Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM   #11

Re: Rear springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Markus ,
Is that the 4,300 Kilo's (9,480 lbs.) your traveling loaded weight ? as Deaver's likes to be as close to your actual weight as possible when they design an build your spring pack . AndrewST
is correct in that Germany would also be a good place to look , their are many custom designd trucks being used there .
Greggde
4300 kilos is the maximum weight of my van with load, i dont think that would be the traveling weight. I think whit all equipment the van would be around 3800kg.

markus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 10:36 AM   #12

Markus ,
4300 kilo's is the weight that you should give to Deaver's for your springs if that is your total for the entire weight of your Van and be sure to let them know if you have any special needs
for your van . It might help Deaver's to have photograph's of your current spring's , this might make it easier for them .
Greggde
Greggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM   #13

I don't know about your springs, but thought you might look at this website.
This couple redid their entire van. It might be helpful in your building project.

http://www.panamericanjourney.com/journey1.shtm

Cheers
Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by markus
Andrew ST
Do you know any websites in Germany that could have spring system to my van. If you want to get a 4x4 van, check out Island, the whole country is for sale, and i know people in Norway buys all kinds of 4x4 cheap there
Markus,
I am not sure if Germany has the Ford van and if the spring companies have experience with it.
Will try to find some links for you.
Thank for the Island tip.
Will get back...
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #15
Site Team

Garage

I also have air bag suspension in the rear. Does anybody know if the air bags can remain along with the new Deaver spring packs as overload devices? Any cons to leave them in service?
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #16

Dave ,
I have a set of Ride Rite manual fill with my Deavers and they work great , I keep them set at 15 pounds until I pull one of our boats , I then goto 20 pounds for the 24 foot Bay Ranger and another five pound's for the 26 foot Outrage . this is done more leveling than loading as they figured these trailer tongue weight's into my spring build order .
Greggde
Old 02-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveb
I also have air bag suspension in the rear. Does anybody know if the air bags can remain along with the new Deaver spring packs as overload devices? Any cons to leave them in service?
Dave.
I asked Jeff at Deaver this question last week, as I've also got airbags on my SMB. He said that the airbags have to be removed in order to install the new leaf springs. So as they are installed by SMB, the airbags have to go. He did say they could be re-installed, but they'd need to be relocated and that this process is a bit complex. Jeff's opinion was that the airbags won't be necessary with a new Deaver spring pack, even if you occasionally carry heavy loads on the rear hitch (e.g., dirtbike).

I've going to give it a try.
Rob
Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #18

Emrider ,
I was aware of this at the time of my build and had planned on changing to the Deaver's
shortly after I was to take delivery of our EB-50 .
I had Mac's Spring's in Highland , California do the install as soon as the Deavers were made and installed . It took him all of one and a half hours to fabricate and install . He is Ride Rite's and Air Lifts largest Western Distributer and a very knowledgeable suspension person . He had ready made hangers for our Van in Stock .
I have utilized the Ride Rites on three previous Ford EB Vans with much success all with Deaver Springs under them , it is a means of eliminating tail wag caused by the extended body Vans with variable trailer tongue weight's .
Check out his Web Site at http://www.macssprings.com he is a really nice guy and a MOG owner .
Greggde
Try Googling his web site that I have posted above , as clicking this one brings up some strange search page
Old 02-08-2009, 02:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greggde
Emrider ,
I was aware of this at the time of my build and had planned on changing to the Deaver's
shortly after I was to take delivery of our EB-50 .
I had Mac's Spring's in Highland , California do the install as soon as the Deavers were made and installed . It took him all of one and a half hours to fabricate and install . He is Ride Rite's and Air Lifts largest Western Distributer and a very knowledgeable suspension person . He had ready made hangers for our Van in Stock .
I have utilized the Ride Rites on three previous Ford EB Vans with much success all with Deaver Springs under them , it is a means of eliminating tail wag caused by the extended body Vans with variable trailer tongue weight's .
Check out his Web Site at http://www.macssprings.com he is a really nice guy and a MOG owner .
Greggde
Try Googling his web site that I have posted above , as clicking this one brings up some strange search page
Thanks for the info about Mac's.

I tow maybe 1-2 times per year, and only modest weights of 4,000 or less. So I'll try the van without air bags after I get the new Deaver springs. If I find that I need or want the air bags again, then I'll make a stop at Mac's.

Good thing I really like my SMB because the list of 'maintenance to-dos' and 'upgrades' is seemingly endless.

Rob
Old 02-09-2009, 12:32 PM   #20
Site Team

Garage

Thanks guys
Dave.

Sportsmobile 4X4 Adventures..........On and off road adventures
daveb is offline   Reply With Quote