Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2013, 08:53 AM   #111

Re: Quigley and QuadVan - FOX Shox Ride Improvement Package

Thanks for the detailed response to Maxacceleration.

Just to round out the discussion. If you get time, would you mind comparing and contrasting a true independent front suspension such as are used one the Chevy trucks with the TTB and solid front axle? And your thoughts on it?

I can't tell from their website, is Quadvan a leaf sprung front solid axle? If so, did I understand you right that you would prefer a leaf sprung Quadvan over a coil sprung front solid axle, and if so why?

2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #112

Quadvan is coil sprung in front E350.

Thanks for great replies Bsmb. I'm glad to hear your radius arms are longer than stock - a key requirement.

Your RIP kits looks interesting, maybe I'll talk with you some time. I am in San Diego semi regularly and will be down the first of Feb to spectate the Hammers in my class 5.

I'll just agree to dis agree on the TTB. Yes Rangers & full sized Fords have raced TTB extensively.
Racing has gone beyond TTB. I'm sure there is a multitude of old TTB racers still out there.
Going slow is different than going fast, and the needs required. The ancient straight axle can articulate as easy or easier, and with less complication (think early Bronco setup).
Semantics. We are talking a 8500 lbs van here.
And speed? Ok sure. Anyone who has been to coco's corner knows of all the baby heads and how easy is is to get out of shape on that road. Ya its the main hwy through there too... lol
NOT a place to bomb your full interior smb through and have loose equipment start to come in to play.
Just common sense there.

Only a counter point by me Bsmb! You are the builder, I am merely a consumer who has a little off road experience.

I do agree the 4x4 van lacks in suspension, and you are certainly looking to improve on the breed.

Sadly (but thankfully) with my Quadvan, the best way of reducing chatter is to drop my air pressure from 70 psi to 30-35 psi. Works wonders.
I believe my front suspension needs additional articulation too. But it still requires it to stay 'flat' on the road without too much roly poly. Fine line for sure.

Cheers.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
I can't tell from their website, is Quadvan a leaf sprung front solid axle? If so, did I understand you right that you would prefer a leaf sprung Quadvan over a coil sprung front solid axle, and if so why?
This is a problem with many consumers. They don't actually know or understand what type of suspension is going under their van, or any other vehicle for that matter.
Having a jeep or toyota or buggy and wheelin in the outback and watching competitions sure helps to 'get the feel' of what works and why.
Sorry E350, you left yourself open for the example!
Old 12-16-2013, 10:01 PM   #114

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxacceleration
I am in San Diego semi regularly and will be down the first of Feb to spectate the Hammers in my class 5.
Maybe we can connect at KOH - I'm always there for the main event. I've done suspension tuning on a couple of the KOH "Rigs" to help them go fast.

P.s. Robby Gordon's "Rig" was a custom built TTB and was one of the fastest out there.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:28 PM   #115

Location: Rancho Nuevo (Cabo/Todos Santos) B.C.S. and San Diego, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E350
Just to round out the discussion. If you get time, would you mind comparing and contrasting a true independent front suspension such as are used one the Chevy trucks with the TTB and solid front axle? And your thoughts on it?
TTB is truly independent suspension. What you are asking about is a double A-arm independent suspension like most of the 1/2 Ton 4X4 Trucks from all manufacturers use. 4X4 is rarely used in Desert Racing these days, but in Short Course Off-Road Racing the Pro 4 Class is the fastest trucks on dirt. They all use custom Double A-arm designs. It is much more difficult to get reliable "Long Travel" out of a A-arm system because the compound angles on the driveline at the steering knuckle - up and down travel and steering angles combine to put a lot of angle in the steering U-joint or more likely Constant Velocity Joint (CV).

On production vehicles, the A-arms are short, and steering angles tight, so actual wheel travel is very limited.

We, Agile Off-Road, donated 4 FOX Shocks to the raffle at the 2013 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous - the winner has a Chev 2500 HD 4X4. I was surprised to see that the lower A-arm at ride height is only half an inch from contacting the bump stop - not much travel there.

I had the opportunity to see a NEW Quigley 4X4 Chevy Van up close - exact same suspension as the HD truck and just as little travel.

We are developing a double A-arm long travel 4X4 system in the shop for another vehicle, not Chevy - taking way too long with too many distractions.

AgileOffRoad.com
BajaSportsmobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:03 PM   #116

Baja thanks for the enlightenment, as always. Now that you explain and show it with pictures, I get how an A frame independent suspension would only have so much travel. When I get other things worked out on the van (for instance deciding whether or not I will be doing the 2" body lift to get better access to the passenger side injectors), I will be talking to you about Fox Shox on the van.

BTW, I just put a new Y-pipe on the Bronco today. DEC is now making the new California-only catalytic converter with Y-pipe for the Bronco's and OBS Ford trucks. I will post a write-up in the FSB subforum on Ford-Trucks.com And when I get around to it, I will be talking to you about Fox Shox on the Bronco too.
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #117

Any updates on the rip kit???
Sounds like you have your hands full right now, but I would love to get onboard once you are ready.
Thanks
Ken
cjken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 02:18 PM   #118

Send a message via AIM to stampy

I'm very likely to be the owner of 2002 quigley tomorrow, and after reading this thread I'm pretty interested as well!
stampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #119

I added my last piece to the quigley puzzle.....I installed the Fox steering stabilizer from Agile off road.
cowboy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:02 AM   #120

Garage

so, another update about my fox setup from ramsey.

this is from my passengers over last weekends trip. everybody who rode with us last year was quick to tell us how much better the ride was vs last year. there was very limited "swim" this year vs last. had high winds both ways and the only real swaying back and fourth was just outside pocatello where 84 ties into I15 twords idaho falls. its heavily grooved and with the side winds, we did some swimming, but overall, my passengers were VERY thankful for the upgrades i have done since last years journey. even the people that were in the van last year who were either following, or in front of us all commented on how much more stable the van appeared compared to last year. so again, a very heartfelt thank you from everybody in our clan ramsey!!! we will no longer need to keep barfbags handy

ive also made some swaybar relocating mounts as suggested by ramsey. ive got them installed, but the bushings are so trashed i didnt notice any difference after install. ive got some new poly bushings ready for install. ill update once i get those in and have some time to test.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote