Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2021, 09:18 AM   #21

7-6-2021 Wheels are ordered and paid for, they are strapping them on a pallet to ship out via truck freight. Hoping they will be here by the end of the week but who knows. Another $2,000 dollars gone in the blink of an eye.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #22

Scrapiron I'm curious why do you want the dually front axle in the first place?
Conversion in process. Lol
Denver, CO
Lilnuts2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 07:53 PM   #23

No particular reason other than my truck being a dually and weighing nearly 5.5 tons with absolutely nothing in it. I have seen RV's other people have done where they utilized a standard front axle and regular wheels on the front and i just dont like the way it looks or the fact i would need to carry two spare tires or risk being stranded with no spare.
Old 07-06-2021, 08:11 PM   #24

You asked: Have you ever installed a 2005+ dually axle under the front of any van?

Wow, My intentions were friendly as stated in the first few lines.
Not a 2005 but yes, I have installed many axles in conversions...far before you may have had any thought of doing this project! With many more fully fabricated (non kits) conversions the present van a 2002, using a 1999 dually front leaf sprung 60. I built it to run a 4 link long arm system with 4.30 ratio. It had an 8 on 170mm pattern. Since I was not going with the dually factory hub adapters, I tossed them and had 1.75" wheel spacers with 8 on 6.5 made. I ran the factory steelies for 6 months with no problem on calipers due to spacers. The spacers were made hub centric to match the adapters. I found the wheel I wanted and three sets of different wheels later. I switched several times bored with same look. I have had no issues and I like the 3.5 inch total overall wider front stance. So yeah not my first rodeo.
I don't understand your point to mock me or discredit me and twist my words around about the wheel design vs load carrying when you knew exactly what I meant. Even Semi's today have hub centric wheels which carry the load since late 90's doing away with the old Bud style wheels.
You mention not wanting to spend boo-cue bucks on dually wheels but from the looks of it you have spent that on making hubs! Scratching my head?
My post was:
I merely tried to help you stay on point! With the Lice or truth distortion to Home Depot regarding your intended use, and the unexperienced weight of the axle. My point here was again for positive information to readers, that may not lean away from renting a totally reasonably priced van from H/D. H.D. does not care what your intentions are in renting their van, so you could have avoided a trip to the confessional.
That is correct on axle tube thickness. Most but not all early front axles have 1/2" or more on front, early 3/4 ton D 44's included and thicker for front Super 60 and Super 70 fronts. The early 44's are very favorable compared to Wrangler D 44 bone yard swaps. You have mentioned it several times so I am surprised that your surprised how heavy the axle is.

In the end you bought wheels anyway! You could have ordered duallies in a 17", 18" or even a 19.5" with 8 on 170mm and spent time on the back roads instead of in the garage. I'm sure each hubs cost as much as each wheel. Thanks for the post. I truly wish your wheels come in soon in whatever size you ordered. Good luck with the project and enjoy the back roads. Stay well.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 09:17 PM   #25

Here you go again, i asked you a very specific question. "Have you ever installed a 2005+ dually axle underneath anything"?

#1 Sixteen inch wheels will not clear the brake calipers on a 2005+ axle.

#2 Since the vans came with sixteen inch wheels that means i have to buy new wheels
to clear the brake calipers on the front axle no matter what lug pattern it has. Six
of one, half dozen of another... it doesnt matter if i used a 170mm front axle or a
200mm front axle neither match the rear 8x6.5 axle, leaving me buying wheels
either way. Lug pattern becomes a coin toss because i would have to have adapters
built either way or carry two spare tires. Youre attempting to make a moot point
and that is exactly why i asked you if you had ever installed a 2005 or newer front
axle. If you had you would already know that your making a moot point.

#3 You dont state im being humorous and then proceed to imply that someone is a
complete imbecile by asserting they dont know or understand the obvious.

#4 You are not going to buy any dually wheel in 17 inch or larger for a ford van dually chassis with 170mm or even a 200mm lug pattern. THEY DONT EXIST. The wheels on the market are for ford dually pickup trucks not vans. Had you actually read my post you would also already understand that the ford pickup wheels have the incorrect backspacing to fit on the rear axle of a ford dually van chassis even if the lug pattern was the same, they will hit the leaf springs before they seat on the bearing hub.

