

Or, you can have the rotors I just took off my van when I upgraded my front brakes to the 08+ rotors and calipers. They have 10,000 miles on them. Free +shipping. I was just going to recycle theml but I can measure the rotor thickness if your interested.
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote