Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #31

Re: Quigley conversion and fuel tankage

Quote:
Originally Posted by loren85022
My family would cringe every time we came across a felled tree until I discovered the versatility and convenience of plastic explosives. Now we look forward to those precious moments

I want me some of that stuff.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:07 PM   #32

SoooOOOooo, between this thread and some off-line conversations, and some headscratching, I think I have determined that I am not going to be able to handily add more fuel capacity beneath the van (I am a victim of CA smog law).

I tangentially considered for awhile changing axle gearing (van has 4.10s, and I could change them out to 3.73s for sub-$2000) to increase fuel economy, which is another means of increasing range. Consensus seems to be that I won't seem more that 1mpg increase, therefore my range will only increase by 10%.

I don't care to resign myself to never getting more than 100 miles from a gas station.

Which means that the solution MUST come from Aluminess, and the ability to pack 10-15 gallons on the rear bumper.

I am awed at my ability to talk myself into buying cool stuff . I haven't ordered it yet, but I see no other solution. Do you???
Esmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:56 PM   #33

Garage

Just curious why the cutaway tank isn't an option for you? I don't know the ins and outs of Cali smog law (I'm in Alberta and we have none of that fancy hippy law up here) but it seems to me like it should be ok since it is a factory designed system and uses Ford parts. No hillbilly engineering required.
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:06 PM   #34

The "Harpoon Mod" worked for me to allow filling the extra 5 gallons into the tank:

http://www.guzzle7pt3.com/harpoon.php

Keep voting for more Democrats and less freedom Californians...
2002 E350 ext.; 160K; 7.3L; 4R100 (w/4x4 deep pan & filter); 4x4 conv. w/2007 F250/F350 coil frnt axle (oppos. dual Bilstein press. shocks cured DW) diff chg from 3.55 to 3.73 (bad!); BW1356 t.c. (bad!); LT265/70R17/E Michelin LTX M/S2; Engel MT60 Combi Fridge-Freezer; 4 BP 380J pv panels; Auragen 5kw AC gen. in top alt. position; Webasto Dual-Top; Voyager top. 1995 5.8L EB Bronco, bone stock.
E350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:56 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
Just curious why the cutaway tank isn't an option for you? I don't know the ins and outs of Cali smog law (I'm in Alberta and we have none of that fancy hippy law up here) but it seems to me like it should be ok since it is a factory designed system and uses Ford parts. No hillbilly engineering required.
If, by "cutaway tank," you mean a tank from a cab/chassis typically mounted behind the rear axle, the problem is that my spare tire takes up most of the space between the frame rails behind the rear axle. In order to use a transfer tank, or second tank, in that location, I would have to move my spare tire to somewhere else (prob to an Aluminess bumper tire rack).

If, by "cutaway tank," you mean replacing the existing 22-gal tank (of which a piece was cut away to make room for the transfer case) with a deeper tank, I am not sure what the physical problem is, but the legal problem is that the deeper tanks are not "stickered" for use in California. There is some chance that when a smog check was performed, a smog tech might notice that the tank is not factory-equip, and might fail the test. The chance of that seems pretty remote to me.

A physical problem that I have been advised of is that a deeper tank would require a second (or larger) evap canister. I don't really believe this advice, as the original tank (before it was cut down to make way for the transfer case) was larger and presumably has a evap system of sufficient capacity to handle the original, larger, fuel tank.

I don't know all that I think I know about this.

EDIT TO ADD: I see you're from Alberta -- does the lifestyle up there really mirror Corb Lund's portrayal? https://youtu.be/pDY6bWT5oTM
Old 04-25-2015, 08:01 PM   #36

Garage

Haha it's not too far off

By "cutaway tank" I did mean the tank that fits between the frame rails where the spare tire usually sits. You don't need the whole big fancy aluminess bumper in order to relocate your spare. Just the stand alone tire carrier or something along those lines. Or one of those hitch mounted tire carriers or something
ert01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ert01
... You don't need the whole big fancy aluminess bumper in order to relocate your spare. Just the stand alone tire carrier or something ...
Yes. That would be way more practical, and I hope I can listen to this good judgement. Thanks.
Old 08-09-2016, 02:26 AM   #38

Aero rear tank

I have a 2002 e350 v10..

With regard to the rear aero 40 gallon (diesel) tank. I am relaocating my spare to an aluminess bumper..

Can I use the rear tank? If so , how ? I don't care about California laws, just functionality. Is there a better solution?

I definitely want more than 31 gallons (main tank) of range. I don't want outboard gas fans (if I can avoid it.)

D
Davidl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 AM   #39

David, you can get an Aerotank 45 gallon that replaces your main tank, not a rear tank. They list it as a diesel tank but will put you flange in it for your fuel pump. Me and several others have done this. If you don't live in California it's not a problem at all. for me it was MUCH cheaper than the other available options.

You can do a rear tank if you'd like but there's more to it. Look at MGmetalworks build. On the most recent few pages he has completed a cutaway Ford tank on his e350 van.

http://www.sportsmobileforum.com/for...ect-10952.html

86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote