Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
BC

One More Tire Thread -- Toyo M/T Specific

Sorry for yet another tire thread but getting ready to purchase set #2 and its such an important consideration on the SMB....

Running the original BFG A/T's that came on the rig (285/75R 16's). About 30k miles on them but showing some wear. I know they have a lot more miles left but will probably replace in a few thousand as I am a stickler for safety, reliability, and peace of mind (esp off road).

Looking and reading up on the Toyo MT's as well as all previous posts. Like what I see. Know some of your here have them and have used them (Buji, MyriadMyriad, Alta825, others). With bikes, kids, and gear I routinely roll at 10,000lbs+ (exceeding the 'official' load capacity which is about enough for one kid, a dog, and a sleeping bag )

I cant argue with the BFG's as good all-round rubber but have seen them on other rigs with sidewall damage, bulges, etc. Dont want to ever see that on mine.

Q for those with Toyo's, or who replaced the BFG's with Toyo's: Pros and Cons? I like the E rating on the Toyo, and the aggressive tread pattern, but what about highway, rain, and increased noise? I do a fair amount of highway, forest road, medium to semi-hard core offroad. It is rare that I need killler Moab-style rock crawl capability, but when I am in the serious stuff I want the best, strongest I can get without sacrificing all round performance. Thoughts?

BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:53 PM   #2

Toyo/MT

Well I'am a big fan of Toyo/MTs.. Robby Gordon ran Baja 1000 with them, with no failures. Unlike BFGs which run special racing tires. They are easy to balance and are round.I run 295/70/17 rated at 4000lbs.They are a high quality tire..

Good in the rain and great on rocks. I don't know about wear (
I always get new tires way before they wear out)

Jeff
Old 03-21-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
BC

heh, right...me too on replacement, before useful life has ended.
Baja race proven. Lot said there. I'm sold on sidewall strength and E rating for the van, have come to realize just how critical the rubber is on these rigs.

Here's another perfect description of the Toyo MT---what I need--from one of the reviews at offroaders.com, which is an excellent resource for comparing AT/Off road tires btw.

"...will survive the toughest backcountry challenges and perform well...
for those who need a comfortable, quiet, well mannered daily driven Mud Terrain tire that works as a weekend warrior on moderate to tough terrain, tackling serious trails. "
Old 03-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to surfgeek33
Hi Jeff,

My wife and I are deciding on our rig's tires. We are definitely going for Toyo tires, M/T's or A/T's. My question is the ROAD NOISE for the M/T's. I will probably be driving our rig a couple of times a week to work. We have an EB350 V-10 on order. Thanks. [/b]

"I do, cellularSTEVE" :o)
surfgeek33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #5
BC

I've seen lots of comments on the Toyo's being surprisingly quiet, better than expected for the aggressive tire that it is. There also seems to be some mixed reactions as to their capability in snow. Hoping alta235 weighs in here as I know he has them and has recently been testing in the wasatch range....
Old 03-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #6

I thought I would make this my first post/reply -- as many of you can figure out I am the new owner of the "Scott" Transformer and I would like to thank alta828 for the post in classified -- The SMB is running great with the new 6.0
I have spent the last two month fixing things and upgrading things - one of them being new wheels and tires -- I swaped the Cooper Discoverer 285/75/16 for a new set of AR Mojave 17" with 35" Toyo MT's -- The ride streets with the larger tires is much better than the the smaller Cooper's --I have a set of BFG MT on my Superduty and the Toyo's highway noise is half of what the BFG's are -- I can definatley hear the 6.0 diesel over the tires. I also just got back today from a 25 mile run on the Pinkham Canyon Trail in Joshua Tree NP and aired down to 25psi -- The tires did great -- went through soft sand , rocks , washboard hills with out any problems -- My wife even commented on how nice the ride was. I have not had them in the snow yet

And the most important info -- they look way better than the Cooper's

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
BC

Steve, nice lookin transformer for sure, love the black, thanks for the real-time feedback on the tires.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:25 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
The Cooper Discoverer is a whole line of tires..... which did you have?
AT? ST? STT?
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #9

They were the Discoverer S/T -- I did not have a problem with them -- The Highway noise was comparible to the Toyo's
I swapped for a couple of reasons. I wanted to go with a bigger tire for a better ride and a 17" wheel for a future brake upgrade. I also thought the 285's looked to small for the SMB 4x4 height. I also wanted to go with a "E" rated tire and the Cooper's were a "D" rated tire. What I found is that there are not that many E rated tires in 35". So I decided to max my credit cards and go with the Toyo's and at this point couldn't be happier.

Steve
outopawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:02 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to Greg In Austin Send a message via Yahoo to Greg In Austin
We went with the Cooper Discverer STTs for the very reasons you outlined, and because of the great wear and use we got from 4 sets of Cooper Discoverer AT and ST over 300k miles on our Nissan 4WD.

The STTs are E rated and look pretty good on McBeast. They are much more aggressive than our STs.

I can tell you that the new brakes look HUGE. I am not worried about being able to stop. (I will grab some pics this week when I stop by SMB TX)
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (15 to 18 mpg) [Johnnie]
2012 Mitsubishi MiEV (no gas required) ($.50/day in electricity) [Evie]
https://badge.facebook.com/badge/1232...3.32047100.png
Greg In Austin is offline   Reply With Quote