Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2013, 12:03 AM   #11

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: New Shoes

You don't have to convince me that TTB is the best - I know it is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by depark
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
That beautiful van is a Clydesdale Ford Twin-Traction Beam, should ride awesome!
Just as an FYI, It DOES ride awesome! My wife and I agree that it rides getter that the stock configuration. I Like it.
Cheers
Darryl

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
More wheel with less sidewall will stiffen the van up even more. The wandering is most likely a Quigley issue, unless your tires are not E rated.
While I am no authority, there has been lots of discussions on the handling characteristics of quigley equipped vans; wandering, death wobble...I do not believe it is inherently a quigley issue as many allude to, I haven't had any of the described symptoms and am diligent about either checking myself or having my bushings checked for any play or visual signs of being worn, I have seen bushings on torque arms worn down (not mine) that would easily explain some of the issues described. If you have even a LITTLE play from any worn front bushings or steering linkages, it will be amplified 10 fold when driving down the highway at 75mph. Check your sway bar bushings, track bar bushings(torque arms), upper and lower ball joints, and spring pack bushings if you have leaf spring front end(not quigley?) maybe just replace/upgrade all with polyurethane and replace your steering damper with a better one (bilstein) I have a hunch that will solve the issues...just my .02
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

I have 17" wheels. We bought our 2004 2WD Sportsmobile in 2008. At time, Sportsmobile had changed their assembly proceedure to the new 2008 and newer Ford vans and didn't want to convert a 2004 to 4WD. They suggested Salem Kroger in Red Bluff, CA. Craig at SK suggested larger brakes, and to accomodate them we had to go to 17" wheels. For tires, I went with Toyo Open Country AT (now called AT2's), LT 285 75 R17. They are not real aggressive but do fine in snow, sand, and even some mud. They ride great on the highway. The original tires had an outside diameter of 29 1/2", and the new ones are 34". At the time of the conversion, I decided to re-gear the rear end so Craig put in 4.56 which makes the van think it still has the original 4.10 rear end. Speedometer and shift points are spot on. Although if I were to do it again, I might live with the speedometer being off to get the better fuel mileage....... It rides great. I've been very happy with the conversion. Too bad Salem Kroger folded up.
oclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 11:53 AM   #14

I've had 18" wheels since 2004. Mine are F350 takeoffs from eBay. Cheaper than aftermarket, came with tires and they are the correct offset - if you have a 4x4 conversion with a stock F350 front axle and either adapters in the rear or an F350 rear axle.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 09:18 PM   #15

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

http://www.race-dezert.com/classifie...tails&id=56070

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 03:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv
I have 17" wheels. We bought our 2004 2WD Sportsmobile in 2008. At time, Sportsmobile had changed their assembly proceedure to the new 2008 and newer Ford vans and didn't want to convert a 2004 to 4WD. They suggested Salem Kroger in Red Bluff, CA. Craig at SK suggested larger brakes, and to accomodate them we had to go to 17" wheels. For tires, I went with Toyo Open Country AT (now called AT2's), LT 285 75 R17. They are not real aggressive but do fine in snow, sand, and even some mud. They ride great on the highway. The original tires had an outside diameter of 29 1/2", and the new ones are 34". At the time of the conversion, I decided to re-gear the rear end so Craig put in 4.56 which makes the van think it still has the original 4.10 rear end. Speedometer and shift points are spot on. Although if I were to do it again, I might live with the speedometer being off to get the better fuel mileage....... It rides great. I've been very happy with the conversion. Too bad Salem Kroger folded up.
I am thinking about going with the toyo open country at2's. I have the MT's now. How heavy is your rig? I have a heavy rig and am concerned with the weight limit. Do you still like them?
LFFE is offline   Reply With Quote