Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #1

Quigley 4x4 Front Brake reference

This is for a 2002. YMMV.

(I know some of the very early and later Quigley's used Ford components. I am not sure of the date changes. Basically if you have 8 x 6.5 PCD wheels on the rear, you probably have the Chevy front end to match like I do. Once Ford switched to 8 x 170 (?) on the van rear, they were able to switch back to F350 front end.)

Front brakes are from a 1977-1986 K30 Chevy (with D60 front diff)

Pads are Bendix MKD-149
Rotors are Bendix 141469 or Dayton D4698

The rotors are machined in two places to clear the Ford ABS sensor. Quigley can do this machining if you send rotors to them, and will also supply rotors that have been machined. If you ask them they will also share the diagram of how to modify the rotors.

"A job worth doing is worth doing at least twice."
ANZAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
Quigley 4x4 Front Brake reference

I'm in much the same position, however, my 03 has the ford front end with non serviceable hubs. Quigley machined the rear rotors from 8X170 to match the 8X6.5 in front, or was it vice versa? Anyway, there is no direct after market fitment. Have wanted to upgrade them for a while now and have hit dead ends. I think at some point I will have to swap out both axles for full or semi floaters with the big brake kit, will need to swap out my Mohave 16" for 17", sounds expensive. Check out some of the swap outs at UJOR.com
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:17 PM   #3

Re: Quigley 4x4 Front Brake reference

Quote:
Originally Posted by REF
Quigley machined the rear rotors from 8X170 to match the 8X6.5 in front, or was it vice versa?
They machined the front rotors to clear the ABS sensor. The rear PCD on vans was 8x6.5 up until 2008 or something. They didn't touch the rear, just picked a front D60 that was the right width and PCD to match the rear.

Old 06-05-2013, 06:53 AM   #4

Every Quigley that I've seen with the 99-04 style unit bearing front axle has had the unit bearings machined for different studs to make them 8 on 6.5. The rotors are machined too. And you're right, if you need a replacement unit bearing they have to come from Q or you have to figure it out wit a local machine shop. When we do a "DeQuiglification" here, we always change the front axle back to 8 on 170mm by replacing the unit bearings & rotors. This requires new wheels too. The upside is that you can get replacement parts at any parts store!
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by UJOINT
Every Quigley that I've seen with the 99-04 style unit bearing front axle has had the unit bearings machined for different studs to make them 8 on 6.5. The rotors are machined too. And you're right, if you need a replacement unit bearing they have to come from Q or you have to figure it out wit a local machine shop. When we do a "DeQuiglification" here, we always change the front axle back to 8 on 170mm by replacing the unit bearings & rotors. This requires new wheels too. The upside is that you can get replacement parts at any parts store!
That's not what Quigley told me about my 02. They said it was a complete D60 front diff out of a GM K30, which is 8x6.5. If they changed the studs/hub PCD the rotors wouldn't fit the hubs.... the rotors are sandwiched between the studs and the hub face.

The diagram they sent me does not show any machining required for the stud holes on the rotors.

And why would you change the front axle to 8x170 when the back axle on an 02 is 8x6.5?

Old 06-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANZAC
Quote:
That's not what Quigley told me about my 02. They said it was a complete D60 front diff out of a GM K30, which is 8x6.5. If they changed the studs/hub PCD the rotors wouldn't fit the hubs.... the rotors are sandwiched between the studs and the hub face.

The diagram they sent me does not show any machining required for the stud holes on the rotors.

And why would you change the front axle to 8x170 when the back axle on an 02 is 8x6.5?
Quigley was kinda late to game adopting the Ford Unit-bearing D60, which is why your '02 didn't get the '02 Ford axle. For the guys with the newer Quigs, going to 8x170 means you can just order F-series parts from now on. Rear axle needs adapters to match track width anyways.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Quigley was kinda late to game adopting the Ford Unit-bearing D60, which is why your '02 didn't get the '02 Ford axle. For the guys with the newer Quigs, going to 8x170 means you can just order F-series parts from now on. Rear axle needs adapters to match track width anyways.
Correct, that is my understanding. I actually thought Quigley switched to the Ford unit bearing D60 when the vans changed to 8x170 in 07 or 08 or whenever.

I'm going to double check with Quigley that the rotors and unit bearings/hubs are the same GM application at 8x6.5" PCD and unchanged. But that was my understanding from my prior discussion with Tiger. Took a lot of head scratching before I caught on to the GM thing.

Old 06-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #8

The vans are still 8 on 6.5. We use the 8 on 170mm for a few reasons. We also use 8 on 6.5 with the RSC kits, it depends on the van and how we're setting it up. Since my conversion is sold in kit form for the DIY'r, we set it up for a readily available axle (99-04 units) This keeps the cost down and allows guys to source their own axle locally. The last time Ford made an 8 on 6.5 front axle was 97 and they're harder to find. The 99-04 is plentiful, ABS ready, and works nicely under the van chassis. Like Carringb said, replacement parts are easy to source too.

Your front axle was probably bought straight from Dana by Quigley. It's not a GM axle per say, since they had pass side differentials. It just has GM "outers" with a d side diff. Dana sells these bare tube axles for special applications.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:53 PM   #9

corrected bendix rotor p/n

Old 02-27-2014, 07:02 PM   #10

Quote:
The vans are still 8 on 6.5. We use the 8 on 170mm for a few reasons. We also use 8 on 6.5 with the RSC kits, it depends on the van and how we're setting it up. Since my conversion is sold in kit form for the DIY'r, we set it up for a readily available axle (99-04 units) This keeps the cost down and allows guys to source their own axle locally. The last time Ford made an 8 on 6.5 front axle was 97 and they're harder to find. The 99-04 is plentiful, ABS ready, and works nicely under the van chassis. Like Carringb said, replacement parts are easy to source too.

Your front axle was probably bought straight from Dana by Quigley. It's not a GM axle per say, since they had pass side differentials. It just has GM "outers" with a d side diff. Dana sells these bare tube axles for special applications.
So all vans even 08-14 are 8 on 6.5 ?
4x4sporty is offline   Reply With Quote