Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2018, 10:07 AM   #1

NV271 transfercase failure

So last weekend I got stuck on switch back in Telluride going up to bridal falls (blackbear pass). Stuck as in when I went to make a turn on the last switch back from reverse back into drive blam! No gears couldn't get transmission in reverse or drive awful grinding. 4x4 shifter says it was in 4L and I couldn't budge it. The shifter mechanism even broke under the van. Got winched out of the way spent the night at the top. In the morning Had to reverse down half the trail with no gears and get winched around a few more switch backs. Expensive tow back to Durango. Mechanic dropped TC saying i need a new one. Mine has been installed less than a year when UJ completed coil conversion. Probably engaged 4x4 10 times or less. According to this past thread UJ has seen only one fail http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16958-41.html. Supposedly 2 yr warranty but they are out of the shop til 7/16. The amount of crap that has gone wrong since I p/u the van from them less than a year ago I have had to change its name from Burt to Nightmare. I'm afraid just replacing it another failure might happen that there is another underlying problem. So if anyone has some advice on what i should have them also check out before replacing the TC it would be greatly appreciated and as always thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
20180708_112245.jpg  

keytothestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Whoops pasted wrong thread. Correct one http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...s-10116-2.html
Old 07-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytothestone View Post
So last weekend I got stuck on switch back in Telluride going up to bridal falls (blackbear pass). Stuck as in when I went to make a turn on the last switch back from reverse back into drive blam! No gears couldn't get transmission in reverse or drive awful grinding. 4x4 shifter says it was in 4L and I couldn't budge it. The shifter mechanism even broke under the van. Got winched out of the way spent the night at the top. In the morning Had to reverse down half the trail with no gears and get winched around a few more switch backs. Expensive tow back to Durango. Mechanic dropped TC saying i need a new one. Mine has been installed less than a year when UJ completed coil conversion. Probably engaged 4x4 10 times or less. According to this past thread UJ has seen only one fail http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...-16958-41.html. Supposedly 2 yr warranty but they are out of the shop til 7/16. The amount of crap that has gone wrong since I p/u the van from them less than a year ago I have had to change its name from Burt to Nightmare. I'm afraid just replacing it another failure might happen that there is another underlying problem. So if anyone has some advice on what i should have them also check out before replacing the TC it would be greatly appreciated and as always thanks!
keytothestone,

Yikes, what a nightmare for sure. Very sorry to hear!!
Does the mechanic see anything that would have led to the NV271 failure? Binding in the drivetrain?
In any of those 10 times previous, did you notice any oddities/issues when shifting into 4Hi or 4Lo? VANdiana Jones would be "sticky" at times(or just plain fight me, like the t-case lever was being blocked) when stopped, requiring to drive a short distance forward or reverse in order for 4Hi or 4Lo to actually engage.

What other issues have you faced since picking up the van from UJOR? Have you been able to get them resolved?
I'm really sorry that you're going thru this vs out enjoying your van.

I'm still lusting to get back to CO--gorgeous state!
2010 E350 RB V10 Cargo "unicorn" (SOLD)
2007 E350 4x4 "VANdiana Jones"(SOLD)
mk216v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:32 PM   #4

Mk216v. The shift seemed OK nothing out of the ordinary maybe a little tuff getting into Low. They didn't notice any binding. Mechanic wants to know if I want to upgrade to an Atlas doesn't seem necessary from what I have read the NV should handle it? I have had a few little prolems but the big ones are having the transmission dropped twice since it was p/u last August. 1st one UJ covered the $. Second time when I had it totally rebuilt they did not. When they did the original conversion the trans was rebuilt, beefed up & I was charged accordingly. To have to do it again in less than 10k miles was really frustrating. Rear springs have been another issue been through 2 sets in less than a year had to add 2 more leafs out of my pocket to the replacements cause I was still ass dragging. Then just 2 weeks ago got some DW coming down the pass. Haven't felt it since but had the frontend looked and my mechanics assessment wasn't good. So in line for the steering upgrade for the coil conversion. UJ is on vacation till 7/16 so I guess I'm looking at about 3 weeks to get this Tcase resolved if I want to go by the UJ warranty on it. They have been pretty cool with help but now I have real trust issues with the van. Reliability doesn't seem to be it's strong suit. This is my only vehicle and acts as my home when I'm state side or in Baja so at least my couch surfing skills have really improved over the last year.
Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

