Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #1

Power steering weak

When stopped on dirt or pavement I can't turn my front wheels unless I am moving. When moving the steering feels normal. I am curious as to whether this is normal for the beast or do I have a power steering problem. I have owned the truck for 18 months so I don't know how it felt when new.

I have a 2006 SMB E-350 RB with Sportsmobile suspension. The steering gear is all stock E-350. Tires are 35" Toyo MT on 17" rims. Deaver springs and Dynatrack big brake (F-550) conversion are installed.

cmyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:02 AM   #2

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
Re: Power steering weak

It is a FORD - it is normal.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:42 AM   #3

Re: Power steering weak

I have the same problem
I changed the pump and flush the system....does not help
To change the steering gear box would be my next step but it is to much money for a try so in the moment i live with it
What is a bit strange is that it changed a bit to the better side after changing tires from 285/75-17 to 37" on the same wheels.
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #4

Found this topic that kind of matches my concern. Seems like my steering wheel has gotten harder to turn over the last year or so. I am getting older, but still. Quite a bit harder in cold weather, but that doesn't surprise me that much. I had the Ford dealer look it over, but they thought it was OK. It's not like there isn't power steering at all, but still seems tougher than it should be. I read some things on a Ford forum that suggested putting oil on the steering column u joints. Might try that tomorrow. Any other thoughts. It's 2008 Quigley with 130,000 miles. Did ball joints around 70,000 miles I think.
Steve_382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 11:33 PM   #5

My van (Ford) acts like it has no power steering for the first few turns wriggling out of my tight garage from a cold start, but then it's fine after that.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:09 PM   #6

Interesting, I have never noticed that on my 2001 Advanced conversion, but it may be the same I don't know. I replaced the steering box a couple years ago for different reasons, but there was no difference in the zero speed steering effort needed. The only time I was unable to turn the wheels while parked was when I was camped at very low temps and the pump was frozen. Some boiling water fixed that problem.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:17 PM   #7

I did a youtube search on this 6mos ago, there is a good video on 'hard steering' for an F350.

The guy said he was on his second pump and second steering bix (if I remember right) He shows the correct way to diagnose hard steering using oil plates and a fish scale, it turns out Ford has a spec for resistance in lbs.

The Dana 60 ball joints are a common service item that freeze up/get rough prior to eating themselves alive and getting loose/rattley. After replacing mine, which weren't very loose, (only one was questionable, but I was upgrading to a high-steer arm which require replacing the BJ's anyhow) my steering is now noticeably easier while parking, the power steering pump isn't laboring as much, either. I atribute that to new Moog greaseable balljoints.