Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #1

Nitto Trail Grappler

I searched the forum for Nitto. Saw tons of posts about Terra Grappler, but nothing about Trail Grappler. They appear fairly new. Anyone tried them yet?

I've seen many suggestions that Nitto and Toyo are manufactured by the same company. Can anyone confirm this?

Old 02-14-2010, 09:50 PM   #2

Re: Nitto Trail Grappler

They are, and I've been told by different people that if you sell one you are not supposed to stock or sell the other. People do, but usually you have to request it if your dealer of choice doesn't stock what you want. In my case that made it prohibitively expensive.

I have the Nitto Terra Grappler A/Ts on my F250 and they're awesome. I am always amazed at how well they handle, even in deep snow (over pavement or mud/dirt roads). I was going to sell the Toyo M/Ts on my van for Nitto A/Ts because I like them so much and they're cheaper (I was thinking I could swing 17" rims at the same time), but I like the Toyos a ton as well so I changed my mind.

When I was looking to change, I saw some cooler looking treads in the Nitto but I noticed the wet/snow ratings are significantly lower, and I think the dry rating was too. They might have been Dune Grapplers, but I would definitely check how the Trail Grapplers are rated.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessenej
I searched the forum for Nitto. Saw tons of posts about Terra Grappler, but nothing about Trail Grappler. They appear fairly new. Anyone tried them yet?

I've seen many suggestions that Nitto and Toyo are manufactured by the same company. Can anyone confirm this?

I've got them on my van, 35x12.50x17E, really quiet on the freeway, can't hear them over the 7.3PSD at all in the city.

I wanted something more aggressive than an AT but in a 35 and E rated, this was the only option I could find

Luke
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 PM   #4

Garage

I've run Terra Grapplers on my Range Rover Sport for over four years, and I am very happy with them. I'm considering them for the Sporty.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #5

Thanks. I did end up going with Terra Grapplers.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:37 AM   #6

We had trouble finding tires for our SMB but found a set of the Nitto Trail grapplers and went with those. Settled on ATX teflon "Artillery" 18's with the Nittos in 35x12.5x18. I'l post some pics when I have them.
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomesd
We had trouble finding tires for our SMB but found a set of the Nitto Trail grapplers and went with those. Settled on ATX teflon "Artillery" 18's with the Nittos in 35x12.5x18. I'l post some pics when I have them.

Just curious what led you to choose the 18" rims? I'm going to replace tires/rims within the next 6-12 months and am considering the nitto trail grapplers. But I'm leaning towards 17" rims and this tire is not available in that size with a high enough load capacity. I'm also going with the artillery rims too. They look sharp and have the highest load rating I could find (3600lbs).
Thanks
R
Old 06-16-2010, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomesd

Just curious what led you to choose the 18" rims? I'm going to replace tires/rims within the next 6-12 months and am considering the nitto trail grapplers. But I'm leaning towards 17" rims and this tire is not available in that size with a high enough load capacity. I'm also going with the artillery rims too. They look sharp and have the highest load rating I could find (3600lbs).
Thanks
R
We felt the large van would look better with the larger rim yet still perform decent when deflating with that rim to sidewall ratio. I think the combo will look great- I have yet to see the combo on a SMB- we'll see.
tomesd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:29 AM   #9

I have the terra grapplers on my SMB in 35's. I was thinking of switching over to the toyo MT as I am coming up on replacement time. pics can be found in my gallery.
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:03 AM   #10

Garage

Those Trail Grapplers look good, but alas, just like Goodyear and many other manufacturers, they are more interested in the pimp-your-ride market that real use vehicles. Even though it's all the rage lately to use 17" to 24"(!) wheels, I believe that most trucks in the world still have 16" wheels. Nitto only offers ONE size of the TG's in 16". F'em, I'm going back to BFG's.