Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 PM   #21

Re: Roll Cage

I've been passenger in 3 rollovers and I put a CJ5 on it's side so yes it happens and when you least expect it. 1st roll was in a VW. We rolled it after we could not make a long sandy hill climb then slid backwards. Basic bad bumps and buises. Next was a CJ7 with an experianced driver. Wet conditions and a freshly doug out ledge formed on a mild climb. We just slid into a funky line and it went over fast. One roll but the shoulder belt stopped me from being able to duck. I still get a kink in my neck from time to time but it was not broken. The last time God was in the back seat. The driver builds off road parks and knows more about driving than all of us combined. Here is a link with pictures near the bottom of the page: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3926
I probably posted this before but when I here folks sounding imune then it's time. My fear with the van is that the weight will make the ground break away. I allways drive with the notion I may have to mash the gas to get out of the spot that feels like it's giving way. I also put the shoulder part of my belt behind me so I can duck when the roof comes down on me. I only do that on spots with an increased risk but never on the road. Allways turn into the direction of a roll and allways look up hill when backing or sliding down a hill. Most importantly is not to give up driving. Hit the gas turn the wheel do anything but give up. I've seen door handles scraping the ground and driven up right and I've seen scared folks give up and just let it roll.

Stumpalump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 01:33 PM   #22

Amen!
Old 01-24-2010, 08:51 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jage
Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to see someone put a roll cage in a Sportsmobile, or any van for that matter. The only person I think remotely might need it is UJoint.

What makes ya think that??

My next van is gonna have a full cage, but it will be a purpose built rig that will be terribly impractical.
ujointoffroad.com
UJOINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by carringb
pictures of van rollovers look bad, but nearly all fatalities and serious injuries are due to ejection, not from the roof collapsing (so... wear those seatbelts...)

PS - the stock roof is designed to support 1.5x GVWR.
stock roof supports static (not moving) load.
all bets are off once you add the dynamic energy loading of movement/speed.
chainsaw5vent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #25
Site Team

Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 AM   #26

Me also was afraid about the very soft area in the front of the roof. So i add an strong "U" profile between the B-pillars
I took some screws and a lot of "Sikka" witch is a strong body adhesive. Used in RV constructions.

Of course it is not an roll over bar but it is better than nothing i think. And easy / cheap to install.
Does not help the soft roof pillars....

Attached Thumbnails
IMGP1357.jpg   IMGP1391.jpg  
schluchtenflitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #27

Hi,

Has anyone thought about an EXTERNAL rollcage ? Its likely common in cars but more common on bigger trucks (like Unimog, MAN).
It's cheaper to build, saves the rest of the truck on softer contacts and obviously saves a lot of value space inside the truck/rv.

Something similar is sometimes seen on 110 landys. When I see some of these huge front bumpers I ask myself if this, alone, is worth anything.
My experience was: Bumper- worth nothing. But a cage around the the windshield would have been great several times! to prevent from palmbranch.
derJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by schluchtenflitzer
Does not help the soft roof pillars....
Hi,

When I cut the roof off to install the penthouse I was surprised by how light the sheet metal is/was in a 30 year old van. I was expecting something thicker.

I also added a front support for the penthouse metal frame. The donor van had a stamped tin crossmember in the roof just behind the driver seat. Mine did not. (I assume the sliding door on my van preempted such a stamping.)

This piece is only there to support the front of the penthouse opening. I can't weld for beans so I used heavier steel that I can't burn through.

I suggest that this addition will do nothing for a roll over, but would be the right spot for a roll bar in a van.

Safe driving would also preclude the need for such a piece. Take it easy and live!

Regards,

Gavin
Old 06-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #29

Nice to see this back. I'm waiting for someone to do that full cage so when they get tired of it I can buy it for $500 and use it in 24 Hours of Lemons with the cage prebuilt.

In lieu of that, maybe just a vertical between driver-passenger? You could use it for pole dancing as well.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_gendreau
Nice to see this back. I'm waiting for someone to do that full cage so when they get tired of it I can buy it for $500 and use it in 24 Hours of Lemons with the cage prebuilt.

In lieu of that, maybe just a vertical between driver-passenger? You could use it for pole dancing as well.
Best use of roll cage ever, pole dancing. You are my hero dude, well played!