Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #1

Quigly Chevy VS. SMB Ford

Alright, well, it looks like the only option with SMB these days is to go with the new Cutaway version, and it will be a little bit before this is available. I can wait, its not THAT long or that big of a deal, but it has now got me thinking...

Being a family man, someone who is going to be driving distances on freeways and what not and then do very mild off-roading, or hitting snow roads, or beaches. It seems like the Independent Front Suspension option with a Quigly Chevy Van is pretty entertaining. It would probably be pretty nice for the kids in the back to have a smoother ride on the road to our destination.

So this is where I am at. Taking the cutaway factor out of it, thinking as if it was just a standard E350. What are the Pro's and Con's of the Chevy vs Ford AND the SMB conversion vs the Quigly?

Seems like Quigly uses more stock GM parts which seems nice. As I stated before I think the IFS would be nice. SMB seems to be much more beefy though, maybe less concern while 4 wheeling?

Does anyone know what size tires will fit with the new Quigly IFS with thier 3" "LIFS" added to it?

This is all so AWESOME and so damn nerve racking at the same time!

Thanks everyone on here, you have all been really helpful. I hope you can keep the good feedback coming. Remember too, I am no gear head or DIY guy, just a family man who loves to camp, get off the grid, and have some fun int he dirt.

- Geoff

purana182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM   #2

Re: Quigly Chevy VS. SMB Ford

Why not a QuadVan Ford? They are still building them, and as fast as they do Newberg Ford finds more new 2WD vans to convert. A 4" QuadVan 4x4 easily rides as nice as a 2WD Chevy van. I have not driven a Chevy Quigley.

I actually looked into a Chevy Quigley a couple months ago. The 6.0 gas motor doesn't have enough tow capacity for me. And the Duramax EB van only has 150 pounds of reserve front axle capacity, which means no winch, nice bumper, or carrying anything on a roof rack. Plus, combined with the terrible break over angle, and inability to run larger tires, I realized it wasn't a feasible option after all.
Old 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

I think if a *new* Ford van is still available out there somewhere I would just go with the SMB 4wheel conversion. From what SMB tells me though and the quick research I have done, there are no more E350 vans to be found. Hence making the decision to look at a Chevy.

That is really interesting facts about the Chevy front end though...
purana182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #4

I have a 2002 chevy conversion van with first gen Quigley IFS.

The ride up front is great......like a Cadillac, but not so nice in the back. Its still a 3/4 ton cargo van and the back seat still sits on top of an axle. To be fair I'm probably overdue on shocks and springs. I really don't think I'd be as happy with a straight axle. I know the wife wouldn't be happy. With more weight in the back like with a typical SMB it would surely be a better ride in the back.

I would not hesitate to do the same again and would love to upgrade to newer Quigley with lifted IFS........one day maybe. I think the drivetrain is way better than the fords, but I've driven chevy's all my life so a bit bias and never have been left on the side of the road knock on wood. I also don't care for the doghouse being off center or slightly more narrow space on passenger side.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:32 AM   #5
ctb

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ctb

I agree with carringb...I would seriously consider talking to Quadvan about ANY 4x4 conversion/option…they did such a kick a#$ job for us I would think they could make a GM shine too…Jon is the best and will be quite honest on thoughts and questions and his approach…or find a slightly used Econoline and use Quadvan? Anyway, good luck!
ctb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:03 AM   #6

We have both a 2003 E350 V10 EB Quadvan IFS from 2004 and a new to us 2002 7.3 EB E350 Agile IFS from a few months ago. Considered QV for the 2002 but they pretty much stopped doing the TTB back in 2004. Agile is the place to go today. I love the TTB conversion. Great ride plus you can go from nearly stock ride height to lift if you want it (Quigley, QV solid, and SMB you start at 3 to 4 " lift plus you then get send it to Agile to get the ride made better ).

We have about 50k miles on the QV conversion and have had no issues at all. Handles and rides super nice. The Agile feels the same and we are looking forward to our new build. Call both John and Ramsey and then decide. That is what we did
Old 02-03-2015, 07:14 AM   #7
REF

Send a message via MSN to REF

I'll throw in another option, just to confuse things further. I've posted up before the option of at least checking out Boulder Off-road, they take a new Chevy and swap in a ford solid front axle, while its no IFS, they do a really nice job with things.

CCV High Profile Pop Top
REF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 12:05 PM   #8

That chevy is BAD ASS