Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 11:44 PM   #11

I had a van converted by John at Quadvan in 2015. I live in germany and all our Communication was by phone or Email.

As this worked ok (and his work was very good) I See no point why this should Not be possible for you US guys.

'10 Lada Niva
'04 Nissan 350Z
'67 Alfa Romeo Giulia
chetubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:28 AM   #12
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
I had a similar experience with John at Quadvan...had a fantastic 1/2 hour discussion and answered questions and I felt we connected...then I couldn't get him to call back etc..that is until Nancy at NorthSMB contacted him and told him I had put a deposit down...then a great back and forth with John about my 4x4 package (gears, tires+rims, shocks +extra up front, bags, winch, etc...until my van was finished and back in Jim and Nancy's hands. John sent me pictures a few times during the build too. A fantastic man I felt helped me and treated me most fair...I think like most small businesses, it i s hard to answer all calls that aren't 'guaranteed' work or money in their pocket...I mean you know some of those folks that ask so many questions relevant or not, are very particular, and can't make a decision or 'pull' the trigger...that (probably most of the time) wasting valuable time that can be dedicated to paying customers...and for the tank, that is probably a small job that has little profit and takes the place/bay of a bigger job (maybe), or as they say, money talks, BS walks...my van turned out so awesome, so smooth and I have john to thank for his wisdom and experience putting together kick-a$$ 4x4 vans...with that said, since I have joined, Agile (I haven't put name and business together yet) has been a solid contributor, honest evaluator, brilliant problem solver, and trusted advice-giver...HIs posts and willingingness to help here on the forum and (as I have read) out in the field or areas we like to explore...He seems to be a most excellent dude that puts together an excellent package...I am sure you will be just fine...but trashing John on a post about not getting back to you on 'your' expected time frame, as if you are his only concern seems a bit harsh...good luck on your build (though)!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #13
Site Team

It's tough to be a small business owner, especially when you are a victim of your own success.

When business is good, it is hard to take time away from actual 'production' to spend most of your time answering questions from potential customers, many of which quite frankly, are just tire kickers. Separating the truly potential customers, from those who are just 'curious' is not something I'd want to spend my days doing, as it can be a no-win situation.

I talked with Quadvan years ago when we first started looking at 4wd vans and got great info, and Ramsey (Agile Offroad) has been a great source of info and a great provider of van services, but not that long ago many people posted similar comments about Agile Offroad. Ramsey had a great product but again he was a victim of his own success when he struggled to keep up with demand even when he was supposed to be retired. Ramsey has since brought on a business partner and it appears his business is growing by leaps and bounds and is keeping up with demand. However, the country is littered with businesses that grew too much and collapsed, so again a tough balancing act for small businesses.

I truly sympathize with the frustration but all I can recommend is that you keep trying to get the info you need, and don't give up on your provider-of-choice. Offer to schedule a phonecall on a particular day and time. Even a plane ticket and an investment of a day or two of your time is small potatoes compared to the investment of a 4wd conversion and happiness on the road.

my $0.02
Herb
Old 07-05-2016, 01:33 PM   #14
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb
Well put BroncoH! As the poster (Spicoli) will find out, the providers of 4x4 conversions all have their positives and negatives...to be that inpatient and post a tirade that is (basically) unfair to one of the best converters (yes I am biased since I own a Quadvan conversion) just because he didn't call back as soon as that poster thought they should is ridiculous...then to drag it though the forum so 'all' can see, is truly irresponsible...there are 100's of forum users that would stick up for John and Quadvan and the excellent treatment/customer service they received....I just can't get over this nonsense post...and there isn't even a van purchased yet?!?!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 08:29 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctb View Post
Well put BroncoH! As the poster (Spicoli) will find out, the providers of 4x4 conversions all have their positives and negatives...to be that inpatient and post a tirade that is (basically) unfair to one of the best converters (yes I am biased since I own a Quadvan conversion) just because he didn't call back as soon as that poster thought they should is ridiculous...then to drag it though the forum so 'all' can see, is truly irresponsible...there are 100's of forum users that would stick up for John and Quadvan and the excellent treatment/customer service they received....I just can't get over this nonsense post...and there isn't even a van purchased yet?!?!
Thanks for your input. I appreciate yours and everybody's insight, good or bad. I've seen others that have had similar experiences to how yours started and how mine has gone thus far.

I totally get the position Quadvan is in and I understand the gamble of spending time with potential customers. But...AO is in the same position, no? Super busy? Limited manpower? And yet I got through the first time. All businesses, in fact, go through the same growing issue of where to spend precious time.

Quadvan is still on my shortlist as I know full well their reputation for quality work and as my frustration subsides I may keep trying to get a hold of them. But there comes a time when you gotta draw the line on starting a $13,000 project with someone you can't communicate with. If that time hasn't passed for me, it's certainly very close.

With that said I understand my tone was a little strong, and for that my apologies, but please don't put words in my mouth or take my original post as a tirade simply because, as you say, he didn't get back to me on my schedule. I never said that. I simply said I haven't been able to make contact in what I believe a reasonable amount of time. I was just venting because it's frustrating and never meant this thread to be a Quadvan bash.

So if you think my OP was unfair and nonsensical, so be it. For me, it's fact. All that quality workmanship and knowledge he has that so many speak of got me to pick up the phone to inquire more. He didn't answer.
J.Spicoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:07 AM   #16

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA
I would focus on what 4X4 system you want and then find the best to build it.

I would suggest driving each of the systems before you decide - it is worth the time investment because you will be living with it for some time.

They are all very different...

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 12:40 AM   #17

[QUOTE=BajaSportsmobile;178691

...... I would suggest driving each of the systems before you decide - it is worth the time investment because you will be living with it for some time.

They are all very different...[/QUOTE]

This is very sage advice!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 10:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile View Post
I would focus on what 4X4 system you want and then find the best to build it.

I would suggest driving each of the systems before you decide - it is worth the time investment because you will be living with it for some time.

They are all very different...
Excellent advice, thank you. Heading out now to go look at a van. It's only a 2wd basic unfinished cargo van but if all goes well I may have a new money pit in a few days.
Old 07-06-2016, 10:19 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1der View Post
This is very sage advice!!!
Hey 1dr, know of anyone with both setups, lol....

I may be in contact soon, thanks for reaching out.
Old 07-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #20

Garage
J. Where are you located? If you are near PDX, I may be able to assist in some test drives.

2001 Van Haus E350 EB 7.3L Quadvan 4X4
1999 Sportsmobile E150 - SOLD
2002 Sportsmobile RB50 7.3L 4X4 - SOLD
dokaman is offline   Reply With Quote