You may not mind having different wheels on your van, however i prefer mine to match front and rear.

#5 I dont consider investing $2000 for a complete set of NEW take offs for a 2021 Dodge Ram dually wheels with tires to be "Bue-Cue" bucks as you stated.
What i do consider "Bue-Cue" bucks, is $3000 -$ 4000 dollars just for a set of 4 aftermarket dually wheels. That sir is exactly why i purchased an entire set of 2021 Dodge wheels and tires for just under $2000.

#6 Please stop cluttering the post with your remarks. You clearly have no idea what is involved in converting a dually van chassis to 4x4 utilizing the 05+ axles, which makes your comments nothing more than uneducated speculation and clutter. Maybe you just like to add your two cents even when you have no idea what youre talking about? Please take your bruised ego into someone elses post, im not interested in hearing about how smart you think you are.
Old 07-06-2021, 09:21 PM   #26

After going back and rereading the entire post your assumption of my words is on you as they were never intended as such manner. I clearly stand with my point of post being all over the road and I am sure there are a few that had to go back and reread. Hence my point in being specific. I for one have done this and I was lost. Many here have not done this but are willing to do it if they can get undiluted instruction The next crossroad may be your ABS lines male vs male if it is anything like the 99 axle. I applaud you for sharing just a little less drama and stop being so angry, this is a site for all to learn. Also me cluttering up!? I'm not writing chapters on a simple subject. Have a good day.
Moderator please remove all my post.
Vanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 10:09 PM   #27

This post is about my journey and my experiences in completing this task. With that said not every word is going to be of a technical nature. You dont have to like it and you dont have to comment, im not here for a grammar lesson. If you have reading comprehension issues then maybe you should focus your attention on what youre reading instead of thinking about what your next remark is going to be.

Had you ever actually installed a 2005+ dually axle underneath anything my post would have made perfect sense to you because you would already understand that the dually axle uses 8x200mm adapters but the unit bearings use 170mm lug pattern. I didnt create this post to educate you on 05+ axles and the differences between the earlier models.

With that said, i digress, i believe its your mind thats all over the road, not my post.
Old 07-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #28

Wheels, tires, center caps all strapped on pallets waiting to be picked up by the freight company.

If anyone needs new center caps for their 2019+ Dodge Ram Dually hit me up. I will also most likely be selling the tires because all i want are the wheels.
The tires are 235/80-17 E load rated, NEXIAN ROADIAN HTX is the brand, these are new takeoffs, stock Dodge ram dually pickup tires.
Attached Thumbnails
3706b50b-58b8-4bd3-b44b-f2e938b9eee9.jpg   d384d732-93ec-4a8e-bca4-fa54a0d612e8.jpg   036734b9-3ea0-494e-942a-0d468ccae301.jpg  
Old 07-09-2021, 06:55 AM   #29

Well i should have known better. This is Central Transport Trucking for those of you that ever need to have something shipped via freight.

These wheels arrived in St Louis, Missouri on the 7th at 11Pm. They are currently still sitting there as of today. Yesterday they showed arriving Friday, (which is today) in Omaha, Nebraska.

I made plans in advance to rent a Uhaul to pick them up in Omaha since Central Transport does not do residential drops and they do not have a dock in the city i live in (despite being told they did have at point of sale). Now this morning the pallet is still sitting in St Louis and havent moved for two business days and dont show arriving in Omaha until next week on the 12th.

Now i have to call Uhaul in 15 minutes when they open and cancel the trailer i reserved for today. Thats 5 days to go 600 miles, thats if they even show up on next Monday. St Louis is 432 miles from Omaha, Ne, thats a 6 hour drive maximum.
Attached Thumbnails
yesterday.jpg   today.jpg  
Old 07-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #30

Made a couple of ABS sensor adapters so i dont have to butcher the ABS sensor's or the trucks wiring harness.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01738.jpg