Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2015, 02:26 PM   #41

Re: Quigley refresh - suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaSportsmobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete
Soooo... just took a look at my control arms and they are cracked. Wondering if I need to replace them right away, or wait until they get worse? Likely have done plenty of trips with them this way. What happens if they break clean through?
You will be in some danger and trouble. If they are cracked, get them fixed or replaced. They can be welded up and reinforced or you can get upgraded replacement ones from Quigley. There are also aftermarket ones available.
Any suggested location for reinforcing/welding them here in Orange County?
I ended up just having mine welded. I had Kraig's Welding do it, he came to my house and did it on the street in about an hour. Much better than buying and reinstalling new ones, for my purposes.

http://kraigsmobilewelding.com/

He was on time, and quick. $320 for the job.

Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 11:00 AM   #42
NRL

Send a message via Yahoo to NRL

Just got my updated Quigley Arms from Quigley for my 96'.. they feel and look much more solid/beefier then the ones on the van now.

I've had no issues with the existing C channel arms, drives great, no wobbles or issue thru the years whatso ever.. but the bushings looked like they needed to be refreshed.

Quigley mentioned they had these updated Arms.. so I went for it since it's ready to go.

Do I need to take it somewhere to lift the whole van to get the job done or can I just put jacks under the frame and move the axle up and down with a hydraulic jack to get the old arms off and put the new ones on?
Warn12kWinch,FFloater,LSlip,Pwtrx Locker 4.10 305x70x16 ToyoMTs,Eagle Alloys,Stove,4CF Ppane Fridge, Air CompTank,Supersprings, Bilstein Shocks,Deavers,CastIron Diff Case, Bullet Proof ReBuilt Transmission, Tubulator DeRale Trans Pan Cover, SSExhaust, KyoceraSolar, Tripplite UPS, 8D AGM, TivoHD, 24in HDLED
95 FJ80 ARB/Kaymar/Emu
2005 AMG CL65 691hp 875tq
NRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 03:58 PM   #43

Might not be the smartest way, but I just blocked the all the wheels and removed the old ones. Just did one side at a time. Had to "giggle" the front just a bit to get things to line up. When I say giggle I'm talking about less than a 1/4 inch to get the bolt through.
primitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM   #44

Garage

Agreed. when I swapped my old arms out for the new style i pretty much left it on the ground. I might have had to jack up the axle or frame slightly to get one to line up but I on't recall having any issues getting the arms lined back up. The track bar on the other end took a bit to get it back in line

-d