Quote:
Mk216v. The shift seemed OK nothing out of the ordinary maybe a little tuff getting into Low. They didn't notice any binding. Mechanic wants to know if I want to upgrade to an Atlas doesn't seem necessary from what I have read the NV should handle it? I have had a few little prolems but the big ones are having the transmission dropped twice since it was p/u last August. 1st one UJ covered the $. Second time when I had it totally rebuilt they did not. When they did the original conversion the trans was rebuilt, beefed up & I was charged accordingly. To have to do it again in less than 10k miles was really frustrating. Rear springs have been another issue been through 2 sets in less than a year had to add 2 more leafs out of my pocket to the replacements cause I was still ass dragging. Then just 2 weeks ago got some DW coming down the pass. Haven't felt it since but had the frontend looked and my mechanics assessment wasn't good. So in line for the steering upgrade for the coil conversion. UJ is on vacation till 7/16 so I guess I'm looking at about 3 weeks to get this Tcase resolved if I want to go by the UJ warranty on it. They have been pretty cool with help but now I have real trust issues with the van. Reliability doesn't seem to be it's strong suit. This is my only vehicle and acts as my home when I'm state side or in Baja so at least my couch surfing skills have really improved over the last year.
Ok, so sounds like I experienced at times too(Hi or Lo).

I haven't seen any issues with the NV271's(SMB, ExPO, etc forums, friends with vans, etc), so I don't see any reason to upgrade to an Atlas t-case at this time.

2 tranny rebuilds in 10k? What year, engine, mileage do you have?(I noticed you have the '08+ front end, but maybe they updated it from the old front end?)

Do you have Atlas(not to be confused with the t-case company) rear springs, or the new Deaver's? You carrying gold bricks in the cargo area? What does your van weigh?

DW one time coming down the pass--under braking? Did you have your steering box replaced at the time of 4x4 conversion? All new front rotors/calipers/pads/etc too?
What was the mechanic's assessment--worn parts?

Again, sorry to hear you're having to go thru this with your home.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:38 PM   #6

2014 5.4 v8 bought at 50k miles from ford dealer in NC. Even has ford factory used precert warranty. The orginals springs started to sag bad after adding CCV top. Got another set sent out last Nov. all it had was CCV top and insulation and came in at #8250. I told UJ that I was adding full interior but very minimal kinda like a transformer in Feb so Atlas could compensate for added weight. Just got back from a 6 week road trip AK-CO. Two mtn bikes 7 surfboards 2 snowboards and rest of gear came in at #9180 when anchorage that's fully loaded. Haven't weighed it since dumping stuff off in storage. Added 2 springs per side when I was passing through Calgary by a spring manufacturer Standens. I would have to get my invoice from the van about the front end from the mechanic. My tracbar you can flap around and drag line they didn't like??? I would also have to see my invoice from UJ about brakes etc. Whichbis also in the van.If you go to UJ youtube my van is the one they are showing on how to install their coil conversion
Old 07-11-2018, 04:34 PM   #7

Quote:
2014 5.4 v8 bought at 50k miles from ford dealer in NC. Even has ford factory used precert warranty. The orginals springs started to sag bad after adding CCV top. Got another set sent out last Nov. all it had was CCV top and insulation and came in at #8250. I told UJ that I was adding full interior but very minimal kinda like a transformer in Feb so Atlas could compensate for added weight. Just got back from a 6 week road trip AK-CO. Two mtn bikes 7 surfboards 2 snowboards and rest of gear came in at #9180 when anchorage that's fully loaded. Haven't weighed it since dumping stuff off in storage. Added 2 springs per side when I was passing through Calgary by a spring manufacturer Standens. I would have to get my invoice from the van about the front end from the mechanic. My tracbar you can flap around and drag line they didn't like??? I would also have to see my invoice from UJ about brakes etc. Whichbis also in the van.If you go to UJ youtube my van is the one they are showing on how to install their coil conversion
Ah, 5.4L, got it.
Whoa, 9180lbs is up there!

Interested to hear what the mechanics found.

You could talk to these guys about any NV271 issues they might have seen; https://torqueking.com/category/1999...transfer-case/
They say they have brand new (not rebuilt) assemblies from Ford.

Side note; how are you liking the CCV top?
Old 07-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #8

Love the CCV top. Nightmare is surprisingly heavy I only have one cabinet a 60pd. fridge 10 gall water no propane, sink 4 batts, simple flip couch. All other storage is soft side. Mechanic- drained fluid from tc is full of metal. disassembled the TC found planet gear housing gear has spun &pulled free from the case causing shift fork to dislodge from detent.
Old 07-11-2018, 05:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Love the CCV top. Nightmare is surprisingly heavy I only have one cabinet a 60pd. fridge 10 gall water no propane, sink 4 batts, simple flip couch. All other storage is soft side. Mechanic- drained fluid from tc is full of metal. disassembled the TC found planet gear housing gear has spun &pulled free from the case causing shift fork to dislodge from detent.
Whoa, very interesting on the 9180lbs then. I have NO idea why your van is SO heavy then. Seriously, no gold bricks?

Eeeek on the t-case!
Call Roy at Torque King (they're in Montana) and see if he can help you get back on the road sooner than later.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #10
Site Team

Makes me wonder if the t/c failures and the transmission issues are related? Problems with one causing the other to get overworked and subsequently fail.

Herb