Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2010, 01:03 PM   #1

Need Photo

I'm sure there's a photo somewhere in the Galleries, but I don't know how to do a search there. So, what I need is a picture of the rear end showing one of the shock mounts welded on to the axle tube. This would be on a SMB 4x4 conversion with the stock Ford rear end. Best photo would be a level side view taken from in front of a rear wheel. Something where I can see how high the shock mount is relative to the bottom of the axle tube.
My need is due to the fact that I replaced my Ford unit with a DynaTrac one and I think the lower shock mounts are higher on the DynaTrac then the SMB converted Ford one. This is causing the rear shocks to be, in affect, too short. Just wanted to check afore I start cutting and welding.
Anyone got one in their Gallery or can shoot one and post it for me???

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 PM   #2

Re: Need Photo

Went through a bunch of stuff and no shots from the front of the rear axle. I'll try to take some tomorrow if nothing turns up before then.

You can hit the RANDOM link at the top if you want a random chance at turning up something from the galleries...
Old 01-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #3

I just took a couple, let me know if this helps. I can easily get you some more if needed. Good luck.

Geoff

Old 01-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #4

That doesn't look like mine, sdwindansea

Here's mine:

For the record, Stock F250:

Looks like there can be height/mount variation even between SMB rear axles
Old 01-15-2010, 10:44 AM   #5

Arrggg - just what I need, same but different. Thanks for the photos guys, just what I was looking for. I thot that mine was like Jage's, but don't have a memory I can trust. My DynaTrac is now more like Geoff's. As you can see, going from one to the other would make a big difference on shock length. My rig is an '07 like Geoff's, so maybe??? But then, maybe not.

Anyone have an opinion on how much shock length should be available on the rear? The shocks have an 8" throw, so should they be mounted with 4" exposed when just sitting? That gives 4" of travel up and down. I'd like to get a longer shock, but Bilstein only has an 8" with the upper mount in a stud. To get a 10" throw, gotta go to an eye mount on both ends. Major hassle to change the upper Ford mount, and an adapter takes up too much space. What's a Mother to do???

Any one else with the SMB and Ford axle want to chip in on how their rear mount looks? Best 3 out of 5? 5 out of 7??? Sigh....

EDIT: I just found some old photos on an external hard drive and my setup was like Geoff's. I guess they made the '07s similar. Again, thanks for the help guys. Now, I still need to decide if an 8" shock is long enough. Guess it's time for a ramp test??

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 01-15-2010, 11:50 AM   #6

My '08 looks exactly like Geoff's
charlie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:11 PM   #7

Scatter,

You strike me as someone who probably already knows this, but just in case...

If you have a way to measure how far the shock can compress before it bottoms out, it should be as easy as measuring the distance between the axle and the bump stop. Shorter distance to the bump stop means it will do its job to protect the shock. At least that seems to work on my Jeep.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:12 AM   #8

Yeah thanks jessenej. The shocks have a little o-ring on the shaft that pushes up on compression. On nasty roads, it ends up right at the top. In other words, maybe bottoming out. Can't tell if they stop right at the top or hit hard.
When Deaver installed the new springs, there wasn't a new bump stop installed. Something I've been meaning to do, but...... Really something Deaver should have done. Only thing I've found to complain about on the new setup.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
Old 01-16-2010, 12:13 PM   #9

I just had Bilstein 7100's put in the rear of my Jeep. Made me think of two things related to your post:

1. The distance to the bumpstop.
2. Dave at Extreme had to convert the top of the shock to mount to the Jeep. It involved knocking out what was there and replacing it with the Jeep mount. All of this was on the shock, not the Jeep. Don't know if is similar to the Ford mount or not. I can snap some pics if you think it might help.

I've blown out a complete set of shocks learning the lesson that they cannot be the limit (up or down). So, I feel your pain.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Thanks for the offer jessenej, but don't need any photos. The 7100's on the rear of the van have the same mounting as stock Ford - Stud on top and eye on the bottom. I'm going to call Deaver on Monday and discuss with them and then build bump stops. At $188 a pop, one can't afford to ruin too many....

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB