Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Quigley steering damper

Looking for recommendations on an aftermarket damper for a 97 E350 Quigley 4x4. I’ve replaced tie rod ends, ball joints, steering stabilizer, track bar bushings, and replaced the factory steering box with a RedHead. I’m still getting a little more wander than I’d like and would like to try this next. It’s stamped F7UA-3E651-AA motorcraft and I am unable to cross reference this with anything. Any suggestions?
Attached Thumbnails
C5BA08B5-E349-4D17-9596-B9C636C93C28.jpg  

TCNorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:14 PM   #2

Have you had it aligned? If so, how much caster do you have? Caster can have a direct effect on steering wander and return to center.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Have you had it aligned? If so, how much caster do you have? Caster can have a direct effect on steering wander and return to center.
I’ve had it aligned twice since I bought it. Before and after replacing all the parts listed above. The wander isn’t terrible, but I’m constantly adjusting the wheel. Return to center isnt an issue. I will call the guy who did the work and see if he knows how much caster I have.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 AM   #4

Garage
At low speed or at highway speeds?

Here’s a good thread to check out:

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ers-22495.html

There’s a lot of good info floating around this forum. Not sure if it was the above thread or another where someone had mentioned a panhard bar setup in the rear being the solution but that and replacement leafs in the back are the only things I haven’t addressed. My van was horrific at high speeds when purchased. White knuckled, constant input experience. Wasn’t enjoyable at all. The mods I’ve made have made a world of difference, but I still have a little swim left I would like eliminated.

Edit: here’s the thread that talks about the trac bar in the rear.

https://www.sportsmobileforum.com/fo...ble-23896.html

arctic, any updates you could add to that thread with your experience regarding the trac bar install and whether it helped at all with the swim I know were both fighting.
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Yup. I agree on needing more caster. The damper should be primarily for reducing bump-steer. But you shouldn't have wander under normal conditions.

The upper damper you have is a stock E-series damper. Some alignment shops have a box full of good take-offs. Your Rancho damper looks now however. You shouldn't need double-dampers to drive well on the highway
Old 10-23-2020, 12:08 PM   #6

That’s some good info guys, thank you. This thing had really bad death wobble when I bought it. Drove from California back to Washington and it would DW from hitting a pothole. Terrifying. First thing I did was replace the front track bar bushings as they were totally egged, and the stabilizer. Haven’t had any issue with DW since.

The rear track bar might be the next step, I was thinking it needed a sway bar, but I like this option better. I tried to find more info on it but both links took me to the agile RIP kit. Do you know who the manufacturer is?

I’m also interested in adjustable control arms. I have the original C channel and it’s time for a replacement. Moving the axle forward an inch or two would really help with some rubbing.
Old 10-23-2020, 02:07 PM   #7

[QUOTE=shenrie; arctic, any updates you could add to that thread with your experience regarding the trac bar install and whether it helped at all with the swim I know were both fighting.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, I have nothing to report. I installed the track bar, but never got the chance to really test it out because shortly after installing it, I pulled the semi float diff and installed a full float. That lead to new shocks, then reworked springs and a bunch of other time eaters. The Covid isolation ended up being 8 months of extensive upgrades, but very few miles driven. Recently I installed a diesel heater, and the only reasonable place to put it required the exhaust and intake pipes to be run directly through the area where the trac bar mount attached to the frame. I haven't given up yet though, but I suspect there will be some serious fabrication needed to clear the pipes and I'm not sure it will get done prior to my departure on my winter road trip as I still have plenty to do first. If it doesn't work out, I'll end up selling the whole assembly in new, unused condition. If I do get it on before leaving, I'll update my experience.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 02:34 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctictraveller View Post
Sadly, I have nothing to report. I installed the track bar, but never got the chance to really test it out because shortly after installing it, I pulled the semi float diff and installed a full float. That lead to new shocks, then reworked springs and a bunch of other time eaters. The Covid isolation ended up being 8 months of extensive upgrades, but very few miles driven. Recently I installed a diesel heater, and the only reasonable place to put it required the exhaust and intake pipes to be run directly through the area where the trac bar mount attached to the frame. I haven't given up yet though, but I suspect there will be some serious fabrication needed to clear the pipes and I'm not sure it will get done prior to my departure on my winter road trip as I still have plenty to do first. If it doesn't work out, I'll end up selling the whole assembly in new, unused condition. If I do get it on before leaving, I'll update my experience.
Do you have the make/model of the track bar?

I just slammed in a diesel heater a couple weeks ago, found the area right behind the barn door had a nice flat spot for mounting.
Attached Thumbnails
CCF9C96D-B67C-4259-BA7B-2B3368441D9B.jpg   485B891C-42D5-44EC-8F85-BD9196423986.jpg  
Old 10-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the update artic. Sorry to hear about all the headaches. Sometimes it seems never ending huh?

This is the one referenced in one of those threads. They have a couple of options but either way, both setups look nice. Like artic said though, with the 46g tank, I wonder what I stall is going to be like. There wasn’t even room in that area for a swaybar typically mounted on mine.

https://supersteerparts.com/products...e350-e450.html
"understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of your car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of your car, horsepower is how hard your car hits the wall, and torque is how far your car moves the wall."
shenrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #10

@TCNorthwest, what tire pressure are you running? Too much will cause your van to become very evil at high speeds.
86Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote