Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2011, 10:19 AM   #1

New Shoes?

Looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/70/17 on Moto Metal mo951. Calling now for pricing.... thoughts?

Old 04-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #2

Re: New Shoes?

Jeremiah,
I'm running the 325/70x17s and Like them a lot although they are not E range. Got 34000 out of the first set with no problems. May go to the Toyo MT next time. The verdict is still out.

Paul
Old 04-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #3

I had the 315's and they lasted about 30k miles. They were D range. They were good in snow but horrible in any kind of mud. They tracked great. I switched to Toyo MT and the Toyos are actually more quiet than the nitto. The traction on the Toyos can't be beat. Much better than the Nitto I had on the van. The only thing nitto could win in would be snow traction... However I drove in all sorts of snow conditions this winter with the Toyos and they did really well.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #4

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers (AT / E-rated) on our SMB. Running 285/75/16. Overall I like them a lot. However, as said above, they are horrible in the mud. Luckily that usually isn't too much of a problem for us. I have about 30k miles on them right now. I'm guessing I can get another 7 - 10k out of them. Yes, I would buy them again, but I would also be open to alternatives.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:02 PM   #5

Had the Nittos on my 2005 EB350, smb 4x4 (285/75/16E). Not bad in the dry. Had some new Goodyear Duratracs (285/75/16E) put on two months ago. Great all around. Very impressive snow and ice performance. Drove home from New Mexico the other night in a blinding ice/snow storm and they were unflappable. Was in Moab the previous week in the mud and rock crawling on Steelbender. Didn't slip a shoe. Highly recommend them though they are a bit noisier than the Nittos. Paid @$1000 for four, mounted and balanced at a Goodyear store in Colorado.
mtnrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #6

I put a set of Fierce Attitudes made by Dunlop on my 2003 SMB. I know these are not one of the top name brands, but these tires are great. Very nice ride, E rated, M/T, quieter than the BFGs that I had on previously. Great traction in the mud, sand and on the slick rock. For as agressive as they are they handle well.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:09 AM   #7

Watching this thread with interest. I need similar shoes (315/70/17) for the new van. I really have enjoyed the Toyo 305/75/16 ATs on he old van and am looking for 17" E rated options for my upcoming roadtrip that would include equal amounts of highway and dirt roads.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactic
Watching this thread with interest. I need similar shoes (315/70/17) for the new van. I really have enjoyed the Toyo 305/75/16 ATs on he old van and am looking for 17" E rated options for my upcoming roadtrip that would include equal amounts of highway and dirt roads.
If you've been happy with the Toyos, then you probably know the open country AT is offered in a wide variety of 17" sizes.

I recently went from 16" to 17" wheels and purchased the Toyo AT in a 285/75/17 size. This is a 34" tire so slightly larger than my 285/75/16s which were a 33" size.

After about 2,000 miles, I'm very pleased with the choice in terms of on-road handling, noise and comfort. I also did a couple days driving in heavy snow/ice and they performed quite well.....which I fully expected from an AT tire. Prior to the Toyos I had goodyear silent armours and they were an excellent tire too. Probably would have stuck with them if they had a 17" option.

The 285/75/17 Toyo ATs are E rated with a load capacity of 3970. Looking to get them off-road later this summer. I picked the Toyos largely because of the range of 17" choices and because they supposedly have excellent sidewall strength and durability.
R
Old 04-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Looking at Nitto Terra Grapplers 305/70/17 on Moto Metal mo951. Calling now for pricing.... thoughts?
Don't get them if you go off road. I have 285/75/17 (maybe 295, can't remember), anyway, about 10k miles on them, they are great on the road, quiet, great ride etc etc, can't get traction on anything offroad, I was really disappointed. Going back to Toyo's AT or Nitto M/T when they are done.
SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 PM   #10
Site Team

Garage

The problem I'm having is finding the tires. I'm after 285-75-R16 E's or 305-70-R16 E's in a mud terrain that's not too aggressive.

I'd like to hear from those who have used the tire rack (or similar) to purchase your tires. I would have to pay about 25 to 30 bucks per tire to have them mounted and balanced. Then no local warrantee to boot. So dealing on line would have to be a major cost saving on my part.

A few things I'm considering:
>>A tire that is rated well with a good safe track record. Although I never had problems with the two sets of BFG's I've owned, I don't ever want to and too many members have posted problems with them.

>>A tire that has some ability to go further than 30K. My BFG-AT's melted away it seemed. Maybe that's normal wear?

>>Availability. I want to use a dealer where I can get the same tire out of state under a warrantee if possible if a problem ever pops up. Some dealers just don't carry certain brands and I'm finding some model tires are only made in batches. There is a wait for the Nitto Trail Grapplers and none of the dealers around here seem to have them. Wouldn't that be nice on a long trip? Anything made can usually be found at a higher cost but what a hassle.

>>A somewhat quiet ride that performs good on pavement while providing good trail characteristics.

>>Cost factor.

>>Look factor. Hey, the gals gotta have good looking shoes.

The Goodyear Wrangler Kevlar MT/R’s are nice and got a great review but are a directional tire. A non directional spare would have to be carried. The Wranglers also must be mounted with the white lettering out. Maybe that looks good?

The Goodyear fierce attitude look good and got a reasonably good review but don't know much about them.

I’m having a hard time finding Nitto Trail Grappler's. Nobody seems to have them right now in 305’s and the 285’s OTD from 4wheel parts (the only local dealer that had them) was a whopping 1300 bucks and I think they were 70's not 75's.

So now I'm looking at the Toyo open country MT’s. Very expensive and the cheapest I could fine was Les Schwab @ 1422.90 for the 305’s and 1336.59 for the 285’s. Sure are high dollar.

The Hankook Dynapro MT’s look good and have received resonable reviews. These tires took first place in a 10 tire shootout in the Hollister Hills mud. Les Schwab could do them for 991.00 for the 305’s and 930.00 for the 285’s. As easy as it is to get these and the price they’re going for has me looking hard at these. I just don’t know how well the sidewall will stand up to rough terrain compared to the Toyo’s and Wranglers.

I know there are other good tires out there but I'm leaning toward the Toyo's only because I've yet to hear anything bad about them and they are so easy to get around here. I still have some time to consider.
Attached Thumbnails
Goodyear-Fierce-Attitude_MT_tire-s.jpg   toyo-open-country-ds.jpg   hankook_rt_03.jpg  
Attached Images

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote