Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2021, 02:25 PM   #1

Quigley Recalls and TSBs?

Is there a list of any recalls or TSBs from Quigley? I know the dealer recalls are probably pretty well documented, but I have had my c-channel torque arm break and have seen reports of people having Quigley replace them with the tubular ones at no charge and also have seen some people have paid. I personally would like to have them replaced for free, but Quigley is telling me there is no recall and is charging ~$700 for the parts. Anyway, if there are documented recalls or TSBs that would be a great stickie to have i would think but I didn't find one.

My specific/primary need right now though is the c-channel torque arm recall or TSB. If anyone can snap a photo or scan documentation of their free replacement, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Would love to hear if there are other issues though that should be looked at. I have a 97 EB E-350 with 7.3 Powerstroke.

WillTheThri11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 02:57 PM   #2

They probably replaced them in-kind 20 years ago. Here in 2021 you gotta pay. Or make them yourself. They lasted since 1997 so why the dispute over $700? Just to have a pissing match? It's a vintage vehicle at this point. Sorry I don't support your line of thinking but I maintain a whole lot of 90s vehicles and I spend $700 every few months without complaint. Be happy Quigley even has those parts still. I find them to be one of the best about maintaining old stock.
simplesez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 03:29 PM   #3

Garage
It floors me that quigley isn’t willing to replace a WELL known safety issue that could kill the occupants of one of their vehicles along with other motorists that might get caught up in whatever wreck the cracked arm caused. You know only one set of those arms cost that much to make. Seems to me making sure your reputation for being a safe conversion vehicle like be priority number 1.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:02 PM   #4

This is not about a pissing match over $700, it's about open honest communication and a company standing behind a product that has serious safety issues. These are structural components of the vehicle that they manufactured that have failed.

They could be open an honest and say they used to replace them under a TSB but that deal expired on mm/dd/yyyy based on xyz. TSBs sometimes expire, recalls are good for the life of the vehicle as far as I know. Instead they are shutting me down and not talking about it.

They lasted since 1997, sure...but what about mileage and usage?...these are structural parts that failed prematurely due to a known design problem and/or workmanship issues, not environment/rust or abuse. For example, there's plenty of life left in the bushings, which as rubber parts do actually degrade with age alone. How many vehicles are expected to have structural failure within 20 years? I have a 1970 VW, have replaced many suspension components, brakes, etc... zero structural components whatsoever. Show me a F250/350 with structurally compromised torque arms at 100k miles with no rust or abuse.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:12 PM   #5

Is that what you would say if you were a lawyer and in court arguing? Nice rant on what they should do but it doesn't change the fact that they charge $ for a part that may or may not break. You have known that the part could break for 20 years so why didn't you replace for preventative maintenance? That was your choice. It isn't a recall as you know and stated. All this talk about safety and such but it still is about the principle of $700. A few years ago it was $400 so why didn't you buy it back then?

If Sportsmobile knew that top support bars bend over time why didn't they offer to replace them for all of us? They know the bolt can shear and the top collapses and bangs on my head! That could nearly kill me!

Oh wait we accept that as a poor design/material choice and know that we have to fix it ourselves or pay Sportsmobile or CCV to replace.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplesez View Post
[...]why didn't you replace for preventative maintenance?
What's the preventative maintenance interval on torque arms? Didn't see that in the manual

Quote:
That was your choice. It isn't a recall as you know and stated. All this talk about safety and such but it still is about the principle of $700.
Your words not mine and I don't appreciate your assumption and subsequent trolling.

Quote:
A few years ago it was $400 so why didn't you buy it back then?
I didn't know about the problem until I found the broken part a couple weeks ago and looked it up.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:28 PM   #7

I'm not trolling. I just don't agree with your point of view. That is called a debate just like you want to have with Quigley. So I will play the representative for Quigley in this courtroom fantasy. Lol

So wait it broke and you didn't die? So is it really a deadly issue like shenrie said?
Old 09-28-2021, 06:44 PM   #8

Was doing suspension this summer and decided to replace the arms (And frame brackets) with new... Was about $950 if I remember right.

Frame brackets likely did not need to be replaced ('97, low miles, 5.4L so it's lightweight vs 7.3L), but with the way the paint was flaking decided to do it anyways. Didn't see any visible cracks, not to say that there weren't any there. It was a peace of mind issue that I didn't want to be in the middle of nowhere, Montana, and have snapped arms. The truck is immaculate for being 25 years old, and I'd make the case they probably should have been warrantied, but I wasn't going to squabble over a thousand dollars that (most of which...) just get tacked on to the resale value.

> Is Quigley legally responsible for a recall? No, probably not.
> Should Quigley offer to replace something they under-designed free of charge, or subsidize it heavily? It is a nice thought.
> The reality of the situation? Pound sand, and take Quigley's decision not to do so as a reflection of their customer service.

Even if they won't do anything for you/are just going to stick it to you... as others have said... at least the parts are still available, even if you have to pay through the nose to get them.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroading_is_Fun View Post
Was doing suspension this summer and decided to replace the arms (And frame brackets) with new... Was about $950 if I remember right.
Interesting you chose to do the frame brackets as well, if I were to do that, i think I'd move them back to get more down travel and closer resemble the expovans conversions.

Did you do adjustable arms with any kind of heim or johnny joint or stick to the original design? I'm thinking I will likely make my own or have them made at this point since Quigley makes a seemingly inferior part and doesn't stand behind it anyway.
Old 09-29-2021, 03:25 PM   #10
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF
That’s what I did, had an adjustable set made, was able to sneak the axle forward for more clearance to fit 315’s. I took it this way, as long as I’m having to pay for replacements anyway, I may as well make them better and gain the clearance. Plus, as mentioned, I wasn’t giving my money to the same company who’s faulty product I was replacing in the first place.
CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote