Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 06:26 PM   #1

Nitto vs. Toyo

Looking at new tires. I currently have Nitto's. Apples to Apples, the Terra Grappler vs. Open Country A/T, the Toyo is $50 more per tire.

I thought these were essentially the same tire made by the same manufacturer. Does anyone have any experience with both that would lead you to recommend paying the extra $50 per tire to get the Toyo's over the Nitto's?

TwoVans

Old 03-02-2013, 08:57 PM   #2

Nitto vs. Toyo

Off topic, have you checked out Toyo open country Mt?
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:01 PM   #3

Garage
Re: Nitto vs. Toyo

I was linked to this thread viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9615&hilit=nitto when i asked a similar question in this thread viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10509

i love nitto tires. was kinda bummed to read all that as i love the looks of thier off road tires. ill stick with them for my camber impared cars though, lol.

i want the m55 toyos, but just cant afford 5 of those right now. leaning twords the open country at2's (found 5 for about a grand shipped at onlinetires.com). i really want a mud tire cause i love the aggressive looks, but i dont think i really need them. the at2 has the mud lug looks on the sides, but have a at tread pattern.

ive trusted the bfgs for years with my toyota, but this is my first venture with a rig this size and with all the failures ive seen just on this forum, I have to heed to the advice of the gents that have driven this road before me.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #4

My Toyos don't hold the road as well as my Cooper AT3's do in inclement weather. The newly designed Toyo AT2's may be a different story.
bratworst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans
Looking at new tires. I currently have Nitto's. Apples to Apples, the Terra Grappler vs. Open Country A/T, the Toyo is $50 more per tire.

I thought these were essentially the same tire made by the same manufacturer. Does anyone have any experience with both that would lead you to recommend paying the extra $50 per tire to get the Toyo's over the Nitto's?

TwoVans
I've had toyo open country ATs on the van for 3 years. Very happy with them. I have often read that toyo and nittos are made by the same company, but have no independent knowledge of that.

A month ago I decided it was time for new tires and assumed I'd just get another set of toyo open country ATs. It turns out that toyo has introduced a "new" version of that tire, the open country AT2. Unfortunately, the max load rating for the E tires in this new version of the tire are considerably down from the old version. My old tires had a max load rating of 3970 versus 3195 in the new version, same size and both E rated. A email to toyo asking what changed brought an incoherent reply about international tire standards, etc.......that was completely useless.

In checking for alternatives, I noticed that the load rating on the nittos remains the same, about 3750 IIRC for the size I need.

In the end I found a set of the "old" open country ATs. But if I can't get those next time, I will likely go with the nittos.

R
Old 03-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #6

Nitto vs. Toyo

Let me be a little more specific. I have the Nitto A/Ts now. I'm wondering if the Toyo A/Ts are $500 better.

My previous research indicated they were pretty much the same, making the Nittos a relative bargain.
Old 03-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #7

Nitto vs. Toyo

I hadn't noticed the change to the load rating. That might be the definitive "no", not worth the extra $50...

Edit: Just double checked the load rating for my tire size. They are identical.

So, is it reasonable to expect $50 worth of better tread life out of the Toyos (relative to the Nitos)?
Old 03-03-2013, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocsmb
I went round and round on A/T vs M/T during my build. In the end I conceded that as much as I fantasize about driving my van on trails like I drive my Jeep, the reality is I do not.

Also, the van is more likely to see snow than mud. I learned long ago in Minnesota that M/T tires are not the way to go in snow.

So, as much as I love the look of the M/Ts, that just isn't where the van gets used.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:14 AM   #9

Nitto vs. Toyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoVans
Quote:
I went round and round on A/T vs M/T during my build. In the end I conceded that as much as I fantasize about driving my van on trails like I drive my Jeep, the reality is I do not.

Also, the van is more likely to see snow than mud. I learned long ago in Minnesota that M/T tires are not the way to go in snow.

So, as much as I love the look of the M/Ts, that just isn't where the van gets used.
Purely out of vanity I would get the MT. We don't see much snow here in So Cal.
Ocsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:42 AM   #10

Quote:
Purely out of vain I would get the MT. We don't see much snow here in So Cal.
I will not fall for vanity. I will stay focused on practicality. I will not fall for vanity. I will stay focused on practicality. I will not fall for vanity. I will stay focused on practicality...

You know, for my ridiculous van.