Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

RIP Quigley

I haven't seen many pic's on the RIP kit, so I figured I'd post some.
Like so many other Quigley owners, in a last ditched attempt to make the van drive the way I always though it should, I decided to shoot Agile Offroad an email and see what they recommended. After a few extremely helpful emails and conversations with them, I decided to get everything they recommended, the whole R.I.P package. There were a few items on the list I was not sure about / wasn't sure if I really needed them, but decided trust their knowledge and go with the whole lot. I can say now that I'm REALLY pleased I did get everything.

To cut to the executive summary as I hate typing, the end result has completely transformed the van's ride, it has really given me far better results than I ever expected. No more excessive body sway, no super harsh front end hits as the suspension bottoms out, no wallowey rear end, no more pussyfutting about over put holes etc. I can't speak highly enough of the end result, it was well worth the money. Since driving to Agile was out of the question, they sent me all the parts for a DIY install, and talked me through the whole install process. John @ Agile made sure I phoned him before I started, gave me the rundown of the install, plus some very helpful hits to make it all go smoothly.

Here are all the parts I received, (I'm sure this will change from van to van).

2 Fox front shocks re valved by Agile
2 Fox rear shocks re valved by Agile (I went with the long travel option, this means cutting off the shock mount extensions Quigley welded onto the OEM mounts)
1 Fox steering stabilizer
2 coil springs
6 leafs. (add 2 leafs to the existing pack and replace 1)
2 Swaybar buchings
2 Swaybar drop mounts
4 Axle U bolts
All the hardware.

Below are the before and after measurements from the suspension travel. I'm expecting a little sag, and may come back and update this.
  • Front up travel (Before) 2" (After) 3"
  • Front total travel (Before) 4 3/4" (After) 4 3/4"
  • Rear up travel (Before) 3 1/8" (After) 5 1/2"
  • Rear total travel (Before) 8 3/8" (After) 8 3/8"

(I should point out that I did have the long travel Bilsteins on the front, so I had already increased the down travel over the regular shocks)

The only real pain about the whole install was cutting / remove some of Quigley's welds.
  • They welded (well tacked) in the swaybar bushings, so they needed to be cut before removing the old bushings. Problem is there is no room for a grinder, and obviously you'll be there all year with a dremmel. So cut-off wheel and air hammer was my only option with my tools.
  • The rear shock extensions are a real pain in the *** to grind / remove, I really don't recommend doing it as I did with the van on the ground / axle stands. Find a shop with a lift.

Here are a bunch of before and after pic's.

Front

Rear (notice how I now have an arch back in the springs)

Front swaybar and stabilizer

And just for comparison. Here is the old spring and old Bilsteins I had, and the new Agile progressive spring and new Fox.

SheepShagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #2

Another happy RIP kit owner.
Advanced 4wd
Agile Ride improvement package
arctictraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:02 PM   #3

Garage
So am I correct in seeing that this kit is essentially a lift kit/shock/spring upgrade?

Google Sled Hockey - You won't be disappointed.
Jsweezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 04:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
So am I correct in seeing that this kit is essentially a lift kit/shock/spring upgrade?
As you can see from the numbers it has lifted the van (I expect ~1" Front ~1.5 Rear by the time it's settled). It's done that through better springs rather than blocks. So not sure if that classifies as lift kit or not. But yes, better springs / shocks and swaybar mounting.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Garage
Ok cool. I just ask because I always wondered how they improved the travel and now it makes sense. Great looking van btw!

Old 05-21-2016, 05:04 PM   #6

The new sway bar bushings would also help, your old ones were shot! Thats that lurch..
Nice writeup
moorefc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 05:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsweezy View Post
Ok cool. I just ask because I always wondered how they improved the travel and now it makes sense. Great looking van btw!
Thanks, I ment to go back and update your rear swaybar thread, but I can't find it now.
Since I was removing everything anyway, I played with the swaybay, here is what I noticed.
  • With stock rear leafs there was a noticeable difference in body role when I removed it. IE a lot more body role with it removed.
  • With the 6 new extra leafs and fox shocks, I haven't felt any difference with or without it, so at the moment it's off the van.

I do have rear air bags, and was running 50psi in them on stock springs, and now have the minimum (15psi), so I'm not sure if that makes any difference as all.

Agile recommended I ditch the rear sway bar and the air bags with their springs. swaybar is gone, probably not going to return, still in two minds on the air bags. I'll make up my mind on that when I load up my car trailer and see how that is.
Old 05-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorefc View Post
The new sway bar bushings would also help, your old ones were shot! Thats that lurch..
Nice writeup
Thanks, yup they were shot, I think the angle the swaybay went in at before adding the agile drop-block didn't help their life.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:03 PM   #9

Garage
Thanks for thinking of me and my question! I'm still waiting for the new springs from Ujoint and will update once I get those on about how it affects the ride. I'm glad to hear with the extra leafs it doesn't matter so much, hopefully I will find similar results.