Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2020, 06:35 AM   #11
JWA

Send a message via Yahoo to JWA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Between COVID-19, our current heat wave, school not being back in session yet & my current lack of funds due to several large purchases for the van, it's STUCK!!! Wedged tightly, right between my truck and the front porch of our house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikerson View Post
Glen you win for worst stuck!
Seriously though, it’s fun seeing everyone’s pics!
I gotta agree with that ^^^. That has to be frustrating!

JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Garage
I've always been able to get myself out but there is a huge advantage driving with other vehicles. CellularSteve got stuck in Last Chance Canyon. His front axle didn't want to engage. I pulled him out and while turning around his spotter ran him up on a rock. We had to use his hi-lift to stack rocks and what not to clear the rock. Took a bit but we finally got him out. On the way out we found a guy in a pickup in over his head.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC03141.jpg   DSC03150.jpg   DSC03155.jpg   DSC03159.jpg  

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:24 PM   #13
Orv

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyankees588 View Post
2003 E250, bone stock 2wd with open rear diff. ~8,000lbs loaded. 265/75/r16 general grabber AT2s.

I have had my mind blown as to how many places I've been able to get without getting stuck without even so much as a LSD in the rear. Snow seems to be the most consistent limitation, however.

I used to drive a 1990 E-150 in Houghton, MI. On all-season radials, no less. It could get dicey.

The "poor man's traction control" trick works pretty well on snow and ice, with open-diff vans. Slowly apply the e-brake until you start to get traction. This works by braking both rear wheels, loading them so the one with the worst traction doesn't spin uncontrollably. (Obviously a short distance, low-speed only kind of thing.)

I also found grip was much worse in reverse, so if I saw a parking space that sloped inward I tried to back into it.

Gravel and stamp sand were similar -- did surprisingly well going forward, but in reverse it would dig in and develop wheel hop.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:42 AM   #14

Ironically just outside of White cloud Michigan we were running some back roads my buddies 2 wheel drive work van got stuck in the sand and I stopped in the middle of the whoops not realizing how soft it would be even with the locker all I did was dig to China.

3 foot pull with a winch and I was back out again we got him recovered toClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_100303191_HDR.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	35240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_100316314.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	35241Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_101746674.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	101.6 KB
ID:	35242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200725_101111284_HDR.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	35243
Wanderer-RRORC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 01:06 PM   #15

This was a fun one... this was after driving through this section to help someone who was stuck around the bend. Then when backing up through this part, broke through the crust of the surface into a muddy mixture like cement. Turned out this was the lowest part of a small bowl and water was flowing just under the surface. Weight of vehicle was too much and in it went. The lack of anything solid underneath with lots of big solid tree roots made for a nice trap. Couldn't go forward as there were trees directly ahead. Route I had taken turned left tightly. Luckily someone had a winch and was able to pull me backwards and out of the trap.

Old 08-22-2020, 01:38 PM   #16

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
rallypanam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:27 PM   #17
Site Team

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rallypanam View Post
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">
Robb is that you pulling yourself out?

Seems I forget to shoot video or pics for that matter when I'm stuck... probably cause I'm freaking out. When I running the Mojave Trail with Dunbar I got stuck and we winched the van out. Hit another section and got stuck again. Had to back down the trail and start again. Before I made the second run I had thought how many other trail I had done that were much worse. Oops, along the route, the rear axle had slipped into neutral. As I drove past Don he asked what the hell I did and I told him I decided to try it in four wheel drive

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:50 PM   #18

A buddy and I took the SMB down to Baja for its maiden voyage. We wound up down at a beach north of Laguna Manuella in the late afternoon after poking around for a nice spot to make camp for the night. We got to where the bluff road made its way down to the beach and decided to head up the beach a bit.

I've got a Jeep CJ-7 we've been all over the peninsula with and it handles the beach fine at 35 psi, so that's what I dropped the tire pressure down to in the van. Worked fine to take the bump out of the washboard, but as I made my way down the beach I started to bog down. We were still making slow forward progress, but what I didn't realize until it was too late, was that for every six inches forward we were digging down an inch towards China...

When forward and virtical progress reached an equilibrium, we were burried up to the frame on the beach.

We were above the high tide line, but I wanted to be out of that hole before I went to bed, so I started digging out the frame while my buddy pulled the spare tire and rolled it down the beach to burry as an anchor.

Several hours later, with the weight of the vehicle back on the tires, tire pressure down to 10 psi, 4-low and the winch attached to the spare burried 20 yards down the beach; we slowly creeped out of that hole.

Long day, but I slept like a log way up the beach on a little rise. Safe from even the hightest tide.

Too busy to document the stuck, but got some photos after we were out:
Attached Thumbnails
SMB Stuck 1 (2).jpg   SMB Stuck 2.jpg   SMB Stuck 3.jpg   SMB Stuck B.jpg  
DosMars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 09:50 PM   #19
KDB

Pre rear locker. Doh!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20190411_160903884.jpg  
KDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 04:20 AM   #20

We were on a paleo dig in Sonora ���� when we got stuck in deep, loose sand. The 4WD wouldn’t engage and we dug in deep as a result. We later found out that a young mechanic didn’t replace/reattach a spring when he installed the new tires we bought shortly before our trip. �� We had gear and enough people/vehicles in our group to self rescue, but the Policia Estado flew over in a helicopter and spotted us and sent all these guys to check on us. Everyone relaxed (including me!!) when I started speaking to them in fluent Spanish. The Policia Estado, Federales and Mexican Army pulled us out in just seconds with their Unimog & our tow rope. They were super nice. I was able to cross the border but eventually had it towed (via AAA) from El Centro to Carlsbad. The catalytic converter also died on that trip. We have sand ladders now (which probably wouldn’t have helped that time) and getting out of loose sand is a breeze.
ryanweaselsmom is offline   Reply With Quote