Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #21

Re: Quigley to do 4x4 on new Transit for 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
Ford has some pics up of the 2014 body style. Very Sprinter-like from the side.

Front could take some getting used to. I think it will look better in other colors. And still better than the Nissan.

http://www.ford.com/commercial-truck...hotos/transit/
Whoa! I didn't know Ford had that page up already, even though it's just a few info and pictures. I actually like the front-end styling on this one rather than the ones I'd seen in the articles. The grille gives it a more tougher look and it does have the Sprinter look to it at certain angles. I just don't understand why there are no data on the engines and specs such as GVWR, tow ratings, payload, etc.

I'm pretty sure that there will soon be aftermarket parts to dress up the van in no time such as the cool wheels, monochromatic look, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if Aluminess offers front and rear bumpers with the swing-away spare tire carrier, side or rear door ladders, roof racks, etc. The problem for most SMB owners would be the fact that the van would only offer side sliding doors rather than the side 60/40 doors as on the Econoline. Basically: no more door galley boxes and things like that.

I know it's silly for me to say this, but I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve awaiting for present-opening time. Well I'm 32 just waiting for more info about the van and whether or not SMB will offer any floor plans for it. I guess it's a typical Asperger Syndrome thing for me. lol

pffan1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 PM   #22

Here's a nice color, but with the Euro grill. I suspect the EcoBoost necessitates more breathing room than the engines over there.

Interior looks nice:
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM   #23

I like the blue too, although, I'm more of a red guy. lol I also noticed that the Transit on Ford's site appears to be a bit wider than the Sprinter, which would provide more loading width and better stability. I saw on the Ford UK site that they also sell Transit Jumbo (taller roof LWB cargo-only version), which Sprinter is no longer sold with that feature here in the US!! All is known that only the MWB low- and high-roof will be initially offered before the LWB is offered. I also heard that 2013 may not even be the end of Econoline since Ford may want to allow some phasing time to see if the market likes the new Transit. Even with the Econoline cutaway living on for some time, I'm glad that Ford wants to test the market rather than just put its faith on it.

Not to throw this thread off topic, carringb, but can you share info about your dually Econoline? I saw your signature and can only see that small image in your avatar. There's no images stored in your profile as well. I'm wondering if you ever had a thread about your ride with pictures, since I can't go through pages of search to see if you have? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #24

Last I read is most levels of the E-series will continue through at least 2015, with white cargo E350s and E350/450 cutaways through 2019 possibly. I bet the E150 will cease first, since it isn't even a real half-ton anymore anyways.

I don't think I've started a thread about my van before. I'll try to remember to start one later this week.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:43 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
Ya think? Not saying it can't be done but I wonder if anybody that's good with photoshop can make that thing look cool by adding wheels and modified bumpers. Even the euro 4x4's don't cut it IMO. But who knows, maybe Aluminess can do some aluminum surgery.
Two problems:
Aluminess historically just stretches their existing CAD design to fit
It doesn't look a lot like there is a bumper section to remove and replace on that euro style

Old 11-26-2012, 11:47 PM   #26

Quote:
Last I read is most levels of the E-series will continue through at least 2015, with white cargo E350s and E350/450 cutaways through 2019 possibly. I bet the E150 will cease first, since it isn't even a real half-ton anymore anyways.
I have heard the same thing myself. Kinda sad when you think about it since the Econoline had been built for more than 50 years. It will be the last of the trio of long-running vehicles to be slowly-killed off by Ford: Ranger, Crown Vic, and now Econoline. An end of an era.

Quote:
I don't think I've started a thread about my van before. I'll try to remember to start one later this week.
Great! I'll be looking forward to it although please don't pressure yourself into it if you're busy with life and all that.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #27

Great job with the Photoshop jage! Send the sketch to Aluminess and maybe they'll consider expanding the lineup especially when they will realize the potential market for it. However, there's not much info about the Transit in general at the moment, unless Ford has already released the data to some aftermarket companies.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:58 AM   #28
Site Team

Why is it that Jage's guess on an Aluminess bumper for the transit looks like a cat? Put some whiskers on that thing and say Meow.

Herb
Old 11-28-2012, 09:15 PM   #29
Site Team

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoHauler
Why is it that Jage's guess on an Aluminess bumper for the transit looks like a cat? Put some whiskers on that thing and say Meow.

Herb
No, cats are cool looking, not like that thing...Egads!

[Edit] the SMB forum plate is cool but after looking at it more , it would probably look much better if you chop the top down and leave the rack on top. I wonder if they will sell a low profile top?

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I wonder if they will sell a low profile top?
MotorTrend says yes.