Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #1

Rock sliders for SMB

Hey Team,

Did AndrewST ever post the contact info for the fabricator in California who makes sliders for the SMB? I'd like to find out if the fab man was able to come up with a frame mounted solution, instead of body.

Has anyone else come across rock sliders for the SMB?

Cheers, parisdakar

parisdakar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #2

Send a message via Yahoo to Zeta
Re: Rock sliders for SMB

Are these rock sliders? Who makes them?

Z

https://www.tomsinclair.net
Zeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:15 PM   #3

Those look like nerf bars. Are they attached to the frame, or body? Technically, rock sliders don't need to be attached to the vehicle frame. However, they are almost useless if not attached in that manner, as any serious weight or impact to the bars could potentially tweak the body to which they are attached.

Nerf bars can attach to the frame too. I had them attached that way on my FJ40. I think they were 'Smittybuilt' (sp?). In sum, nerf bars are larger diameter, and may or may not attach to the frame. They were originally used on race cars, trucks, even go karts - to protect from other cars that would bump (nerf) into the side. These days, most nerf bars are for looks. Rock rails, or sliders, are smaller diameter tubing, and allow the vehicle to slide (more like scrape) over taller rocks. Although they may look cool, they are intended to be functional.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #4
Site Team

The ones in the pic look like ATS, if I recall correctly, which are more of a step than a slider. I wouldn't count on them as a slider.

BTW, not all sliders are made of tubing. Some are heavy gauge steel formed to contour along the rocker panel. These spread the load over a large area of the vehicle body, so they don't typically have to attach to the vehicle frame.

Herb
Old 12-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

If they ran the full length of the SMB rocker, but were not attached to the frame, would that spread the load enough so the body wouldn't get tweaked? I don't really have any insight for vans and heavier trucks, just Tacomas and FJ40s. It seems like they should work.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta
Are these rock sliders? Who makes them?

Z
I have the exact same on my smb and they are not sliders. It is a nerf bar put on at the time of the smb build. Not structural and just a step.

Actually that pic looks exactly like my van except my awning is white not black otherwise my van is identical all the way down to the box on top!
Roonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:18 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parisdakar
If they ran the full length of the SMB rocker, but were not attached to the frame, would that spread the load enough so the body wouldn't get tweaked? I don't really have any insight for vans and heavier trucks, just Tacomas and FJ40s. It seems like they should work.
Without any mechanical engineering to back it up, I would expect it would be stout enough, provided the material was thick enough. The sliders/rock rails I have on my Bronco are only 1/8" thick, and are available up to 1/4" thick. At that thickness however it's very hard, if not impossible, to form the material to match the vehicle body. Though my Bronco is about half the weight of an SMB (it's at about 4700lbs unloaded), my Bronco sees much more radical terrain than my SMB. It's all about spreading the load. I would be comfortable with sliders on an SMB if they were at least a little thicker than 1/8" steel.

Herb
Old 12-10-2010, 10:49 AM   #8

There's a post here about it, and you can see my rock rails here:

gallery/album.php?album_id=118&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&start=120

They don't attach to the frame and I have jacked up the rig off the rails and used them the way they were intended - sliding along a high rock. Worked great and no body damage. I have not bounced the rig off rocks and hope I never to. Anyway, just wanted to let you know that I've had no problems with body mounted rails and would do it again.

2007 RB50, 6.0
K1WGB
scatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:02 AM   #9

Very good info scatter! Especially, that you have used the rails to jack up the SMB and there were no issues. Yeah, hitting a rock at 45 mph may tweak the body! But, as a jack point, or on a slow crawl over a rock (it is, after all, an SMB - and not a Subaru WRX flat out in 5th gear)... Yes, that sounds promising.

The sliders andrewST saw at the O-Expo are in the thread below, about half way down the page. They look super clean, and appear to have many attachment points, plus built in steps (albeit small):

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3154&start=30

Did any guys ever follow up on these sliders? I saw in the thread that people were putting their names down for a potential order.

pd
Old 12-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #10

Back on line, sorry for being silent
I didn't hear from the guy regarding the frame mounted version but I didn't run after him neither

My van project was on hold being oversea but it will start moving again in january.

Getting back in touch with the builder and will keep you posted with updates.

Andrew
AndrewST is offline   Reply With Quote