Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2021, 09:21 PM   #41

Well the machine shop screwed up the dually adapters. I spent 20 minutes explaining to the man that the wheels are hubcentric and that the shoulder on the dually adapters must fit snug in the center bore of the wheel. I took him both adapters and one of the wheels.

They called me Monday stating they were ready, i drive out to pick them up, test fit one of the adapters into the wheel and the clown cut way to much material off of the adpaters. Now the should of the adapters are a good 1/8th of an inch smaller then the center bore of the wheel.

That said the adapters are still there, i came back home, pulled another wheel off of a different truck as well as the matching adapter for that wheel and took them out to him so they can measure how snug to make the adapters.

The place is beyond rediculous. Being an average joe i shouldnt have to draw this goof a picture with crayons, after all they claim to be machinists.. Now they have to machine the adpaters more and build sleeves to press onto the adapters to correct their mistake.

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #42

Got all of the old suspension removed from the truck. Cut the cross member to approximated dimension. I just used a four inch dewalt grinder and cut off wheels. I was surprised at how easily that metal cut using a grinder.

Then i began installing the Timberline stuff. First issue was a heat shield on the drivers side which is bolted to the frame. That bolt had to be removed and the shield pulled out of the way so the 4 link bracket would slide into position. (now i have to figure out how i will reattach the shield).

Once the 4 link brackets were both installed i found that the 4 link arms would not fit into the brackets. The instructions say to use a pry bar and a BFH which i didnt wish to do. I purchased a length of ready rod and some nuts, washers and used those to spread the bracket. Once the upper arms were in place i was able to remove the ready rod and the lower arms went right in. The 1/2" inch ready rod was $19.99, that said i may take it back tomorrow and get my money back, im not opposed to a business making a profit but thats highway robbery.

Once i rolled the axle in place i found that none of the holes in the axle end of the 4 link arms were drilled large enough for the bolts that attach them to the axle, so i had to use a dremel tool to open them up just a touch.

I now have the axle under the truck and the new ford coil springs installed. I dont want to tighten any bolts until im able to sit the truck down on the ground. I also dont want to install the trac bar until the weight of the truck is on the ground, so im in a holding pattern now.

Temps are currently in the mid 90's but are supposed to reach 107 degrees for the next few days. Im hoping to have the dually adapters back tomorrow so i can install them and put the wheels/tires on it and sit it down on the ground again.

It doesnt appear that my existing fox shocks are going to be long enough so i will also have to do some measuring once its on the ground.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01792.jpg   DSC01769.jpg   DSC01772.jpg   DSC01787.jpg  

Old 07-22-2021, 01:03 PM   #43

Finally got the dually adapters back and installed for a test fit. Here it is with the Dodge wheels mounted and the axle all bolted in place.
Slightly more lift than i was expecting but the springs will settle in a couple of months im sure.

The 2005 dually axle is absolutely perfect width for the Van chassis right out of the box. Tires are still within the fender lip, now i just have to hook up the tracbar, the steering link, and get rid of those gawd awful blackwall tires.

I still have to hookup the tracbar, draglink, and brake lines, but all the heavy work is finished.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01806.jpg   DSC01809.jpg