Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2021, 05:55 PM   #61

Garage
Glad things are getting worked out ScrapIron. Front suspension looks great.

marret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:05 PM   #62

Got the heavy duty hellwig swaybar installed. Much heavier than the factory unit i removed. I had one of these on it a few years back when it was still I-beam suspension and found it was far to stiff so i removed it and got rid of it.

But it feels just about right with the 4x4 axle under the truck at this point.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01969.jpg  

ScrapIron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #63

I also installed another remanufactured steeering box on it. Is anyone running an F series drop pitman arm on the E series van?
Old 10-13-2021, 06:06 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrapIron View Post
Got the heavy duty hellwig swaybar installed. Much heavier than the factory unit i removed. I had one of these on it a few years back when it was still I-beam suspension and found it was far to stiff so i removed it and got rid of it.

But it feels just about right with the 4x4 axle under the truck at this point.
Helwig shows the following Front and Rear respectively.
92-08 E250-E350 Single Wheel 7604 1-1/8" 7183 1-1/4"

I bought the Addco bars
Part Number: K1-548-0U-352 1 1/4" Front
Part Number: K1-697-0U-350 1 1/8" rear

These compare to the stock bar which I think is only 13/16" IIRC

I'm looking to optimize highway driving and stability not off-road. I've used Addco bars in the past had they have always been plenty without being too much (1969 Datsun 2000 and a 1984 VW Westfalia). On the VW the front was exceptionally good while the rear seems to do little with the front one.

What size bars are you using and do you think they are too much for highway use on a E-350 RB 2WD?
posplayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2021, 06:31 PM   #65

The 92-08 bars are different than what i ordered. Mine has a dana 60 4x4 axle underneath the front. That said i needed the eyes on the end of the swaybar to be vertical for my setup versus horizontal like the ones you listed.

I can only share my own personal experience with the hellwig bar on my rig when it was still two wheel drive with I-beams. It was far to stiff for my liking even just on the hiways and streets around town. That swaybar was the larger 1-1/4th diameter.
I went to the salvage yard and yanked a factory bar off of an E-450 and used it instead.

Only you know what your preference is in ride quality, to me it was to stiff and my truck is heavier than a normal E series van. I will say it definately made the truck far more stable in curves and eliminated alot of the lean you get with an RV. But then again, now it has a 4x4 axle underneath it and the same diameter swaybar seems to be just right with the added lift.