Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2013, 10:03 AM   #11

Re: New Tire Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Rob-be careful with those BFG A/T's in D, lots of people have reported tire failure on those here on the forum. I ran them on my rig for a bit before switching to toyo muds in E, luckily without issue. The toyos are lasting much longer than the BFG D rated tire because of the stiffer sidewall. I think that most of us will agree that whatever tire you end up with, stick with an E rated tire. Toyo as well as nitto have nice A/T tires, don't count them out.
I'm aware of those reports. My van weighs in at less than 8500 lbs, and I just don't need the thicker tires. I've used A/Ts for twelve years on it, and for years on a pickup with just a bit less weight. Haven't had any problems. Tires that are too beefy for the load present their own problems; it's always a compromise.

Rob

Old 05-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayaker
Thanks for all the thoughts. Think I've narrowed it down to the BFG AT or the Cooper AT3 both E rated versions.

Thoughts on sizing? I'd love to go bigger if possible. I have the 16" factory steel wheels and the 4" Quigly lift. Quigly recmends a 265/75R16 as the biggest without cutting fenders & bumpers. Thoughts/Experiences?
It's really hard to get a good answer on this since there are so many variables on these customized vehicles. That being said, I had to trim to get 285s on, but pretty much plastic. Not too big a deal. Best way is to get together with someone who has them, swap wheels, and then get it articulated enough to get the tire to all the places it can possibly go. A good tire shop could do that for you, but make sure they are offroad friendly so that they don't just stick 'em on when it's on the rack, that they actually test whether they fit.

And there's also gearing and brakes to consider.

Rob
Old 05-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #13

New Tire Help

285/75/16 bfg a/t on my 2002 eb50 Quigley with bushwackers and the fronts rub the fender lining on slow turns near full lock.

No noticeable road noise, drove 10k miles since new and shows very little wear. Mostly highway use with less than 100 miles light off road use so far. I rotate all 5 of them every 5k and frequently check psi.

Happy camper but for looks alone will get Toyo m/t open country next.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #14

Garage

i run the 285/75/16's as well. as far as i know, my 03 quigley 7.3 eb is stock and I get no rubbing. no matter the load, compression during turning etc. however, i had some bfg 315/75/16's on for one road trip last feb and only got slight rubbing on the lowest corner of the bumper on each side. didnt damage the tire at all, but it was during winter and they were always wet. im sure warm dry weather would have some tearing effect after time.

Im not sure what offset my wheels are though. front wheels are even with body and rears are just barely sunk.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 10:54 PM   #15

Thanks again for all the thoughts and ideas. Got 4 new Cooper AT3 put on tonight at Firestone in Grand Junction, CO for $877. I stuck with the 265/75R16 sizing. With my running boards the cutting for a bigger size would have been an issue. The other thing I realized was that I still carry my spare under the rig in the factory spot, which means I couldn't go bigger and have the same size spare without getting a rear bumper with tire carrier. The tires seem to track well, aren't any louder and have a good look, although not as mean looking as some MTs
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #16

Garage

Good deal on the coopers. i couldnt find any that cheap when i was looking.

and a 285/75/16 does fit in the stock spare spot. i still have mine there
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:30 AM   #17

I'm extremely happy with my Cooper Discover tires through Discount Tire (285/75/16, load range E). They appear to have a slightly more aggressive tread pattern than the Cooper Discoverer A/T3, but otherwise I think they are essentially the same tire. Sounds like you got a very good deal, hope you like them.