Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2011, 11:15 AM   #1

need some advice about center of gravity on EB with high top

I want to buy a Ford E350 Extended body with 12' foot cargo bed and add a 4X4 lift to it, and I also want to add a high top, like the Voyager high top.

I want to know which company is best to go through to get the 4X4 conversion done, how reliable they are, and how long it takes to get it done. I live in New Jersey. I also want to know how the added height (4X4 chassis lift) plus the added height of the fixed in place high top (so I can stand in the back) will affect my vehicle's center of gravity when turning, in winds, and when the vehicle is on the highway.

I plan on taking a trip west this summer so I hope to get it done by then. I want to be able to go up into Canada to get to Alaska with it. I also want to be able to get down into Mexico with it.

I don't have plans on taking it on rocky gorges, only need the 4X4 because I like to travel where it's
more quiet and there are dirt roads, which may be muddy.

Thanks for your help.

theno1katzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 12:08 PM   #2
Site Team

Garage
Re: need some advice about center of gravity on EB with high

Quote:
Originally Posted by theno1katzman
I want to buy a Ford E350 Extended body with 12' foot cargo bed and add a 4X4 lift to it, and I also want to add a high top, like the Voyager high top.

I want to know which company is best to go through to get the 4X4 conversion done, how reliable they are, and how long it takes to get it done. I live in New Jersey. I also want to know how the added height (4X4 chassis lift) plus the added height of the fixed in place high top (so I can stand in the back) will affect my vehicle's center of gravity when turning, in winds, and when the vehicle is on the highway.

I plan on taking a trip west this summer so I hope to get it done by then. I want to be able to go up into Canada to get to Alaska with it. I also want to be able to get down into Mexico with it.

I don't have plans on taking it on rocky gorges, only need the 4X4 because I like to travel where it's
more quiet and there are dirt roads, which may be muddy.

Thanks for your help.
Take some time and search the site, there is plenty of info on your questions.

When choosing a lift you might want to consider local servicing. Fresno is where SMB does most of the lifts. I don’t know companies who do lifts in your area but Ujoint Off Road may be a good choice for you http://ujointoffroad.com/home.html . Someone local to you might do a Quigley conversion as well. The Voyager top is not as tall as an extended penthouse top if I’m not mistaken. As far as stability goes, even the Cruiser tops are not “scary” on the trail. It will probably depend more on how the interior is built. My PH EB 350 can go about 25 degrees of tilt before worry but just 20* is eye opening when you’re in that situation. I opted for the PH model because I frequent areas that have low overhangs such as tree limbs but each owner has preferences.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 02:45 PM   #3

Quigley is near you,and can ordedred from any Ford dealer. But, only new conversions. Ford will warrant the conversions.

Otherwise you have chioces, U-Joint, Quadvan, Salem Kroger, Advanced 4WD.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #4

I don't think the high-top itself really affects CG since it isn't that much weight alone. It's when you mount cabinets up there that it can start to bring weight skyward.

If you want leaf springs, without a doubt go UJoint. He has a great package at an affordable price. I also like QuadVan, who does a coil setup from the '05+ pickups. It's quite a bit more $ than UJoint, but uses the most Ford parts, and also tightens up the turning radius.
Old 02-28-2011, 07:13 PM   #5

I have a EB with voyager top on a SMB west conversion that had 33"s and now 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers.
Not only to I wheel it pretty hard but I let newbie disabled guys drive it with handcontrols through my non-profit Disabled Explorers
Go to Youtube and search Disabled Explorers and there are some moab videos.
The way SMB did the built the CG felt nice and low, 46gal fuel tank, 16gal water tank, aux batteries and all that was mounted at floor level.
Also the Alumiess Roof rack was very light even with Rigid LED lights, solar and basic cabinets.
Did lots of off camber stuff, and while it feels crazy since you sit pretty happy, it is very stable.
I also ran with the sway bar disconnected full time and even with hard hiway speed swerves there was no issue.

Feel free to go to www.disabledexplorers.org and look around or disabledexplorers.org/gallery for more pics under media or wave

please ask any and all questions.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:26 PM   #6

I had a company in Indianapolis do 2 of my van 4x4 conversions the only do coil spring. And I'm glade the do I love the ride it cost more than leaf springs but rides so much better I think.
Chimneyman is offline   Reply With Quote