Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2013, 04:57 PM   #1

New Tire Help

I've been running BFG Rugged Trail 265/75R16 tires on my Sportsmobile since new, as they came on the used van when I bought it and where fairly new. I've put about 40,000+ highway miles and 300+ offroad miles on these tires. They are now in need of replacement, as they are starting to chunk around the outer edges.

I'm planning a LOT of highway miles over the next few months and for sure will be playing on trails as usual. When I offroad it is usually pretty mild, but I do offroad ALL over the country in lots of different conditions. My van fully loaded with gear, water, fuel and I weighs in at over 10,100 lbs and is 4x4.

From the reviews I've read I'm going to stick with an A/T E rated tire in the same size, 265/75R16. I think I'll stay away from the Nitto and Toyo options. The BFG AT or the Cooper AT3 seem like good options. Thoughts on the General Grabber AT2 or the Firestone Destination AT?

I'm in Grand Junction, CO and need to put some new rubber on the van before I leave for Overland Expo next weekend. Suggestions?

Also thinking about new rear shocks, so I'll throw that one out for suggestions as well. I have the Quigly 4" lift. I upgraded the fronts to ProComp adjustable already.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:44 PM   #2

Re: New Tire Help

I like the Cooper AT3, (285 70 17) comfy on the highway and handles well in the wet, snow, and mud. Highly rated tire.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #3

Every time I need tires I do a bunch of research, and every time I end up getting the BFG T/A KOs. I have the 285/75R16s, load range D (I think the Ds have a softer ride, and are easier to air down and air up since pressure maxes at 65...but everything's a compromise). They just seem to be great all-around performers. And they're everywhere, so replacing them is easy. They've always been one of the most popular, if not most popular, offroaders out there. You might get better value with some others, but you certainly won't make a bad choice by getting 'em.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
New Tire Help

Rob-be careful with those BFG A/T's in D, lots of people have reported tire failure on those here on the forum. I ran them on my rig for a bit before switching to toyo muds in E, luckily without issue. The toyos are lasting much longer than the BFG D rated tire because of the stiffer sidewall. I think that most of us will agree that whatever tire you end up with, stick with an E rated tire. Toyo as well as nitto have nice A/T tires, don't count them out.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #5

New Tire Help

I had the Grabber AT2 on my FJ. Nice enough tire, but it wore very quickly. I now have the Goodyear Duratrac on both the SMB (E rated) and the FJ. Seems to be a nice tire, sort of a cross between an AT and an MT. They have reasonable road noise and highway manners and are great in snow. The latter is important to us since we live in Truckee (near Lake Tahoe).

Of course, tires are almost as good as religion for generating differing opinions.

-- gordon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
Site Team

Garage
New Tire Help

I have always liked the bfg for its all around manners on and off road.

I just put a new set on last week to replace a set that I put 30k and not 100% sure what the PO had on them before I started. The tread was still pretty good but after a bunch of off road they had lots of scraps on the sidewalks and started to chunk lugs on the rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most the time the Copilot is Now Sophie dog the noise maker.

2000 7.3 PS Quigley/RB30 with a 6 window poptop.
Gooseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #7

Thanks for all the thoughts. Think I've narrowed it down to the BFG AT or the Cooper AT3 both E rated versions.

Thoughts on sizing? I'd love to go bigger if possible. I have the 16" factory steel wheels and the 4" Quigly lift. Quigly recmends a 265/75R16 as the biggest without cutting fenders & bumpers. Thoughts/Experiences?
Old 05-06-2013, 11:42 AM   #8

I've got pretty much the same vehicle and I bought it with worn out 315/75-16s. When I replaced them with new Hancook MTs they were too big and I had to shave about 2" off the bottom rear of the front wheel wells. The fender flairs still fit and the surgery doesn't show. Sort of a PITA but I would do the same again.
Old 05-07-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viejo
I've got pretty much the same vehicle and I bought it with worn out 315/75-16s. When I replaced them with new Hancook MTs they were too big and I had to shave about 2" off the bottom rear of the front wheel wells. The fender flairs still fit and the surgery doesn't show. Sort of a PITA but I would do the same again.
I'd like to hear how well those tires wear sometime in the future. I came close to going that route but opted for the Toyo's. I like the Toyo 315's much better than the 285 which were all over the road and hard to handle. But the 315's are not wearing as good as the BFG's I once had. Hankook got great reviews and were priced better. I just didn't know anybody running them on an SMB. Do a write up on them one of these days if you could...thanks.

Dave

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:22 AM   #10

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I'd like to hear how well those tires wear sometime in the future... Do a write up on them one of these days if you could...thanks.
x2 on the request.

i decided against the bfgs after all the failures i saw with other members here. went with the new at2's. Was on the fence between the hankooks and toyos as they were priced the same, but when i finally had the cash in my pocket, there was only 4 hankooks left and i wanted 5 tires. so fate dealt me toyo.

first impressions on the toyos is ok though. not loud at all and look better than other at tires imho. only have 300 or so miles on them so no feedback on wear. my van came with spent firestone destination mt's. so i dont really have much to compare the new tires too.

my van is all over the road as it is. was hoping the tires would help more than they did. so still sorting that issue.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote