Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 10:38 AM   #1

Opinions on Salem Kroger 4x4

Hi All,
This is my first post on the forum and I was hoping to get some thoughts about the Salem Kroger 4x4 conversions. Does anyone have one? Positives and negatives? Are they reliable or have problems? Any info members could provide would be helpful.
My wife and I have been looking for a 4x4 Sportmobile for about a year and have come across one with the Salem Kroger 4x4. I am not a mechanical guy and can do little more then change the oil, so the reliability of the van is very important to us. The one we are looking at is a Sportmobile set up, and is the E350, a 2004 gas 5.4 V8 with about 90k miles.
Hopefully we can find something we like and this may be the one, so any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Dave

Dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:31 AM   #2

You can do better. They use short leaf springs which results in a rough ride, and they like to undersize their axles. Good chance it only has a Dana 44 under there. Some owners even ended up with Kin-pin axles, which must have been remanufactured off something way older, since ball joints have been standard since the 90s. And because of the smaller axles, they don't get the newer/bigger brakes that come on the Dana 60.

They also have done some coil-spring builds I think, but I haven't spoken with any of the owners of those, and I don't know which axle they use for that setup.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:07 PM   #3

Thanks for that info. the description of the conversion was "Solid Dana Super 60 axle, Custom Suspension Package, Heavy Duty Rear Leaf Springs for Heavy Loads..."
That means it does have the lager axle then you thought, correct? if so, does that change your opinion or does it just mean it`s a little better then you thought?
Again thanks, your thoughts are really helping me on something I'm not all that familiar with.
Dhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 02:19 PM   #4

Dana Super 60 would be huge improvement over their standard leaf conversion. But I still have no idea how it drives. Never met anyone with that setup.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

I agree with carringb, but as to the reliability, that set up should cause no concern.. The only issue is tracking down parts, as it can be difficult to track down which brake rotors you need, or what shocks, etc.
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #6

Don't write off a Salem-Kroger conversion just yet, depends on the year.

In 2004 Salem-Kroger started using Factory F350 axles and coil springs. They used adapters on the rear to use F350 SuperDuty wheels all around. I was quite happy with the conversion they did on my 2004 SMB.

Mike
2012 E250 Hitop camper
Ford_6L_E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 10:28 PM   #7

I had a 1999 E350 Powerstroke that I purchased new. My original conversion was done by Advanced 4x4. I had nothing but trouble with that conversion. I took it to Salem Kroger and had the front axle replaced. After that I had no problems and would still be driving my van had my trailer not jack knifed and sent me into a concrete wall at 50 MPH. If you need help Craig at Whitefeather conversions is always willing to answer any questions.
BMWBILO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
I agree with carringb, but as to the reliability, that set up should cause no concern.. The only issue is tracking down parts, as it can be difficult to track down which brake rotors you need, or what shocks, etc.
Not if Ramsey is around.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 10:06 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBILO View Post
I had a 1999 E350 Powerstroke that I purchased new. My original conversion was done by Advanced 4x4. I had nothing but trouble with that conversion. .
Could you share what type of troubles you had? I've got an Advanced conversion with a Dana 44, and despite some questionable workmanship in places, it's been trouble free after some pretty hard use. Thanks............
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:49 AM   #10

My 97 e350 with Salem Kroger conversion has been reliable.
It has the short leaf springs with a 2000 f350 superduty Dana 60. And the only down side is it rides a bit stiff with some wandering on the highway. Appears to be that way due to the design.
It sounds like the conversion you are looking at could have a number of different parts on it.
See if you can determine what is has for conversion parts.

If the van is decently priced and in good shape, I wouldn't let the conversion scare me away. I'm glad I got mine.
BUFFALO is offline   Reply With Quote